The Student Room Group

I'm Muslim, ask me anything (II)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by YA98
Im interested to know the answer to some of these questions
What are those things and what do you mean?
Why are there so many contradictions within Christianity such as different stories of the Crucifixion?
Why is the Crucixion so important and the cross is even the symbol of the religion, isn't it more important to you to spread the message of Christanity?

It is not that the crucifixion is more important that preaching the gospel, it is a symbolism of the fact that Jesus who came from God, blameless from all sin, took upon himself the sin of world, and died in our place, to pay off our debt of sin once and for all. In the old testament their redemption from sin happened only once a year. This caused a division between people and God for they had to go through a priest and have to give burnt offerings. To create a relationship with people, God had a permanent solution for this, which was the crucifixion.
There might be different stories because everyone believes in different things, and interprets things differently.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I'm not Christian. It's not hard to believe, if God exists then he'd obviously be able to do this, just as he'd be able to make pigs fly. It's not a question of what God can do, but what there's actually evidence for.

It would be very easy for muslims to get bodies of prophets and display them round the world in completely normal conditions to prove that Allah did it and everyone would convert to Islam...

Is it true that the bodies of prophets and martyrs never decompose?
Answered by

Sheikh Muhammad al-Manî`î, professor at Umm al-Qurâ University

What we find in the hadîth literature is that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Verily, Allah has forbidden the Earth to consume the bodies of the Prophets.” [Sunan Abî Dâwûd (1047), Sunan al-Nasâ’î (1374), and Sunan Ibn Mâjah (1636)]

Ibn `Abd al-Barr mentions that this has been related as applying to the martyrs as well. He then relates an account where the Caliph Mu`âwiyah wanted to cause the spring at the base of Mount Uhud to flow. The Caliph, therefore, ordered a public statement to be made that those who had a deceased relative in the vicinity should undertake to exhume his body and relocate it. Jâbir was one of those who went forth to exhume the bodies. He said: “We went forth and exhumed the bodies, finding them fresh and flexible…When a spade struck the finger of one of the bodies, drops of blood issued forth” [Ibn `Abd al-Barr, al-Tamhîd (18/174). Also refer to al-Muwatta’ (1023)]

Al-Zarqânî comments that this event took place forty years after the Battle of Uhud. Al-Zarqânî also mentions numerous other claims that have been made regarding bodies that do not decompose, including those of the scholars who practice according to their knowledge, those who call the prayer on a voluntary basis, those who memorize the Qur’ân who act upon its teachings, those who die of plague while exhibiting forbearance, and others.

In truth, there is no evidence for any of these claims aside from what is established that the bodies of the Prophets (peace be upon them all) do not decompose. As for all others, the underlying assumption we should have is that their bodies decompose after death as normal.

And Allah knows best.

are you saying that these people would lie, and what for? if they found out that their bodies didn't decompose, then wouldn't they disbelieve? Whats the point in carrying out this fallacy?
Original post by TheCondor
Can you please give me evidence of why it is haram?

I think someone already has. But you seem a bit too into making your own interpretations of things. And I don't fancy wasting a lot of time here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

It would be very easy for muslims to get bodies of prophets and display them round the world in completely normal conditions to prove that Allah did it and everyone would convert to Islam...

We're not going to start digging up graves and flaunting bodies around. We only know of one Prophet's grave for sure anyway.
Original post by eoe
Not interested in discussion. I believe in my Islam, and you believe in your Islam
:smile:

This is the problem with Religion, if there really was one God there would only be one set of rules

Clearly it's all man made
Original post by YA98
Im interested to know the answer to some of these questions
What are those things and what do you mean?
Why are there so many contradictions within Christianity such as different stories of the Crucifixion?
Why is the Crucixion so important and the cross is even the symbol of the religion, isn't it more important to you to spread the message of Christanity?

