Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so yo guys i need to decide between history or maths i am already taking psychology, English lit and sociology but idk maths or history? i got a c in maths gcse but thats cuz i put no effort in and i will put tons of effort in this year and i didnt do history for gcse at all so i only have little knowledge which would be easier for me to take??? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Only a C in Maths GCSE? They won't let you take Maths I'd imagine. Not doing history puts you at a slight disadvantage but it should be alright.

ReputationRep:
    I would do history, a C will not suffice for maths a level. A lot of the skills you develop in English transfer to history anyway so it's not necessary to study at GCSE to do a level. Maths doesn't really compliment your other subjects, I would suggest history

ReputationRep:
    Your other three a levels all seem like they might require quite a bit of essay writing so I would go for maths just for a little bit of variation seeing as history is a lot of essay writing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phanshipper)
    so yo guys i need to decide between history or maths i am already taking psychology, English lit and sociology but idk maths or history? i got a c in maths gcse but thats cuz i put no effort in and i will put tons of effort in this year and i didnt do history for gcse at all so i only have little knowledge which would be easier for me to take??? thanks!
    You have to get an A to do A-level maths, if you only got a C it honestly isn't worth considering A-level maths.

If you're good at essays and you're interested in the units they're doing, take it. But personally it looks like you're scraping the barrel for a fourth option, so just take three. You don't want to be doing something you only took just so you have a fourth option.

ReputationRep:
    You would need a B or above to do Maths A levels.

ReputationRep:
    I do history and maths

I recommend you do history a level ,because its goes well with your other subjects also gcse history doesnt help much because there is so easy. It is fine to take a level history if you havemt done it at gcse

I dont recommend maths if.you got a C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phanshipper)
    If your English is good then go for History , it's more suited to the subjects you're doing at the moment. My school doesn't really like people below an A/B doing Maths a level as it's just so much of a step up!

ReputationRep:
    History! Don't do maths with a C - that's really not high enough in my opinion. I know people with As and A*s who struggle/d.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with History. A C at GCSE will probably mean that you will struggle and the school will not let you do it at A-Level, most of them want at least a B, sometimes an A. Not having done GCSE History probably won't put you that behind. I know people who didn't do GCSE, but are doing fine at A-Level and you generally won't need prior knowledge of the content, only the essay skills which you should have to an extent from your other essay subjects.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.