Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to another older fitness freak friend of mine who was saying that generally levels of fitness have got worse in our generation than our parents. She was saying that its acceptable to be a lil bit fat and that was considered normal whereas it wasnt 15 years ago. I saw this pic on another forum and I thought is this considered normal now?

ReputationRep:
    The donkey looks a healthy weight ~ a nice ass

The girl, I would say is a bit overweight, but being "fat" is not the same as being fit, fitness is about strength. It always surprises me how short a distance people can run/climb stairs etc for without getting out of breath.

In general, we do less exercise that thirty years ago, and much much less than a hundred years ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicky628)
    The donkey looks a healthy weight ~ a nice ass

The girl, I would say is a bit overweight, but being "fat" is not the same as being fit, fitness is about strength. It always surprises me how short a distance people can run/climb stairs etc for without getting out of breath.

In general, we do less exercise that thirty years ago, and much much less than a hundred years ago
    I agree Vicky do u think that would have been normal to have that belly 30 years ago?? xxx

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how old the girl is ~ it depends quite a lot as people usually gain a bit of weight as they age. Thirty years ago, it probably would not be uncommon, but perhaps not considered "normal"

Theres probably some statistics on the internet somewhere to show the increase in obesity, but I think the public is recently caring less about it, and relaxing their standards of health

ReputationRep:
    Your body fat percentage and your fitness levels are related but they are not dependent i.e. You can be fat and fit and vice versa

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foreverton)
    Your body fat percentage and your fitness levels are related but they are not dependent i.e. You can be fat and fit and vice versa

Posted from TSR Mobile
    to a extent but dats mostly a myth. u wouldnt say she could run a mile would u xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportykitty)
    to a extent but dats mostly a myth. u wouldnt say she could run a mile would u xxx
    No you are wrong, you can be fat and very fit. I bet some of the biggest fattest props in rugby can out run a lot of lean teenagers who spend all day playing xbox and not eating enough. There is no reason why the girl in the pic, presumably you, can't run a mile.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes because if I went running 6 times a week and I ran several miles each time I would have incredible CV fitness, but I could still be overweight if after that I ate 50 tonnes of chocolate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How can you tell how far she can run from a picture?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    How can you tell how far she can run from a picture?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im assuming. I coach running and girls with a paunch like that are often not very long distance or fast xxx

ReputationRep:
    Didn't that girl post her pic on TSR a while back? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    Didn't that girl post her pic on TSR a while back? :lolwut:
    I saw it on GaG didnt kno she was on here! hopefully she might comment xxx

ReputationRep:
    Im assuming. I coach running and girls with a paunch like that are often not very long distance or fast xxx
    You coach people? :noway:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squats and milk)
    You coach people? :noway:
    is that a problem? Its my job! Like a normal job.xxx
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    to a extent but dats mostly a myth.
    Nope. Theoretically I could run 5 miles a day and be incredibly fit, but if I burned 4000kcal a day and I ate 5000 a day I could get fat in the process and still be fit as a fiddle.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just surprised because you don't know anything about training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Nope. Theoretically I could run 5 miles a day and be incredibly fit, but if I burned 4000kcal a day and I ate 5000 a day I could get fat in the process and still be fit as a fiddle.
    I literally just said that lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am what is considered obese but I am healthy, blood tests, blood sugar, cholesterol etc not only come back as being fine but shockingly better than people in my age range who live a healthy lifestlyle/work out.

Probably because I dont drink or smoke, I just have a bad diet drinking a lot of diet sodas. going between undereating some days, then eating a large takeaway another day(and nothing else i.e I starve to the evening then eat a entire pizza) then next day had something like rice or noodles and maybe a bar of chocolate.

I was always slim but with what they call puppy fat till my mid twenties, or I was slim but naturally bulky, used to get called fat when I was actually the right weight for my height, age and build, and at 2 points I was underweight (did get the most female attention when underweight)

The things that usually annoyed me was the idea that I am pigging out all the time, yesterday all I ate was a bowl of cereal, pack of noodles and a large german sausage on a roll with onions (at a fireworks event) all day, today havent even eaten anything yet, I do admit to having a pizza on Monday and veggie calzone on Tuesday though (and on Tuesday craved 3 bars of twix too) that is the extent of what I ate.

Back to actual health, I have never been able to run, probably due to my autism but I used to go to gym and do really well as it was more based on activity than speed, I was going to the gym 2 hours or more a day about 5 days a week at one point yet I didnt really lose weight but I became a little faster and not as drained, though even now obese I can still go for long walks and up and down stairs with almost zero difficulty, I always remember when I did hillwalking a few years ago with 17-19 year olds that liked to smoke and drink, I was so far ahead of them I had to wait a few minutes as they were struggling to even keep up with me who was overweight.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Foreverton)
    I literally just said that lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, cause we all see a post we want to reply to and think "Let me read the rest of the thread before I reply" :lol:

But point proven then, two people saying something along the same lines

ReputationRep:
    No point messaging me telling me you know loads about training because you have been doing it for 5 years. You clearly don't.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.