I'm very glad that you have asked these questions, as I really want Muslims and Christians to understand each other:smile:

Before I answer, I'll just give a brief bit of context...
When Jesus was born, the main religious text was what we now call the Old Testament (which is currently part of the Bible) as well as some other books with specifications as to the various ceremonies etc. No amount of paper and ink could completely lay out the full meaning of the Old Testament, but the basic storyline is that God created the World etc., but that humans began to sin, which created a barrier between us and God, that He raised up a people to follow Him (these were the Jews), and that, through many prophets, He not only dealt with the issues of the time, but with many similar issues which have followed ever since, at the same time as speaking of a time when one would come who could bridge the gap between God and Man. Finally, the time came, and Jesus came to earth in the form of a humble man (hence being born in a stable, etc.). Others were able to relate to Him because He underwent the same suffering as everyone else, and yet He also was gifted with divine knowledge, and taught in the synagogues. He told many parables etc., but also spoke about how the Son of Man must die. Nobody understood Him. He also healed a great many people, and showed the people many signs and wonders. Then, the Pharisees became jealous, and plotted against Him, resulting in His death. Note that, when He was on the cross, the crowd mocked Him: "If you are truly the Son of God, why don't you set yourself free?" They were the same people who thought that redemption meant redemption from the Romans, not redemption for the soul. However, God's plan was more complex and wonderful than we simple-minded humans could have supposed. Jesus not only died a sacrifice, but rose, as a symbol of God's greatness and mercy. In this way, there was a full circle: Sin through Adam, resulting in separation from God; sacrifice through Jesus, resulting in a reunion with God.

The reason there are many different stories is that, since the Good News spread among not only the Jews but also the Gentiles, some people mixed up the true story with additions from their own past religions, etc. Also, it is because being a Christian requires dedication from the heart, not just actions, so many people who wanted to be powerful (note that, for a large part of history, the most powerful "organisation" or call it what you will in Europe, was the Church) became important "Christians", when all they wanted was power! This obviously corrupted the system, but not beyond repair: thanks to God, it is a fully living religion. But that's my answer to that question.:smile:

Like I have mentioned before, the cross is such an important symbol for us bc it represents Jesus' intense love for us, and our redemption: it is a kind of "second chance". Another sign of God's mercy:smile:

While it is v important to us to spread the Good News (and good news we believe it to be!), the Bible says that, even if a person's stronghold (those s/he has brought to Christ, etc.) falls, while it will mean that s/he is a lesser person in Heaven, s/he will still have redemption, so yes, the most important thing is to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength, and to believe that Jesus came to offer us the precious gift of redemption.

I hope that clears everything up for you, and may Muslims and Christians come to have an understanding between each other!:smile:
Original post by MJlover
Is it true that the bodies of prophets and martyrs never decompose?
Answered by

Sheikh Muhammad al-Manî`î, professor at Umm al-Qurâ University

What we find in the hadîth literature is that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Verily, Allah has forbidden the Earth to consume the bodies of the Prophets.” [Sunan Abî Dâwûd (1047), Sunan al-Nasâ’î (1374), and Sunan Ibn Mâjah (1636)]

Al-Zarqânî comments that this event took place forty years after the Battle of Uhud. Al-Zarqânî also mentions numerous other claims that have been made regarding bodies that do not decompose, including those of the scholars who practice according to their knowledge, those who call the prayer on a voluntary basis, those who memorize the Qur’ân who act upon its teachings, those who die of plague while exhibiting forbearance, and others.

In truth, there is no evidence for any of these claims aside from what is established that the bodies of the Prophets (peace be upon them all) do not decompose. As for all others, the underlying assumption we should have is that their bodies decompose after death as normal.

And Allah knows best.

are you saying that these people would lie, and what for? if they found out that their bodies didn't decompose, then wouldn't they disbelieve? Whats the point in carrying out this fallacy?

Of course people would lie! Or else they'd find these bodies preserved well due to environmental conditions and not understanding the natural mechanism that caused this, attribute it to miracles.

Again, it would be very easy to prove this. Why don't they exhume a prophet's body now and see if it looks like a living, sleeping human.
Original post by YA98
Are you Muslim? If you are then you are mistaken and you should go see an Imam who can explain this to you in person. Of course changes were made to make it easier to understand and if you don't think that is right you can ask on the site and they will answer you.

Seems to me the evidence is there but you just don't want to accept the fact that dating is haraam in Islam.

Yes i am muslim.

You can't claim i'm mistaken without giving evidence.

Also i'm not going to ask an imam because they always conflate illegal sexual intercourse (zina) with relationships.

