The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Medicine Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MedicalMouse
UCL Rejection today, which was expected considering my stats are:

BMAT: 3.1, 3.3, 2B (panicked on the day got completely confused with the essays...excuses :P)
GCSES: 5A* 4A 1B
A Levels: A*AAa
Degree: 2:1 Masters in a science related degree

goodluck to everyone else applying :smile:

Awk unlucky mate, you applying for A101? And where else have you applied to?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
UCL Rejection today, which was expected considering my stats are:

BMAT: 3.1, 3.3, 2B (panicked on the day got completely confused with the essays...excuses :P)
GCSES: 5A* 4A 1B
A Levels: A*AAa
Degree: 2:1 Masters in a science related degree

My rejection email basically said my BMAT results were lower than UCL's average therefore it is unsuccessful.

goodluck to everyone else applying :smile:

Is there any reason you chose to take a science-related degree instead of applying to medicine in the first place?
Original post by amccluskey
Awk unlucky mate, you applying for A101? And where else have you applied to?

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 
Is there any reason you chose to take a science-related degree instead of applying to medicine in the first place?

(edited 8 years ago)
nope all A100 courses as my degree only taught basic anatomy modules and therefore aren't really sufficient enough for A101

BSMS, Birmingham and UEA, and yourself? :smile:

Is this your own point of view or do you mean it in the sense of official requirements? Because there are quite a few A101 courses that don't require a science-related or biology-related degree. You could technically get into those with a 2:1 in modern history. :tongue:

Also, how are you planning to fund the medical degree? :redface: Especially at UCL, with six compulsory years...
nope all A100 courses as my degree only taught basic anatomy modules and therefore aren't really sufficient enough for A101

BSMS, Birmingham and UEA, and yourself? :smile:

Ah right fair enough then, Oxford, Newcastle and Bristol. Felt the Sting of four rejections last year myself, hurts a bit, didn't even get an interview 😂
Original post by Hydeman
Is this your own point of view or do you mean it in the sense of official requirements? Because there are quite a few A101 courses that don't require a science-related or biology-related degree. You could technically get into those with a 2:1 in modern history. :tongue:

Also, how are you planning to fund the medical degree? :redface: Especially at UCL, with six compulsory years...

oops, should have said in my own point of view rather than requirement...i would personally rather learn in 5+ years than 4.
I have been saving the past year, and as long as I carry on this year hopefully should be okay :smile: how about yourself?
oops, should have said in my own point of view rather than requirement...i would personally rather learn in 5+ years than 4.
I have been saving the past year, and as long as I carry on this year hopefully should be okay :smile: how about yourself?

Ah, I see. I'm a gap year applicant and I haven't got a first degree (school leaver :3) so I'll be able to fund my degree with grants and loans from Student Finance Wales. :smile:

It's also worth mentioning that you'd still only be paying for the first four years on the six-year degree, I think; the NHS pays for your degree from the fifth year onwards. The only difference is that you'll have to pay upfront on the A100 courses rather than getting a flexible repayment agreement from Student Finance.
Original post by Hydeman
Ah, I see. I'm a gap year applicant and I haven't got a first degree (school leaver :3) so I'll be able to fund my degree with grants and loans from Student Finance Wales. :smile:

It's also worth mentioning that you'd still only be paying for the first four years on the six-year degree, I think; the NHS pays for your degree from the fifth year onwards. The only difference is that you'll have to pay upfront on the A100 courses rather than getting a flexible repayment agreement from Student Finance.

Hydeman is a ****ing G when it comes to the information
Reply 249
Original post by 
Why are you saying "thank you" like i agreed to do what u asked?

Sorry I didn't mean it like that! Just meant to ask politely.
3.7, 3.3, 4A, anyone think I got a chance? Tbh I'm not expecting to get an interview but then again the process is holistic so it's hard to tell. 8A*s 2As at GCSE, 4As at AS with 93% avg across the three I continued (92% across all four), predicted A*A*A. My personal statement is pretty good. Can one bad day ruin my application?
Original post by masryman97
3.7, 3.3, 4A, anyone think I got a chance? Tbh I'm not expecting to get an interview but then again the process is holistic so it's hard to tell. 8A*s 2As at GCSE, 4As at AS with 93% avg across the three I continued (92% across all four), predicted A*A*A. My personal statement is pretty good. Can one bad day ruin my application?

I would say with your overall stats you'll be in with a decent shout, probably later in the cycle, hard to tell, consult Hydeman for confirmation 😈
Original post by amccluskey
I would say with your overall stats you'll be in with a decent shout, probably later in the cycle, hard to tell, consult Hydeman for confirmation 😈

Thanks -- it seems like I'm some sort of expert now. :lol:

Original post by masryman97

UCL has a holistic admissions process and, all things considered, you've got a pretty strong application. People with BMAT scores like yours have received offers before (have a read through this if you have time -- there's no real pattern, as you will notice).

There was a really good video that I watched which was an open day presentation by the admissions tutor for medicine, Dr. Brenda Cross, in which it was mentioned that UCL first screens all applications for minimum requirements, then uses AS grades, the personal statement, reference and, to a lesser extent, GCSE grades, to determine 'priority' for further consideration.

The BMAT scores are then used to determine suitability for interview, giving a final 'priority' to each applicant and going through them in descending order until all 700 interview slots have been exhausted. I wanted to provide a link to this but it seems that it's been taken down because I can't find it anywhere.

In that sense, you'll have a higher priority for further consideration than I would because of your high AS grades and UMS, despite my (slightly) higher BMAT score and comparable GCSEs. Don't worry too much; worrying won't affect the outcome at all so it's best not to do it and just check your emails regularly. :smile:
Say what you want about the Hydeman but my God, he knows admissions- another magnificent performance
Reply 254
any graduate applicants heard back yet?
Reply 255
Does anyone know whether they still consider academic factors post-interview? I know some universities (e.g. Cambridge) use the interview as only part of your profile for selection, whereas others (e.g. Birmingham) say that once you've got an interview it's a level playing field and offers are given out purely based on interview performance. Which is it for UCL? Thanks
Original post by TRBen
Does anyone know whether they still consider academic factors post-interview? I know some universities (e.g. Cambridge) use the interview as only part of your profile for selection, whereas others (e.g. Birmingham) say that once you've got an interview it's a level playing field and offers are given out purely based on interview performance. Which is it for UCL? Thanks

I'm not sure, but I think with UCL, they already know that they want you academic-wise (and personal statement, BMAT, GCSE etc) when they invite you for interview and the interview process is simply to "confirm" their choice? They say that they never invite candidates for interview without having a space for that candidate and so each candidate has a fair chance at a spot regardless of when they call you for interview. If I'm not mistaken, UCL interview success rate is 5/7 (5 offers for every 7 interviews) so i'd say if you get your interview, you have a good shot of getting an offer as long as you don't screw your interview up.
Reply 257
I have an interview on the 20th Jan :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 258
Original post by Sp22
I have an interview on the 20th Jan :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats!! Stats please? :smile: oh and r u a home student?
Reply 259
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending