Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi - I'm in year 11 and I'm picking what A-levels I want to do. I'm considering taking Classical Civilisation and I wanted to know if anyone has / is taking it, if it's good and how hard it is? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dunno but teenage Civilization/Age of Empires nerd me would have loved to have done that. XD

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my A2 year now, I would recommend it, some of the the topics can be really interesting such as Alexander the Great who I am currently studying. However, be sure you like reading because there is an awful lot involved, more so than modern History A level.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in A2 (OCR) I don't know, the first year stuff was interesting as we read the Odyssey and classic tragedies like Medea and Antigone (it's basically English literature in that aspect) as well as some context to Ancient Greek civilisations.
    Now in the second year there's some literature-y things (The Illiad and The Aeneid) but also Art and Architecture, which is A) A bit dull and B) Kinda hard.

I think it's an alright subject, but there is a lot of reading involved

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys - I found that really helpful 💭😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of different routes that your school can take with Classical Civ so check what modules your school offers and see if they sound interesting.

It's a well-respected A Level and is excellent prep for a degree in Classics (whether straight Classics or Ancient History or Classical Civilization) as well as History.

ReputationRep:
    A great A level (I am in A2). Although I agree, a lot of reading is involved, the first year is a fair amount more interesting and easier to obtain marks (although the subject is by no means an easy or soft A level). The art and Architecture side requires a lot of memorising and is considerably harder in my opinion, although it may just be personal preference

ReputationRep:
    Thank youuu 😊 the college I want to go to does say that Classical Civilisation is a lot of reading but I think I could do that - the architecture side however I think I would find a bit difficult 😂 x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 9, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.