Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I where I'm meant to be? (Driving Lessons) watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had 6 hours of driving lessons (3 lessons each consisting of 2 hours)
    Currently I've learnt how to start the car and the basics of actually driving it. Ive also gone up to 3rd gear and am changing gears many times in each lesson. In my last 2 hours I started learning how to turn into roads (i.e. main roads to minor roads and visa versa). Thats about all I've done, and I was wondering whether I am currently at a place that I'm meant to be? I just dont want a driving instructor that stretches the lessons in order to get more money.

Thanks for the help .

ReputationRep:
    it all depends on you. some peeople will be quicer than other, wereas other will be a lot slow.

ReputationRep:
    On average you need around the same number of hours lessons as your age + some practice in between. Sounds fine to me. Trust your driving instructor there's little reason why they would string you along and there is higher risk to their reputation to do this than to put you forward for a test when you're not ready.

ReputationRep:
    I see. What would the average person have done/will be doing at 6 hours?

ReputationRep:
    You are doing well so far. You're about on the same part as a average person.

ReputationRep:
    What i found is that the first 6 hours are based purely on control, everyone starts in quiet residential areas to build confidence. If by hour 12 you aren't on main roads then i would start to question your instructor's motive. There should be lesson plans in place, where as soon as your butt is in the car they tell you the goal for the day and ask for your input and the most important thing to remember - ask questions constantly. No question is considered silly to ask when learning a new skill. Have confidence in yourself.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Actually you should be able to drive yourself home after the first lesson if you have a decent instructor, many will do lots of reading and book work when the only way to learn is to have a go. If you would like some advice please feel free to contact me as I can answer anything you need to know on lessons and driving, there are definitely alot of instructors in it for the money, you could be ready for your test in 36 hours if it is done intensively and 40 - 45 if you have lessons once a week. Feel to ask me anything :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    On average you need around the same number of hours lessons as your age + some practice in between. Sounds fine to me. Trust your driving instructor there's little reason why they would string you along and there is higher risk to their reputation to do this than to put you forward for a test when you're not ready.
    It is all down the quality of the instructor, and natural ability, but a decent instructor can get anyone through a test first time

ReputationRep:
    It's different for every person, there's not really any "level". Just remember that it's not a race (pardon the pun) and you'll be fine, just believe in yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chukkiesmum;[url="tel:60479985")
    60479985[/url]]It is all down the quality of the instructor, and natural ability, but a decent instructor can get anyone through a test first time
    I don't reckon this is true. At the level of competence youre typically at for the L test a degree of chance is there too. How a candidate performs on the day, how many challenging situations arise that could knock you of course. Putting someone forward for the test when they're clearly not ready is a recipe for failure though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    I don't reckon this is true. At the level of competence youre typically at for the L test a degree of chance is there too. How a candidate performs on the day, how many challenging situations arise that could knock you of course. Putting someone forward for the test when they're clearly not ready is a recipe for failure though.
    Agreed that didn't strictly read how it was meant to, what I was trying to say is that it is nothing to do with age, it is more to do with someone being given the tools and the confidence to do well, and then if they keep it together on the day, but I can see where my thread read differently to that :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chukkiesmum;[url="tel:60480305")
    60480305[/url]the ]Agreed that didn't strictly read how it was meant to, what I was trying to say is that it is nothing to do with age, it is more to do with someone being given the tools and the confidence to do well, and then if they keep it together on the day, but I can see where my thread read differently to that :-)
    yes,I'm not too sure about the age and number of lessons rule of thumb. Seems to have something to it.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.