Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Got offered two jobs- unsure what to do! Any advice? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a recent graduate and 4 weeks ago I was offered a full time temp job as an admin assistant in a hospital. My DBS check has only just been completed and I'm still waiting for them to give me a start date. I've signed an acceptance letter but have not been issued with a contract. However, today I got a call from a leading retail store I'd previously been interviewed for and got offered the position of a customer assistant for weekends and evenings.
    I could potentially accept both jobs, as the hospital one is full time 9-5pm weekdays and the other one is weekends and evenings.
    The trouble is, the retail store wants me to complete two full days worth of training which is going to be on the 23rd and 24th of this month. What if the hospital wants me to start my job on the same date or before!
    I know the hospital job is better pay and hours but its taking them so long to give me a start date and I'm quickly running out of money during this holiday season the customer assistant job pays every two weeks which would be ideal right now!
    I don't know what to do and I'm supposed to meet the retail manager on monday to sign the contract.
    Anybody got any advice? It'll be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    ... take both of the jobs and ask if you can do the two days of training on the weekend if it's possible..hmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    ... take both of the jobs and ask if you can do the two days of training on the weekend if it's possible..hmm
    Hi thanks for your comment! I've asked them that already and they said they're training four others at the same time so it would only be possible on those two dates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rpe)
    Hi, I'm a recent graduate and 4 weeks ago I was offered a full time temp job as an admin assistant in a hospital. My DBS check has only just been completed and I'm still waiting for them to give me a start date. I've signed an acceptance letter but have not been issued with a contract. However, today I got a call from a leading retail store I'd previously been interviewed for and got offered the position of a customer assistant for weekends and evenings.
    I could potentially accept both jobs, as the hospital one is full time 9-5pm weekdays and the other one is weekends and evenings.
    The trouble is, the retail store wants me to complete two full days worth of training which is going to be on the 23rd and 24th of this month. What if the hospital wants me to start my job on the same date or before!
    I know the hospital job is better pay and hours but its taking them so long to give me a start date and I'm quickly running out of money during this holiday season the customer assistant job pays every two weeks which would be ideal right now!
    I don't know what to do and I'm supposed to meet the retail manager on monday to sign the contract.
    Anybody got any advice? It'll be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!!
    When you start the hospital job you can tell them you had 23rd and 24th booked up and that you can't work those days. They will honour it if it's an NHS hospital. Bear in mind you will have to tell your manager at the hospital that you are going to work another job - some NHS hospitals have policies about this as being tired/unable to do your job due to other commitments/unable to be flexible to meet the business need e.g. if they needed you to work late one day and you couldn't because you had to go to the other job, this may affect your employment in the hospital.

I would never advise working both of those jobs to be honest but it is obviously your choice. There's a girl in my work who works at Asda as well and she is the worst assistant, she's always tired from late shifts and we're considering getting rid of her for someone who can focus on the job. I imagine it would be horrible for you and you would be very tired but if you need to do it for financial reasons hopefully you can make it work without tiring yourself out

[e] if it's an NHS hospital the delay is probably caused by a) your references not coming back in a timely fashion or b) they are waiting for whoever is in the post you are taking to leave. You can call the recruitment department or your new line manager to ask what the delay is and they should be able to tell you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rpe)
    Hi thanks for your comment! I've asked them that already and they said they're training four others at the same time so it would only be possible on those two dates
    oh dear :/ has the hospital given you the official start date? just do it, hopefully it doesn't clash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    When you start the hospital job you can tell them you had 23rd and 24th booked up and that you can't work those days. They will honour it if it's an NHS hospital. Bear in mind you will have to tell your manager at the hospital that you are going to work another job - some NHS hospitals have policies about this as being tired/unable to do your job due to other commitments/unable to be flexible to meet the business need e.g. if they needed you to work late one day and you couldn't because you had to go to the other job, this may affect your employment in the hospital.

I would never advise working both of those jobs to be honest but it is obviously your choice. There's a girl in my work who works at Asda as well and she is the worst assistant, she's always tired from late shifts and we're considering getting rid of her for someone who can focus on the job. I imagine it would be horrible for you and you would be very tired but if you need to do it for financial reasons hopefully you can make it work without tiring yourself out

[e] if it's an NHS hospital the delay is probably caused by a) your references not coming back in a timely fashion or b) they are waiting for whoever is in the post you are taking to leave. You can call the recruitment department or your new line manager to ask what the delay is and they should be able to tell you
    Thanks for your reply maybe I should just reject the retail job. I don't want to lose the full time job because the pay is much better and would be good experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    oh dear :/ has the hospital given you the official start date? just do it, hopefully it doesn't clash.
    No start date given yet i'm scared to sign two contracts just in case it doesn't work out the way I think it will :/

ReputationRep:
    How many hours would you have to do in the retail job OP?

I think the hospital would be OK with giving you those days off if you explain you have a prior commitment, although they probably won't pay you for them.

I think take the retail job too on a trail basis. You can always quit if it becomes too much but at least it will help your money situation in the short term (and you'll also have a back up if the NHS job doesn't become permanent.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkMagic)
    How many hours would you have to do in the retail job OP?

I think the hospital would be OK with giving you those days off if you explain you have a prior commitment, although they probably won't pay you for them.

I think take the retail job too on a trail basis. You can always quit if it becomes too much but at least it will help your money situation in the short term (and you'll also have a back up if the NHS job doesn't become permanent.)
    Hi thanks for the response! i think the minimum for the retail job is 10 hours but can go up to 16 during busy periods. Do you think it'll be unprofessional if I quit the retail job because it got too much? Also, I don't want them to give me a bad reference incase i need one from them in the future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rpe)
    Hi thanks for the response! i think the minimum for the retail job is 10 hours but can go up to 16 during busy periods. Do you think it'll be unprofessional if I quit the retail job because it got too much? Also, I don't want them to give me a bad reference incase i need one from them in the future
    Not really, it may even go in your favour as you'll have more to talk about during future interviews. If you're asked why you left, you have a few ways you can spin it. You can say you needed a bit of extra cash for Christmas presents, the retail job was just temporary for Christmas (might be risky if they check with the shop though), it was a backup for the admin job or you can just be honest. I don't think most employers would expect you to have two jobs for long periods anyway unless you had dependants or the jobs were both part time.

I wouldn't advise doing them both if there's lots of travel involved , or if you're given mostly late shifts. 2x 5/6 hour shifts at the weekend, or 3x 4 hour shifts should be manageable though.

What I would suggest if you do take both jobs, is to speak to HMRC about your tax code. They'll probably put all your allowance towards the NHS job, which means you'll pay 20% tax on everything you earn at the retail job. That might affect your decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    you're not going to get a good reference if you take a job then quit after a month - think of the difficulty this causes the retail employer who has to go through the whole hiring process again

can you call the hospital and explain that you're concerned you haven't been offered a start date? ask for a reason? you could even explain the situation, that you have another offer but are worried about turning it down when it doesn't feel like this job is all that sure

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.