Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Since starting university I've started smoking regularly, stealing other peoples food, not going to church, wasting money, getting really behind in my work, let myself get unfit and unhealthy, talking to random men online, not turning up to my lectures, letting my room get in a right state...has any of this happened to anyone else? Can you give any advice for how I can get back on track? Would be really grateful xxx
    It may be because I'm unhappy in my accommodation, already transferred once from all girls accommodation, to mixed accommodation but all boys corridor Can't say that I'm particularly enjoying my course either.

ReputationRep:
    You should really go to your student support centre and see a counsellor there, it seems like you're going through a pretty rough patch.
    I'd advise you to really go for it now by booking that appointment with your uni support centre.
    Start changing little things day by day. You could start by cutting back on the smoking/bad food or aiming to wake up earlier and earlier each day. Then you could set yourself little goals like "If I go to this lecture and pay attention fully I can do ____". I know it sounds slightly patronising but it really does make a difference as time goes on.
    Then you could dedicate an hour or so a day to reading around your lectures to get a better sense of what to expect in the exams, or doing coursework assignments. This could also increase as time progresses.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    You should really go to your student support centre and see a counsellor there, it seems like you're going through a pretty rough patch.
    I'd advise you to really go for it now by booking that appointment with your uni support centre.
    Start changing little things day by day. You could start by cutting back on the smoking/bad food or aiming to wake up earlier and earlier each day. Then you could set yourself little goals like "If I go to this lecture and pay attention fully I can do ____". I know it sounds slightly patronising but it really does make a difference as time goes on.
    Then you could dedicate an hour or so a day to reading around your lectures to get a better sense of what to expect in the exams, or doing coursework assignments. This could also increase as time progresses.

Hope that helps.
    Hi, I have thought that I should see a counsellor but never got round to it, but I will book an appointment come Monday Thanks for the everyday advice, I will try to start doing these things xx

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.