The Student Room Group

I'm Muslim, ask me anything (II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IdeasForLife
It is your interpretation. A quite superficial one at that.

The website explained what the words meant and who they applied to. It quoted notable sahaba(and others).

Now. Am I going to believe a ( probably) 18 year old teen or am I going to believe someone who actually lived with the Prophet(pbuh) and understands the meaning better? Think about that. I'm done here.

It quoted notable sahaba did it? Ok then let's see what they had to say (from the website)?

ibn ‘Abbaas said: ‘al-musaafihaat means those who are known to commit zinaa, meaning those who will not refuse anyone who wants to commit immoral acts with them.’ Ibn ‘Abbaas also said: ‘muttakhidhaati akhdaan means lovers.’ A similar interpretation was narrated from Abu Hurayrah, Mujaahid, al-Sha’bi, al-Dahhaak, ‘Ataa’ al-Khurasaani, Yahyaa ibn Abi Katheer, Muqaatil ibn Hayyaan and al-Saddi. They said: (it means) lovers.

They had the exact same 'interpretation' as me. That marrying a women who commits frequent zina is not allowed. They did not mention anything about dating.

The only quote that supported the website was "Al-Hasan al-Basri said: ‘It means a (male) friend.’"

So you take a pick, do you choose Ibn abbaas, Abu Hurayrah, Mujaahid, al-Sha’bi, al-Dahhaak, ‘Ataa’ al-Khurasaani, Yahyaa ibn Abi Katheer, Muqaatil ibn Hayyaan and al-Saddi.

Or do you choose Al-hasan al-basri's interpretation.
Reply 201
Original post by Alba2013
What does "Islam" mean?

It means submission and from its root word is given the meaning of peace.
Reply 202
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
It's very difficult to missinterpret set rules, if you can't see religion is man made you are either idiotic or brainwashed.

Unfortunately most religious people fall into the latter

Religion may be man made, Islam is a perfect example, but that has no correlation on whether God exists .. do you agree ?
Reply 203
Original post by YA98
Yes I definitely agree with you that both Christianity and Islam are scrutinized on a few words and the religion is used to justify certain actions which in many cases are false. I would say much of the media doesn't help either.

Exactly and that is a sad thing that happens today in our media.
Original post by YA98
Well the evidence is you believe dating is halal so that is why I said you're mistaken. Ok then you give some evidence stating dating is halal in Islam without a wali present?

You are the one claiming it is haram, therefore you are the one who must provide evidence.

I'm saying it is not haram because the Qur'an did not mention that it is haram.
Original post by YA98
Well you refuse to accept to go and talk to an Imam and when proof is provided you try and find a way around it.

Is it just the fact you can't accept that dating is haraam?

You didn't provide valid proof for your claim. You gave me a website and i showed you why it is wrong and that the quotes he provides does not support his thesis, all it shows is that you can't marry men/women who have had illegal sexual intercourse.
Reply 206
Original post by TheCondor
You are the one claiming it is haram, therefore you are the one who must provide evidence.

I'm saying it is not haram because the Qur'an did not mention that it is haram.

I have provided evidence but you're choosing not to accept it and when I suggested you could to an Imam you refused. If you don't accept that evidence then google it every reliable Islamic scholar says dating is haraam. You could youtube Mufti Menk or Nouman Ali Khan as they explains these things well
Where do Islam and the Quran come from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by YA98
I have provided evidence but you're choosing not to accept it and when I suggested you could to an Imam you refused. If you don't accept that evidence then google it every reliable Islamic scholar says dating is haraam. You could youtube Mufti Menk or Nouman Ali Khan as they explains these things well

Just so i'm clear, you think dating, even if it doesn't include zina, is haram?
Reply 210
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
It's very difficult to missinterpret set rules, if you can't see religion is man made you are either idiotic or brainwashed.

Unfortunately most religious people fall into the latter

Well it is very easy to claim something is false without giving any evidence. Can you provide proof religion was man made? No just because you don't agree with the views doesn't mean it is all man made
Reply 211
Just so i'm clear, you think dating, even if it doesn't include zina, is haram?

Yes. How can you be certain it won't include zina?
Reply 212
Original post by brightlights17
Why can you only eat Halal?

Because of the some of the animal such as pig an example which proven that is causes cancer, this research has been done recently: http://www.thepigsite.com/swinenews/40736/who-cancer-report-hurts-agencys-credibility/ The pig especially are forbidden toe at. also we slaughter animals different so that animal dies peacefully rather than killing in very hard way. Also the animal is slaughtered by the name of god "Allah", this does not change the taste however if cut the thought which means quick death and when you cut throat the blood drains out of the body so you will not eat blood. Will you eat Halal?

Original post by 1110517
What is your perspective on the pervasive Islamic message that this world (Dunya) is temporary and therefore what is most important is devoting yourself to Allah/ the teachings of Islam?

As a non-Muslim, I find this very difficult to understand. I personally believe the temporary nature of life should encourage people to achieve something 'good' (morally and in their careers) in their limited time, help others and be happy, rather than focusing on scriptures and customs.

Islam does not just tells us to prepare for here after but also teaches us to be prepared for both and we need to prepare to face the both. You only require 30 minutes in total a day out of 24hours. Thats not a lot.

Hope its answered your question. :smile:

Original post by CAElite
I have a couple of questions actually if you dont mind answering them.

What is the differences between the different sects of Islam (Shia & Sunni etc)?

What is the purpous of the various piece of religeous clothing worn in Islam, such as headresses and veils for woman and certain hats and turbans for men?

