Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Employer withholding holiday pay? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am 16 years old and have been working for McDonalds for around 4 months. Over that time I have built up £211 holiday pay. I handed my notice in and was told that if I didn t turn up for my shifts during my final two weeks and if I didn t hand in my uniform then I wouldn t be given my holiday pay.
    I was on part-time work as I had sixth form but when it got to the holidays they gave me six eight hour shifts that I physically could not turn up to.
    I m not refusing to hand my uniform in- I m going to do that in a few days.

I got sent a payslip for my final payday and it came up to £32. I don t know if they legally can withhold my money - all my family are saying they can t.

I literally just need to know if I can demand my pay that I have earned.

ReputationRep:
    If you worked the hours you are entitled to the pay. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    Did you tell them that you couldn't turn up for those shifts, or did you just not turn up?

ReputationRep:
    No, they can't withhold your money. Certainly not for working shifts which you weren't contractually obliged to work anyway (I assume not anyway given the number of hours and your age). I would speak to ACAS and then call them back and say you've been advised that they legally owe you the money and you are giving them 5 working days to process it and then you will be taking further action. If your manager won't give you anything helpful ask to speak to the area manager/someone high up.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I told him, he told me it was my problem and that I needed to get the shifts covered or it would count as a no-show

(Original post by DarkMagic)
    Did you tell them that you couldn't turn up for those shifts, or did you just not turn up?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.