Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I report a fellow student teacher for homophobic bullying? watch

Announcements

I am looking for advice.
    I am a student teacher who is gay. A guy on my course asked me quite rudely if i was gay and made some remarks in front of teachers which I got upset about. My mentor and tutor found out I was upset and said they don't know how to deal with it as a school but will do, I said leave it, and to forget about it.

However, today, a few weeks on from this I got chosen by some male trainees to role play in front of the whole group and as I was getting up that guy said "do you want him to bend over as well?" in front of the whole 37 of us.. I actually did not hear what he said but I heard a few gasps and I said "what did he say?" And people were laughing and one trainee said to me did you hear what he said and I replied no, but I had an idea it was to do with my sexuality. And a few people then later told me what he said. I think even the trainer heard too.

I feel shaken by this and feel this is inappropiate and out of line. I am just worried about how and if I should email the director who wasn't there at the time. I don't want to bring trouble to myself or anything. Is this reasonable for me to bring this up? A few people said they are thinking of complaining sending emails, whether they do or not is another thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am looking for advice.
    I am a student teacher who is gay. A guy on my course asked me quite rudely if i was gay and made some remarks in front of teachers which I got upset about. My mentor and tutor found out I was upset and said they don't know how to deal with it as a school but will do, I said leave it, and to forget about it.

However, today, a few weeks on from this I got chosen by some male trainees to role play in front of the whole group and as I was getting up that guy said "do you want him to bend over as well?" in front of the whole 37 of us.. I actually did not hear what he said but I heard a few gasps and I said "what did he say?" And people were laughing and one trainee said to me did you hear what he said and I replied no, but I had an idea it was to do with my sexuality. And a few people then later told me what he said. I think even the trainer heard too.

I feel shaken by this and feel this is inappropiate and out of line. I am just worried about how and if I should email the director who wasn't there at the time. I don't want to bring trouble to myself or anything. Is this reasonable for me to bring this up? A few people said they are thinking of complaining sending emails, whether they do or not is another thing.
    YES. We don't need idiots like this teaching our kids.

This is not acceptable and he would be horrendous with a vulnerable student in his class.

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for advice.

YES if he thinks its acceptable to act this way towards a peer, could you imagine how he might treat students

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for advice.

Yes. That's awful. Imagine what he would do if he had to teach someone gay? Please report this. I hope you're ok.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that is definitely inappropriate. You wouldn't want somebody as immature and ignorant as that teaching children

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for advice.

Yes!! Not only is there a question of what he might do/say if he had to teach someone who was gay, but he's completely out of line and made you upset and shaken!

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for advice.

Not only should you complain for your sake, but also for the sake of his potential future students. This type of person should not be teaching kids, I've been bullied by teachers before and was scared to go to certain lessons...

ReputationRep:
    YES! Someone like him shouldn't be allowed within a metre of impressionable students. Kids mimic what they see. If they see that it's okay to make comments like that, then they'll implement his prejudiced ideas and some other poor kid out there, who isn't as strong when it comes to their sexuality and beliefs like we are, will be a victim. If this ******** doesn't know the different between right and wrong, then how can he teach kids about morality?

Teachers are there to teach. Seems like this trashy loser still has quite a lot of learning left to do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.