Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all,

    I have a question regarding the application process to Oxford.

    I have applied to Christ Church College to study English Language and Literature, sat the ELAT on Wednesday 4th November, and am in the process of scanning my essay to email to them.

    However, I ticked the disability box (advised by the UCAS admissions tutor) as I have suffered with bad ME/CFS for four years. All I am wondering is this: as I had an email from the admissions tutor asking me for more information, she has asked for a letter from my Doctor, or teacher, which I have provided. However, the letter gives very little information on my ME/CFS, and she did mention "other comments".

    So, should I write in the email/in an attached word document, about my ME/CFS? Should I do this and write about the ME, which has led to time off of school (also mentioned in my reference, albeit briefly), and the symptoms that it has caused (e.g. migraines, difficulty to concentrate, forgetfulness, and painful joints), as well as that I am now under the ME professionals at the local hospital (something not mentioned in my reference)? All that was mentioned in my reference was that it has led me to miss time off school, nothing more, and especially nothing about how long I've had it for and that that was the sole reason for my GCSE Grades (4A*s, 2As, 3Bs, and 2Cs), otherwise I would have done much better (the lack of this being mentioned has greatly concerned me).

    What would you advise? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated as I have to send this off on Monday at the latest!
    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    I would get a doctor somewhere to write a more detailed letter and for them to send it straight to your first-choice college's admissions office. Whilst you are in many ways the best person to write about your own health problems, Oxford would much rather it come from a professional. So if you think the letter you sent from your doctor/teacher/whoever was not detailed enough, you need to get a more detailed one from them. I think that would be the best avenue. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are asking/what has already been sent to the college?
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.