Turn on thread page Beta

Despise my degree and want to do something else, but not sure what?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I feel that I rushed into university. After finishing a levels, I went straight into university. I applied to study business and human resources at the University of Hertfordshire. The university is nice, the people are nice. However I regret doing my course. The reason for that is due to the fact that I despise mathematical issues, and within this business module, other than the human resources part, its all I do. I am a student who is capable of doing work, no matter how hard it is. However I feel that with this course, I just have absolutely no passion or interest for business. I know it gives big money and a lot of people are into business, but for me I'm not interested enough into it to study it as a degree. Human resources seems more fascinating as in the future I see myself working with human problems and dealing with them rather than businesses.
    What can I do? a gap year to just do HR or another choice?
    sorry just a confused 18 year old 1st year

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you like the university but not the course, you could always ask your tutor/adviser about changing course. From looking at your uni's website, it seems there are two other undergrad courses that involve HR: "Human Resources Management/Human Resources with a Language" and "Human Resources and Information Systems". Have a look at the course content and stuff. Do either of those courses appeal to you? If so, I'm sure an adviser at uni would listen and you might have a chance to transfer, and since your course also involves HR, you might be able to transfer straight away (although you might still have to wait until next year). Even if it's not possible to transfer (although I feel like this is unlikely), a tutor might be able to give you some extra resources/different ways to approach the parts of the course you don't like, or suggest alternative options.
    Whether you end up continuing with this course or choosing another one, one thing to consider is that the first years of most courses tend to have a lot of crappy compulsory modules. The later years of most courses usually are a lot more flexible.
    Hope you figure it out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbsmith18)
    Basically, I feel that I rushed into university. After finishing a levels, I went straight into university. I applied to study business and human resources at the University of Hertfordshire. The university is nice, the people are nice. However I regret doing my course. The reason for that is due to the fact that I despise mathematical issues, and within this business module, other than the human resources part, its all I do. I am a student who is capable of doing work, no matter how hard it is. However I feel that with this course, I just have absolutely no passion or interest for business. I know it gives big money and a lot of people are into business, but for me I'm not interested enough into it to study it as a degree. Human resources seems more fascinating as in the future I see myself working with human problems and dealing with them rather than businesses.
    What can I do? a gap year to just do HR or another choice?
    sorry just a confused 18 year old 1st year
    Hey I’ve actually applied to do that course but im going to do a year abroad. I just wanted to know what it’s like? What are the lecturers like? and is there anything we can do before hand to ensure we succeed?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2018
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.