Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We decided to go with unihousing for our second year house, possibly the worst decision we have ever made. Please do not use them.

Firstly, when we moved into the house it was a complete state. It had not been cleaned, there was a fridge in the the living area, the oven was disgusting. There was mould in the house, a lack of firearms and exposed wires. Our house has a cellar we were not shown in our viewing- this was full of rubbish (old sofas, broken glass, cardboard boxes ect.). This basement has no electricity and is still currently in the same condition as when we moved in. They did make some minor improvements to the house after numerous complaints the house is now in a good condition (although not as modern as there website claims).

Secondly, another issue we have encountered is the customer service. At the beginning of the academic year we were told we had until the 1st December to decide if wanted the property for the next year. However, at the end of October we had an unexpected phone call saying we had an hour to decide if wanted to remain in the property (they were unwilling to even give us a few days to discuss the decision with the the rest of the house). So after not giving them a decision fast enough, unhousing has now let the house out to new tenants, however, they did not inform us of this. The only way we found out was by contacting them ourselves directly.

Frankly, the service and the whole experience with this letting agent has not been pleasant. The same landlord owns over 200 properties therefore you are just a nameless tenant, no one appears to care about our experience or issues. This is all despite claiming on the website they are 'student friends' and aim to be the 'best landlord in the world'. The prices are reasonable but I would advice you it is not worth it. After looking on the internet we have found many other bad reviews of people having a similar experience, they have even changed there name to escape other bad reviews!

There are many other agents in Selly- please consider them!

ReputationRep:
    well they did sort the house to a good condition.

ReputationRep:
    I was with Unihousing last year, had pretty similar problems! I will let you know now - it is SO much easier to get them to do things if you get on well with them (especially the maintenance workers). We had them round at least once every two weeks for one thing or another, and because we were always friendly and had a laugh, offered them a drink etc, they were always more than happy to go out of their way to help us out. It got to the point where one of the guys let us know that because they knew who we were, if they saw our address on their job list they would make an extra effort to sort us out quickly if it was possible.

Key is to keep hassling Unihousing admin staff (ALWAYS in email if poss - they have a habit of denying things they tell you on the phone) and make sure you get any promises from them in writing. Also as I said before, be nice to the men that come over to the house - they're generally good guys and will help you out if you're not a **** to them.

Good luck with the rest of the tenancy!

ReputationRep:
    firearms are banned under many acts i don't know why you're complaining about the lack of them

ReputationRep:
    Also avoid "poshpads" they are really nasty to deal with and get your deposit back

ReputationRep:
    I began renting with unihousing in July 2015 as one of 5 male University of Birmingham students in the Selly Oak area. With a property that was unable to be extended over the summer as both we and unihousing hoped, they were then hugely accommodating in offering us ways to improve the existing property (e.g. new bathroom, spotlight in the kitchen etc.) and gave us a very reasonable deal far better than offered by any other estate agents in the surrounding area. As unihousing own the properties they rent, there is a brilliant maintenance service in place that have been swift to address any minor problems we have had throughout the year, such as broken locks or even fitting a new heater in the bathroom for us. Due to people going on placement years we are moving house to a 4 bedroom property instead next year, and didn't hesitate to look with unihousing first. All houses have a fairly standardised environment that is perfect for our needs, and we have found another great house for next year. As head tenant I am invariably the point of contact between the group and unihousing and I have a fantastic working relationship with them all. They are good humoured and always reply to emails efficiently.
    I would not hesitate in recommending them to students looking in the area!!

ReputationRep:
    Unihousing have been a wonderful agency to use when finding a house and have been great landlords. They are very accommodating and go out of their way to help you out. The house that we live in is reasonably priced and the gas is free which was perfect at winter. They respond to any queries almost immediately and happily replaced amenities such as the cooker and washing machine when they broke. I would definitely recommend them to any students in the Birmingham area. The staff are very friendly and patient and helped to make the experience of finding a house less stressful.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.