Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is History a difficult A-Level? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would like to take history as an a level but I am thinking I might find it to difficult as I didn't take it for GCSE, for some reason I took geography? So will it be too hard as I haven't done it at GCSE's?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by kyralily)
    I would like to take history as an a level but I am thinking I might find it to difficult as I didn't take it for GCSE, for some reason I took geography? So will it be too hard as I haven't done it at GCSE's?
    To me History is one of those A Levels you can take without doing GCSE. As long as you are good at writing essays, and remembering a lot of events/dates/possibly quotes, you should consider it. But definitely look at what History options your school does at A Level because they tend to vary school to school and you don't want to be stuck studying an era of history you have no interest in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    To me History is one of those A Levels you can take without doing GCSE. As long as you are good at writing essays, and remembering a lot of events/dates/possibly quotes, you should consider it. But definitely look at what History options your school does at A Level because they tend to vary school to school and you don't want to be stuck studying an era of history you have no interest in!
    100% agree with the last bit, and chances are you won't do well if you don't enjoy it.

A lot of sixth forms like mine have two separate history courses, each following different routes. One will tend to do the opposite of the other. For example one course does Fascism in 20th Cen. Europe, whereas the other does Communism in China and Russia.

ReputationRep:
    I found it my hardest A level, I got A* and A in my subjects and in history I just scraped a C, it's not even being good at writing essays, you have to do it in a certain order and be able to figure out how to answer the absolute BS questions they give you.

Sciences were easier for me than history was.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by jamestg)
    100% agree with the last bit, and chances are you won't do well if you don't enjoy it.

A lot of sixth forms like mine have two separate history courses, each following different routes. One will tend to do the opposite of the other. For example one course does Fascism in 20th Cen. Europe, whereas the other does Communism in China and Russia.
    In my old school one class used to do Russia, and the other class would do Germany at AS, but they stopped that because they found the German paper easier.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by harinimnida)
    I found it my hardest A level, I got A* and A in my subjects and in history I just scraped a C, it's not even being good at writing essays, you have to do it in a certain order and be able to figure out how to answer the absolute BS questions they give you.

Sciences were easier for me than history was.
    I think it depends on the exam board whether or not you have to be good at essays. I did CCEA, and the entire A Level was essay based, no coursework.

ReputationRep:
    So yeah, I did GCSE History and I'm now doing A-level History. Even though one of the modules at AS is repeated from GCSE (Germany) - I had been finding it very, very hard. Luckily I've settled onto the course now but I'm still struggling with the new style of essays. My first essay got 17/20 which was pretty satisfying but it took a lot of work, much more than anything I've done before in History.

Look at the modules, if they seem interesting or if you're already interested in that time period - do it! It's really, really interesting and although it's hard work - it's rewarding!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It can be difficult. Depends on what period and exam board your school does.

If I remember correctly, I had the hardest exam board and a period that pretty much no school chose, so it was difficult.

That said, I also really enjoyed it and put a lot of time into it during A2 so I ended up with a very high A (would have been A* had I not pissed about during AS).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I think it depends on the exam board whether or not you have to be good at essays. I did CCEA, and the entire A Level was essay based, no coursework.
    I was with Edexcel, I did:
    Communism and Democracy - C
    Britain in the Later 20C - B
    The Challenge of Fascism - E
    Historical Enquiry (Coursework) - C

The structure of our exams were different in A2 than AS which made no sense to me so I got a wonderful E.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I was with Edexcel, I did:
    Communism and Democracy - C
    Britain in the Later 20C - B
    The Challenge of Fascism - E
    Historical Enquiry (Coursework) - C

The structure of our exams were different in A2 than AS which made no sense to me so I got a wonderful E.
    That sounds bloody terrible.

I did:

Germany 1918-1945 - B
    Ireland 1800-1869 - A
    Nationalism in Ireland 1800-1900 - B
    Partition of Ireland 1900-1925 - A

1 mark off an A overall, oh, so close! (You can also tell I am an old N.I student with the amount of Irish history there.)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'd find it difficult without a GCSE but it isn't an easy subject to do well in.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Irish but studied in England so I probably heard half of that from what my mother told me.

But basically never trust Edexcel.
    This is true, my history book has so much bias. It's like c'monnnnnnn I know better than to trust what you're telling me
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I'm Irish but studied in England so I probably heard half of that from what my mother told me.

But basically never trust Edexcel.
    I never sat an Edexcel exam. At A Level all mine were CCEA, and at GCSE they were a mix of CCEA and AQA. Very glad of that since I have heard that Edexcel is a *****.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.