In my opinion, as long as your relationship with a women is lawful and doesn't include zina, it is perfectly acceptable.
Reply 188
Original post by Anna_S
It is not that the crucifixion is more important that preaching the gospel, it is a symbolism of the fact that Jesus who came from God, blameless from all sin, took upon himself the sin of world, and died in our place, to pay off our debt of sin once and for all. In the old testament their redemption from sin happened only once a year. This caused a division between people and God for they had to go through a priest and have to give burnt offerings. To create a relationship with people, God had a permanent solution for this, which was the crucifixion.
There might be different stories because everyone believes in different things, and interprets things differently.

Yes that is the Christian view and I respect that it will obviously be different to the Muslim view. it seems Treblebee was only taking in the Christian view when replying to MJlover.

Do you not think the different views as narrated in the Gospels and by historians are too great and it is hard to believe from a Christian perspective?
Reply 189
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
This is the problem with Religion, if there really was one God there would only be one set of rules

Clearly it's all man made

There is one set rules, but everyone defines them in different ways. Some are ignorant or don't know of certain laws so there is a division in opinions. Majority of Christians read from the same bibles, but they might read different parts or have personal encounters that alter their definition.
Reply 190
Yes i am muslim.

You can't claim i'm mistaken without giving evidence.

Also i'm not going to ask an imam because they always conflate illegal sexual intercourse (zina) with relationships.

In my opinion, as long as your relationship with a women is lawful and doesn't include zina, it is perfectly acceptable.

Well the evidence is you believe dating is halal so that is why I said you're mistaken. Ok then you give some evidence stating dating is halal in Islam without a wali present?
Original post by IdeasForLife
I think someone already has. But you seem a bit too into making your own interpretations of things. And I don't fancy wasting a lot of time here.

it's not an interpretation, it's as the qur'an is saying. Not to wed people who have secret lovers. "[They should be] chaste, neither [of] those who commit unlawful intercourse randomly nor those who take [secret] lovers."

The website was the one making an interpretation of it.
Original post by Anna_S
There is one set rules, but everyone defines them in different ways. Some are ignorant or don't know of certain laws so there is a division in opinions. Majority of Christians read from the same bibles, but they might read different parts or have personal encounters that alter their definition.

It's very difficult to missinterpret set rules, if you can't see religion is man made you are either idiotic or brainwashed.

Unfortunately most religious people fall into the latter
Reply 193
Original post by Treblebee
I'm very glad that you have asked these questions, as I really want Muslims and Christians to understand each other:smile:

Before I answer, I'll just give a brief bit of context...
When Jesus was born, the main religious text was what we now call the Old Testament (which is currently part of the Bible) as well as some other books with specifications as to the various ceremonies etc. No amount of paper and ink could completely lay out the full meaning of the Old Testament, but the basic storyline is that God created the World etc., but that humans began to sin, which created a barrier between us and God, that He raised up a people to follow Him (these were the Jews), and that, through many prophets, He not only dealt with the issues of the time, but with many similar issues which have followed ever since, at the same time as speaking of a time when one would come who could bridge the gap between God and Man. Finally, the time came, and Jesus came to earth in the form of a humble man (hence being born in a stable, etc.). Others were able to relate to Him because He underwent the same suffering as everyone else, and yet He also was gifted with divine knowledge, and taught in the synagogues. He told many parables etc., but also spoke about how the Son of Man must die. Nobody understood Him. He also healed a great many people, and showed the people many signs and wonders. Then, the Pharisees became jealous, and plotted against Him, resulting in His death. Note that, when He was on the cross, the crowd mocked Him: "If you are truly the Son of God, why don't you set yourself free?" They were the same people who thought that redemption meant redemption from the Romans, not redemption for the soul. However, God's plan was more complex and wonderful than we simple-minded humans could have supposed. Jesus not only died a sacrifice, but rose, as a symbol of God's greatness and mercy. In this way, there was a full circle: Sin through Adam, resulting in separation from God; sacrifice through Jesus, resulting in a reunion with God.

