Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I take Art, History, and Physics.
    Currently doing A2, predicted grades are CCD.

Got DDE for AS, was expecting CCD ( which would have made my PG's BBC... )

Will be retaking one of the history exams ( Got D's in both but have B grade potential.. ) and both Units for physics ( Got 2 E's, was expecting C's, maybe one D... )
    Art's a long story.

So I'm applying to uni ( deferred entry in 2017 ) to do Archaeology.

I intend on applying to Hull, York, Cardiff, Bangor, and Canterbury Christ church ( just because I have nothing to lose...)

I just really don't know if there's even a possibility of me getting an offer. The want 280 pts, BBB, BBC, 280 pts, and ( don't know about CCC uni.. ) respectively.

Am I just wasting my time applying??

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what I can offer to help, but your predicted grades aren't necessarily one up from your AS, I achieved ABBC at AS and my school won't predict me higher than ABB for A2:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mertblog)
    I'm not sure what I can offer to help, but your predicted grades aren't necessarily one up from your AS, I achieved ABBC at AS and my school won't predict me higher than ABB for A2:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hiya, I've been told my PG for History and Art are definitely C's, and for Physics I was told I was quite close to a D so that's definitely a D.

I think when it comes to A grades they hesitate to go one up to the A* because it's harder and you're ( generally I mean ) more likely to get a solid A overall as opposed to definitely getting an A*. Maybe they do what my school does, if you get a C you have to have been about halfway into a C to get a PG of a B, and if you got a B you had to be roughly 75% into a B to get a PG of an A, and if you had an A then 90% into it to get an A*? That's what my teachers have said they're doing so maybe it's the same for yours? It makes sense tbh so I understand what you mean but I've been a hard worker and my teachers know this about me so I have a feeling they would definitely predict me a grade higher because that's the one thing I always showed the whole year- progress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notions97)
    So I take Art, History, and Physics.
    Currently doing A2, predicted grades are CCD.

Got DDE for AS, was expecting CCD ( which would have made my PG's BBC... )

Will be retaking one of the history exams ( Got D's in both but have B grade potential.. ) and both Units for physics ( Got 2 E's, was expecting C's, maybe one D... )
    Art's a long story.

So I'm applying to uni ( deferred entry in 2017 ) to do Archaeology.

I intend on applying to Hull, York, Cardiff, Bangor, and Canterbury Christ church ( just because I have nothing to lose...)

I just really don't know if there's even a possibility of me getting an offer. The want 280 pts, BBB, BBC, 280 pts, and ( don't know about CCC uni.. ) respectively.

Am I just wasting my time applying??
    I'll be honest and say that there is a small possibility you could get an offer from CCU, the others could be a very long shot. It would be better if you found more unis around the BCC-CCC mark. Also if you were only expecting CCD, achieved DDE and there were no mitigating circumstances then you spend plenty of time going over where you went wrong with your teachers, CCD is still someway off the BBB,BBC that most of your unis are asking for and it is possible to go down at A2 as well as up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mertblog)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can understand your frustration, but there is no guarentee you will do any better at A2 than AS and it is possible to do worse. I didn't put in as much revision at A2 the first time around so I went from ABB at AS to BCC at A2. On the plus side its not impossible to get an offer from a uni asking for AAB, I did when I was retaking with AB predictions and a B in the bag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I'll be honest and say that there is a small possibility you could get an offer from CCU, the others could be a very long shot. It would be better if you found more unis around the BCC-CCC mark. Also if you were only expecting CCD, achieved DDE and there were no mitigating circumstances then you spend plenty of time going over where you went wrong with your teachers, CCD is still someway off the BBB,BBC that most of your unis are asking for and it is possible to go down at A2 as well as up.
    How comes all the others are long shots when 1/2 others are asking for the same points?
    The thing is I have emailed all those Unis and they've all told me they definitely will consider me and my whole application before they decide to whether to make an offer or not, so they'll definitely look at my reference for my reasons behind low grades ( there are a few, even my teachers were shocked at my results so it's not like I did as well as I should have :/ ) as well as at my PS, which some have said may result in a lower offer for me if I've shown interest/enthusiasm for the subject since Archaeology isn't really something you do in school... ( not guaranteed obviously)

I was actually expecting BBC/BBD and was on track for that..

