The Student Room Group

Canceled university place before commencing, now university invoiced me tuition fees

Hi guys, I'm in kinda weird situation, i was supposed to commence studies at University of Aberdeen on 7th September 2015, i chose my courses, tutorials and all the stuff but I had to cancel my place at the uni BEFORE the term started (i did it on 4th september). I wrote an email to admissions office to ask what i'm supposed to do and they told me that I should only confirm to the same email adress that I dont wish to come to the university anymore. I did so, also canceled SAAS application and got email confirmation from both. Today I received an invoice to pay my tuition fees. I did not even travel to Aberdeen, havent take any courses, exams etc. I was aware that there is a withdrawal form at their webpage which shoud be sent to school, but i thought it doesnt apply to me, as I havent commenced my studies, and the lady from admissions office told me that I only shoudl write an email.

Anyone was in same situation? What shoudl I do? What happens if I simply dont pay anything? Can it have legal consequences? I dont intend to attend that uni ever in my life again so I dont care if they ban me from doing so. I applied as an international student from Czech Republic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Have you contacted them to ask what is going on? It could just be a technical error.
Reply 2
Original post by rmhumphries
Have you contacted them to ask what is going on? It could just be a technical error.

is the czech rep not in the EU? Should you not get into Aberdeen for free anyway?
Reply 3
Yes, i sent them an email immediately, but it was on friday afternoon so i can't expect them to reply before monday. Czech republic is in the EU and SAAS pays the fee, but I canceled the SAAS application after I canceled the university place. funny thing that the lady from admissions office told me to do so. I even asked her if there is anything else I should do, i also mentioned that i would like to avoid being liable to pay the tuition fees or something.

I hope that the whole thing is just some misunderstanding and that they will accept my withdrawal even though i didn't use the form. If I had to send the form now, I would probably have to pay 60% of the fee (according to the refund policy at their webpage), which is crazy, considering that i never started attending the uni.

Thanks for the help, I will keep you posted as soon as I get their response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending