Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Also, where did you get this idea from?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know I don't see it as oppression it's just a way to dress modestly
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I suppose because men aren't required cover their hair like that, so people think it's a form of inequality?

Disclaimer: not saying that this is my view by the way. I don't really have an opinion on it, other than that people should be allowed to wear whatever the heck they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamthetruth)
    I don't know I don't see it as oppression it's just a way to dress modestly
    Lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Also, where did you get this idea from?
    I don't think it's a form of oppression if it's optional but I know some who wear it just because they have to and I think people just think it's unequal, unfair and unnecessary but of course, they're Western people so what we know isn't what they know. If that makes sense...

ReputationRep:
    Because Liberal man want all women to dress in ugly clothes and show as much flesh and form as possible so they can perv at them.

ReputationRep:
    Many people see the hijab as representing the woman's need to be more modest than a man. It suggests that she is being held resposible for men viewing her lustfully, rather than the men themselves being accountable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Lmao
    I don't get it why you laughing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    Because Liberal man want all women to dress in ugly clothes and show as much flesh and form as possible so they can perv at them.
    Liberal men? Hardly. A lot are rather conservative and think women are their toys.

Oh, and politics generally doesn't influence attraction in that way.

ReputationRep:
    Liberal men? Hardly. A lot are rather conservative and think women are their toys.

Oh, and politics generally doesn't influence attraction in that way.
    Fashion and media does influence peoples attraction. So Liberal men on these area's change how women dress over time. Also Conservative means Classical Liberal. It doesn't have anything to do with maintaining things of value. If you want that you look for High Tories. All the High Tories I like hate Liberal clothing and the way women are treated by Liberalism.

ReputationRep:
    Fashion and media does influence peoples attraction. So Liberal men on these area's change how women dress over time. Also Conservative means Classical Liberal. It doesn't have anything to do with maintaining things of value. If you want that you look for High Tories. All the High Tories I like hate Liberal clothing and the way women are treated by Liberalism.
    I should have known there was no point in writing a comment for you - all this High Tories *******s again :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I should have known there was no point in writing a comment for you - all this High Tories *******s again :lol:
    I could say the same of you. You aren't rather dense. I don't mean stupid, I mean aren't open to other views or idea's.

ReputationRep:
    I could say the same of you. You aren't rather dense. I don't mean stupid, I mean aren't open to other views or idea's.
    I am. I have friends with all different views. I just think yours are pretty ridiculous and in all fairness, extremely outdated so no, I don't think you could say the same of me with the same legitimacy.

ReputationRep:
    Not an oppression, I know a couple of girls who wear a hijab who feel liberated.

ReputationRep:
    'Cause ethnocentric viewpointz.

ReputationRep:
    I am. I have friends with all different views. I just think yours are pretty ridiculous and in all fairness, extremely outdated so no, I don't think you could say the same of me with the same legitimacy.
    :facepalm2::lol:

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2::lol:
    Name:  tumblr_mn28nxZIBv1raxepao1_500.gif
Views: 204
Size:  467.8 KB

Anyway, here's a gif :lovehug:

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because people like to form ideas on things without fully understanding them first. Also, most people learn about Islam from the negative new stories so the information they have is pretty biased. In my opinion, forcing someone to do anything is a form of oppression but many muslim women choose to wear them as a form of religious expression and therefore free will. I saw a video by a young woman who is a muslim who was talking about the empowerment she feels from dressing modesty; it was celebrating the woman's ability to force people to view her in a way which focuses on her personality and reduces the objectification and over-sexualisation of her body.

ReputationRep:
    Well, because of what happens to women who choose not to wear it in Islamic countries. Even then, it might seem less unfair if men had to wear it as well. But demanding more modesty from women than from men (and punishing them for a lack of modesty), really goes against the sense of justice.

Let's just say that Feminism already spent decades breaking through the barriers instilled by one patriarchal Abrahamic faith. The thought of having those barriers put back in place, and perhaps even more, is very upsetting.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling the wind blowing through your hair is what freedom really is (as a woman, of course).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.