I can't find any that are around BCC-CCC, I feel like some of them would do this but they don't because of this whole competition thing with other Unis because they do let in people with lower grades than they require during clearing to fill the places so it's not definitely a case of them having high entry requirements to make sure you can cope with the course... In my opinion anyway (not in all cases obviously )

Well I am resitting modules as well and i'm doing better than I was last year ( finally gotten to grips with working and a new school etc ) so I am expecting go up and hopefully not down!

Do you think it's impossible to jump 2 grades with resits?

ReputationRep:
    How comes all the others are long shots when 1/2 others are asking for the same points?
    The thing is I have emailed all those Unis and they've all told me they definitely will consider me and my whole application before they decide to whether to make an offer or not, so they'll definitely look at my reference for my reasons behind low grades ( there are a few, even my teachers were shocked at my results so it's not like I did as well as I should have :/ ) as well as at my PS, which some have said may result in a lower offer for me if I've shown interest/enthusiasm for the subject since Archaeology isn't really something you do in school... ( not guaranteed obviously)

I was actually expecting BBC/BBD and was on track for that..

I can't find any that are around BCC-CCC, I feel like some of them would do this but they don't because of this whole competition thing with other Unis because they do let in people with lower grades than they require during clearing to fill the places so it's not definitely a case of them having high entry requirements to make sure you can cope with the course... In my opinion anyway (not in all cases obviously )

Well I am resitting modules as well and i'm doing better than I was last year ( finally gotten to grips with working and a new school etc ) so I am expecting go up and hopefully not down!

Do you think it's impossible to jump 2 grades with resits?
    If you have extenuating circumstances then unis are more likely to be lenient. And before you said you were expecting CCD, now you say you were expecting BBC, quite a difference. And because Canterbury Christ Church is the lowest ranking of your choices.

ReputationRep:
    If you have extenuating circumstances then unis are more likely to be lenient. And before you said you were expecting CCD, now you say you were expecting BBC, quite a difference. And because Canterbury Christ Church is the lowest ranking of your choices.

When I said BBC I meant from what I had been doing in the last 2-3 months of school ( so mock exams/tests in exam conditions etc ) and from what teachers expected having known what level I was working at for the run up to the exams,

When I said CCD I meant what I personally felt in my own opinion, being someone who always downplays things, as in I always expect way less and don't take into account the progress/improvement made during the year.

That's why there's quite a difference...Maybe I should have explained when I stated both the expected grades xD

ReputationRep:
    When I said BBC I meant from what I had been doing in the last 2-3 months of school ( so mock exams/tests in exam conditions etc ) and from what teachers expected having known what level I was working at for the run up to the exams,

When I said CCD I meant what I personally felt in my own opinion, being someone who always downplays things, as in I always expect way less and don't take into account the progress/improvement made during the year.

That's why there's quite a difference...Maybe I should have explained when I stated both the expected grades xD
    Ah that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Ah that makes sense.
    My mistake, sorry!

Thanks for the advice btw.

ReputationRep:
    you should consider retaking your AS modules this year and applying for university next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    you should consider retaking your AS modules this year and applying for university next year.
    I'm definitely retaking one of my two History Exams ( 50-50% weighting each)
    as well as both Physics exams ( 40% weighting each ). I would retake both history exams but my school only lets you retake 3 :/

I was thinking of applying from scratch for entry in 2017 but I decided to apply this year instead simply because I feel it's easier to go through the whole process with the support of my school.

If it does go badly I probably will reapply next year, hopefully it won't come to that!

I do have another question, I was also taking Maths at AS but I was struggling very badly surprisingly and it affected my other subjects so badly that I had to drop it in April ( not optionally ) but I have nothing to show for it since I didn't sit the exam despite being 2 months away from it so the whole year it was as if I did 4 AS levels but I only have the qualification for 3 ( bad ones as well.. )

Is it risky to have this in my reference because in regards to art and partly physics it was the reason i got a low grade was because i was struggling with the commitment of 4 AS levels ( not the whole reason obviously but still..)