How do you ensure that you only consume halal certified products (i.e meats), and is there harsh punishments for accidently consuming non-halal treated products?

1. What I believe they are not because they believe that Ali Should be the Prophet and Muhammed (PBH) is mistakenly chosen also they selfharm them self which very wrong. And they believe that prostitute is allow and it is compulsory for them to do prostitute. It is stated in Quran that it is very wrong. - i answered it before. We all know Prophet Muhammad PBUH is the prophet not Ali but Ali is great shabi (companion).
2. is to protect women modesty. lets say for example you have pealed banana and one not pealed banana which one you going to take? of course one that is not pealed. the mans wears to show and stand out that they are muslim. do you know why charch nun wears hijab or lets call it scarf or cover their face?

3. If you don't know that it will be forgiven, but i will buy product after asking if its halal or not. its better to avoid products that you don't know if its halal or not. There is no punishment but my advise would check before you buy anything.

Original post by Treblebee
Hey, I have a Q...
As a Christian, I was wondering why you believe that Jesus didn't die and be resurrected? I mean, wasn't that the whole point of coming among us?
Thx in advance:smile:

Because he is just like us, and he has been chosen as an messenger just like other messengers, do you not believe in prophet Moses PBUH? Why do you not consider him as a "son of god"? Moses PBUH he done lots of miracles just like Jesus. I am going to the main point which if believe is miracles that Jesus than why can't you believe he was not killed but he is taken to haven. instead Jesus one of the Jewish solder was Crucified rather than Jesus. "resurrected" he did not get killed he was taken alive to heaven. Yes He will be resurrected as Christian believe, because the world will be corrupted and he will be coming back to show us the right path.

Sorry for answering late to all been busy got new job so bit exited atm :smile:
Original post by YA98
Yes. How can you be certain it won't include zina?

There is only one thing you need to do to not commit zina. Not be in the same room alone.

If you're dating a girl and all you do is go out with her to public places like the cinema and restaurants, are you going to commit zina in these areas?
Original post by TAREQ003

Because he is just like us, and he has been chosen as an messenger just like other messengers, do you not believe in prophet Moses PBUH? Why do you not consider him as a "son of god"? Moses PBUH he done lots of miracles just like Jesus. I am going to the main point which if believe is miracles that Jesus than why can't you believe he was not killed but he is taken to haven. instead Jesus one of the Jewish solder was Crucified rather than Jesus. "resurrected" he did not get killed he was taken alive to heaven. Yes He will be resurrected as Christian believe, because the world will be corrupted and he will be coming back to show us the right path.

Sorry for answering late to all been busy got new job so bit exited atm :smile:

Firstly, congrats on getting a new job:smile:
Secondly, Jesus is just like us so that we can relate to Him. How are we supposed to have as a model someone who is so vastly different to us that it is difficult to find any similarity at all?
Thirdly, we don't believe that Moses is the Son of God because
1. He never said so
2. It was certainly not predicted time and time again
3. Moses actually did sin, when he struck the rock too hard, through lack of faith.
4. None of the miracles Moses performed were anything like those which Jesus performed
5. Moses was always trying to be closer to God; Jesus was always trying to be closer to us (being God already)
Do you get what I'm saying now?:wink:
Reply 215
There is only one thing you need to do to not commit zina. Not be in the same room alone.

If you're dating a girl and all you do is go out with her to public places like the cinema and restaurants, are you going to commit zina in these areas?

It is very easy to say that but how can you be 100% certain that one day you won't go somewhere else and commit zina? One thing will lead to another. As a Muslim, do you seriously think with there being even a slight chance of zina happening that it would be made halal?
Original post by YA98
It is very easy to say that but how can you be 100% certain that one day you won't go somewhere else and commit zina? One thing will lead to another. As a Muslim, do you seriously think with there being even a slight chance of zina happening that it would be made halal?

Ok then let me ask you another question.

Do you believe that it is haram for a muslim women not to wear a hijab? If not, why?
Reply 217
Original post by Treblebee
Firstly, congrats on getting a new job:smile:
Secondly, Jesus is just like us so that we can relate to Him. How are we supposed to have as a model someone who is so vastly different to us that it is difficult to find any similarity at all?
Thirdly, we don't believe that Moses is the Son of God because
1. He never said so
2. It was certainly not predicted time and time again
3. Moses actually did sin, when he struck the rock too hard, through lack of faith.
4. None of the miracles Moses performed were anything like those which Jesus performed
5. Moses was always trying to be closer to God; Jesus was always trying to be closer to us (being God already)
Do you get what I'm saying now?:wink:

How do you know he is son of god? BTW he did not claim that he is son of god.
And Why would you worship his son not his father? Not rude way.
Reply 218
Original post by TAREQ003

How do you know he is son of god? BTW he did not claim that he is son of god.
And Why would you worship his son not his father? Not rude way.

Jesus and God are one (John 10:30), so when we worship Jesus, we worship God and vice versa. In the book of Matthew, Jesus asked his disciples who they thought he was, Peter said "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God", Jesus then answers and says, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven."

Human knowledge could not have justified that, was the son of God, but God himself.

Jesus may not have directly said I am the son of God, but a CEO of a company, does not go around saying "I am the CEO of this company".
Reply 219
Ok then let me ask you another question.

Do you believe that it is haram for a muslim women not to wear a hijab? If not, why?

I will answer you but not just yet. I want to finish this matter of whether dating is haram or not. Do you still think it isn't haram?

Quick Reply

Latest