Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I am choosing my options for A level and am unsure what I need to take if I want to be a maths teacher, anyone have ideas?

    You'll usually need a maths or maths-related degree to do a maths PGCE, so you need to check out maths uni courses and what A levels they want. Maths will be an obvious requirement, maybe some of the top unis will require further maths or STEP etc. But as long as you have maths A level you can do schemes like Teach First and become a maths teacher, so if you can find a uni that only wants maths A level for example then in theory you are free to choose whatever other A levels you like

    Well if you want to be a maths teacher.... Maths is a good start lol. It doesn't really matter what degree you choose if you want to teach GCSE level though, well at least it didn't, one of mine did like politics or history or some ****.
    If you want to do A-Level maths then you will need to do a degree that's got a bit of maths in it (it doesn't have to be maths, in fact not many teachers have a maths degree).
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.