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely retaking one of my two History Exams ( 50-50% weighting each)
    as well as both Physics exams ( 40% weighting each ). I would retake both history exams but my school only lets you retake 3 :/

I was thinking of applying from scratch for entry in 2017 but I decided to apply this year instead simply because I feel it's easier to go through the whole process with the support of my school.

If it does go badly I probably will reapply next year, hopefully it won't come to that!

I do have another question, I was also taking Maths at AS but I was struggling very badly surprisingly and it affected my other subjects so badly that I had to drop it in April ( not optionally ) but I have nothing to show for it since I didn't sit the exam despite being 2 months away from it so the whole year it was as if I did 4 AS levels but I only have the qualification for 3 ( bad ones as well.. )

Is it risky to have this in my reference because in regards to art and partly physics it was the reason i got a low grade was because i was struggling with the commitment of 4 AS levels ( not the whole reason obviously but still..)
    yes because most people manage 4 AS Levels fine. You don't want to sound like you can't handle your workload, that doesn't look great to unis at all because they will be thinking can you manage uni work.

ReputationRep:
    Probably a bit late to the party here but I'm also applying for archaeology and in my first AS year (began 2014) achieved DDDU. I decided to resit and honestly it was one of the best decision I ever made, I've applied this year instead (now taking my A2s) and got AABB at AS level this time around, predicted AAB. I'm also applying to York and have received 4/5 offers so far. My advice is don't discredit resitting, it's a worthwhile option because now more opportunities are available for me that wouldn't have been with DDDU grades. I think also it's important to remember that during your 2016 A2 exams there'll be a lot of strain on you to do well in both AS and A2 modules which might be quite an ask. Don't mean to sound harsh or like I'm trying to scare you (sorry if it comes off that way) I'm just talking from experience of getting much lower grades than I ever expected the first time around. Best of luck whatever you decide and keep in mind that university's don't ONLY look at grades when making a decision

ReputationRep:
    Not late at at all!

I don't quite understand how you resat a year but are still doing A2s at the same time as me...??? That whole bit you mentioned about starting in 2014 ( same time as me) and getting DDDU and then retaking and getting AABB yet still doing A2s at the same time as me ( so this current year) doesn't make sense to me...?? Shouldn't you be doing the AS's again THIS year and your A2s next year? How have you already resat your AS levels???

There's nothing I can do anyway, I have to finish off my A2s. I am allowed to resit 3 exams and although both AS and A2 exams will be a lot, I do feel that I don't have that many exams. I have 3 A2 exams ( + 12 hours practical exam for art ) so 3 resits shouldn't be too difficult, but I guess time will tell how confidently I believe that :/

ReputationRep:
    Not late at at all!

I don't quite understand how you resat a year but are still doing A2s at the same time as me...??? That whole bit you mentioned about starting in 2014 ( same time as me) and getting DDDU and then retaking and getting AABB yet still doing A2s at the same time as me ( so this current year) doesn't make sense to me...?? Shouldn't you be doing the AS's again THIS year and your A2s next year? How have you already resat your AS levels???

There's nothing I can do anyway, I have to finish off my A2s. I am allowed to resit 3 exams and although both AS and A2 exams will be a lot, I do feel that I don't have that many exams. I have 3 A2 exams ( + 12 hours practical exam for art ) so 3 resits shouldn't be too difficult, but I guess time will tell how confidently I believe that :/
    Sorry no I meant began 2013 that was a typing error, this is my third year in sixth form. Ah 6 exams is manageable (I have that many just this year!), best of luck to you then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyrach96)
    Sorry no I meant began 2013 that was a typing error, this is my third year in sixth form. Ah 6 exams is manageable (I have that many just this year!), best of luck to you then!
    Thank you! Good luck to you as well, and well done for receiving the offers

I'll probably ask you how you did in 9 months.See you on the other side!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.