The reason there are many different stories is that, since the Good News spread among not only the Jews but also the Gentiles, some people mixed up the true story with additions from their own past religions, etc. Also, it is because being a Christian requires dedication from the heart, not just actions, so many people who wanted to be powerful (note that, for a large part of history, the most powerful "organisation" or call it what you will in Europe, was the Church) became important "Christians", when all they wanted was power! This obviously corrupted the system, but not beyond repair: thanks to God, it is a fully living religion. But that's my answer to that question.:smile:

Like I have mentioned before, the cross is such an important symbol for us bc it represents Jesus' intense love for us, and our redemption: it is a kind of "second chance". Another sign of God's mercy:smile:

While it is v important to us to spread the Good News (and good news we believe it to be!), the Bible says that, even if a person's stronghold (those s/he has brought to Christ, etc.) falls, while it will mean that s/he is a lesser person in Heaven, s/he will still have redemption, so yes, the most important thing is to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength, and to believe that Jesus came to offer us the precious gift of redemption.

I hope that clears everything up for you, and may Muslims and Christians come to have an understanding between each other!:smile:

Yes there are some similarities to the Muslim version but there are also many differences. We don't believe Jesus is the son of God but a messenger sent by God to spread Islam and not to pay for our sins through crucifixion either but thats another difference in the views of both the religions.
it's not an interpretation, it's as the qur'an is saying. Not to wed people who have secret lovers. "[They should be] chaste, neither [of] those who commit unlawful intercourse randomly nor those who take [secret] lovers."

It is your interpretation. A quite superficial one at that.

The website explained what the words meant and who they applied to. It quoted notable sahaba(and others).

Now. Am I going to believe a ( probably) 18 year old teen or am I going to believe someone who actually lived with the Prophet(pbuh) and understands the meaning better? Think about that. I'm done here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 195

Well you refuse to accept to go and talk to an Imam and when proof is provided you try and find a way around it.

Is it just the fact you can't accept that dating is haraam?
Reply 196
Original post by YA98
Yes that is the Christian view and I respect that it will obviously be different to the Muslim view. it seems Treblebee was only taking in the Christian view when replying to MJlover.

Do you not think the different views as narrated in the Gospels and by historians are too great and it is hard to believe from a Christian perspective?

In the bible, the word from Jesus/God himself never changes or causes contradiction. Also the accounts of other people are stated in the bible, and what they say may be interpreted as different from what it might say elsewhere. We must realize that these events happened thousands of years ago, and many historians who come up with theories have over the years understood areas in the bible differently. Many people take a few words from the Bible and scrutinize it based on those few words, but then don't take a look at the wider message of what it is trying to say. Many events in the past have used the name of Christianity to justify their actions and it still happens today like ISIS and islam, even though nowhere in the Quran are the actions of ISIS justified. It can be difficult because us humans are difficult, we have minds that can be influenced greatly by our morals, background, surroundings and personal experience etc. but if you wish to find the true, read the bible, but not just one section of it, but the whole thing to understand its message.
What does "Islam" mean?
Reply 198
Original post by Anna_S
In the bible, the word from Jesus/God himself never changes or causes contradiction. Also the accounts of other people are stated in the bible, and what they say may be interpreted as different from what it might say elsewhere. We must realize that these events happened thousands of years ago, and many historians who come up with theories have over the years understood areas in the bible differently. Many people take a few words from the Bible and scrutinize it based on those few words, but then don't take a look at the wider message of what it is trying to say. Many events in the past have used the name of Christianity to justify their actions and it still happens today like ISIS and islam, even though nowhere in the Quran are the actions of ISIS justified. It can be difficult because us humans are difficult, we have minds that can be influenced greatly by our morals, background, surroundings and personal experience etc. but if you wish to find the true, read the bible, but not just one section of it, but the whole thing to understand its message.

Yes I definitely agree with you that both Christianity and Islam are scrutinized on a few words and the religion is used to justify certain actions which in many cases are false. I would say much of the media doesn't help either.
Reply 199
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
It's very difficult to missinterpret set rules, if you can't see religion is man made you are either idiotic or brainwashed.

Unfortunately most religious people fall into the latter

When it comes to things such as the morals of life, following a distinct set of rules can be difficult, especially when exceptions can be made. By law, harming someone for no good reason is punishable, but in an act of e.g. self-defense, it may be forgivable. Also what i believe is that the bible and Christianity is not a set of rules i should follow, it is not about telling people they are going to hell, but rather a relationship between me and God, for him to help me in my life, with my struggles and then enable me to help others, show love and kindness, give people hope and a new meaning of life by telling them about God, and that someone does care for them. It is not about brainwashing or idiocy, but a connection with power beyond human understanding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending