Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

English lit - As advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    First half term is over and would like some feedback on if i have made the step up from gcse to As judging by a sample paragraph below, i would appreciate pointers. Thanks.

Examine the view present by Emily Bronte that marriage has little to do with love.Catherine is presented to be marrying Mr Edgar for social status. “And he will be rich, and I shall like to be the greatest woman of the neighborhood, and I shall be proud of having such a husband.” Here Emily Bronte is explicitly showing Catherine to be referring to herself and Mr Edgar as individuals “And he will be rich”, rather than referring to themselves as collectives even though due to their marriage they will become one and Mr Edgar’s riches will also be hers. However Catherine referring to herself and Mr Edgar individually suggests Catherine doesn’t see their marriage as a coming together as one but rather a financial and social gain. Furthermore Catherine is speaking infinitely throughout “…he will be rich…I shall like to be… I shall be”. Along with referring to herself and Mr Edgar individually, her language used is definite implying she is sure of these results when marrying Mr Edgar. This could be interpreted as due to Mr Edgar being of a higher status he promises her a better life so she will be sure of the benefits that follows their marriage making her happy, however this could also be seen as Catherine trying to persuade herself that marrying Mr Edgar will give her this happiness,rather than marrying for love, persuading herself that status and wealth will ensure her more happiness then love. Presenting that marriage has little to do with love due to Catherine’s choices of marrying Mr Edgar for those reasons.Catherine’s decision to marry for wealth and status were typical of the time, the divisions of the classes were very distinct, although any woman of any class were second to men, there were differences in the daily life, family life and working life. The worst in position were the working class women. Working class women were deprived of education and respected jobs. So women married the highest class man their division could to ensure quality of life. Which is also shown in Tess of the D’Urbervilles written not long after Wuthering Heights in 1891, Tess’s mum hopes for Tess to marry into wealth to help her family, rather than marry for love, emphasizing these reasons were common for the time period. Even Emily Bronte herself when she published her books used a male pen name Ellis Bell to hide her identity due to gender bias. Wuthering heights was written in 1847 during the realist movement in literacy that came to England in the early 1800s, Wuthering Heights up holds these themes due to Catherine marrying for wealth and status rather than love,as during this period of time in history this was the normal purpose of marriage, to better the woman’s life which is reflected in an Atlas publication of an anonymous critic on the 22 January 1848 who commented, “The reality of unreality has never been so aptly illustrated as in the scenes of almost savage life which Ellis Bell has brought so vividly before us” emphasizing the realism. This point is further emphasized by Nelly’s comment, “You love Mr. Edgar because he is handsome, and young, and cheerful, and rich, and loves you. The last, however, goes for nothing: you would love him without that, probably; and you with it you wouldn’t, unless he possessed the four former attractions.” Nelly's repetitive listing using “and” emphasizes the multiple redeeming qualities Mr.Edgar has, reflecting how he is the best choice for Catherine. Nelly leaving the last point that Mr. Edgar loves her “…and loves you” which would be thought to be the most important factor is last of on her list of good qualities that Mr. Edgar possesses, this could be interpreted as Nelly suggesting this is the least important quality that Catherine looks for, further shown when Nelly says she wouldn’t love him with “the four former attractions”. Further implying that Catherine’s marriage is based not on love. Therefore Emily Bronte presents that marriage has little to do with love.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    x

Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.