Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing GCSE and soon applying for 6th Forms my first thought was i wanted to do is Architect, but the things people say it requires maths and a science but i'm going to be honest and say i'm not too keen in them. However this doesn't stop me from choosing what A-levels i want to do right?
    So the subjects i want to do in 6th Form are:

French ( As i am a French speaker and lived there for 3 years previously but unfortunately from the age of 1-4 so i only went to Nursery, So it could still be difficult but i am predicted to get A* and i am already working at that. currently my best GCSE.)

3-D Design which i think i will find it Interesting.

Then it comes between Graphic Design or Fine Art as i can only do 2 Arts not the 3 that are available at the college (Which is really good).

I am predicted to get a B in Maths as i am in Set 2 but i don't think i will get a B more likely a C but hey, ill see when i do my mocks which is soon.

Help! Please don't tell me to research because i have, and it hasn't given me much help.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superdrilles)
    x
    Try this website, it will suggest degrees based on your A-Level choices. See if there's any you like the look of
    http://www.bestcourse4me.com/explore/

Edit: I had a look at a few Universities offering Architecture. Not all of them ask for Maths/Sciences, if you feel really passionate about doing that degree still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    Try this website, it will suggest degrees based on your A-Level choices. See if there's any you like the look of
    http://www.bestcourse4me.com/explore/

Edit: I had a look at a few Universities offering Architecture. Not all of them ask for Maths/Sciences, if you feel really passionate about doing that degree still.
    Yeah sure, but its just that i live in London therefore some places are limited and which universities may i ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superdrilles)
    Yeah sure, but its just that i live in London therefore some places are limited and which universities may i ask?
    If you're looking in London, London South Bank and Kingston at least. Outside London, I think it was Newcastle I found. There are likely others too though.

ReputationRep:
    Go for something mathematically based. Believe me, Maths is difficult but if you keep hitting it, it will pay dividends. French in combinatio with those is always a useful skill. Dont fanny around with fine art or graphic design. If you're gonna do graphic design, at least combine that with Maths, Physics and Computing. Honestly though, a winning combo for you would be Maths, Computing, French and Physics. The Maths would take you into architecture and any computing related fields, of which physics and computing would more than help.

ReputationRep:
    Don't pick maths unless you are confident with it a gcse and at least gating a high B. Many people take AS maths and regret it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marco14196)
    Go for something mathematically based. Believe me, Maths is difficult but if you keep hitting it, it will pay dividends. French in combinatio with those is always a useful skill. Dont fanny around with fine art or graphic design. If you're gonna do graphic design, at least combine that with Maths, Physics and Computing. Honestly though, a winning combo for you would be Maths, Computing, French and Physics. The Maths would take you into architecture and any computing related fields, of which physics and computing would more than help.
    I've decided i'm doing:

French
    Graphic Design
    3-D Design
    Maths

I thought i used to like science til i got to year 11 where everything was going downhill but id rather enjoy the a-levels i'm doing rather than having to constantly revise something that i didn't understand in class, all the formulas are complicated. Have i found ways to remember them? Yes but not all. And i realized fine Art is worthless at the end of the day id rather do those 2 as they would benefit me more if done with Maths/Geography (which i'm also doing for GCSE) . And as the person who helped me in giving me information on which universities that offer architecture without Maths are also available so it think my combo is quite good to be fair but others have different opinions. Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireway10)
    Don't pick maths unless you are confident with it a gcse and at least gating a high B. Many people take AS maths and regret it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks you for reinforcing that, i don't typically like subjects that require a lot of thinking, because i get bored easily and get distracted easily whereas creativity and inspiration comes from things around you. Not Revision.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.