The Student Room Group

Tonsillitis not going away

Hey,

So basically it all started with a very sore throat and an inflamed tonsil. I took paracetamol, thinking that it was just a regular cold. Then my temperature spiked and I started getting very high fevers that lasted for two days. Obviously concerned, I go to my uni's GP. I tell them that my tonsils are swollen and that I have a sore throat. The nurse looks at my throat, assures me that I'm fine and sends me home without even taking a strep culture. Not little was my surprise that when I arrive home I notice puss on my tonsils - although the nurse assured me that my throat is clear. I started a course of Amoxiclav - my throat is now starting to get a little bit better and my tonsils are recovering. however, what concerns me is that my armpit lymph nodes started to become tender and are a little bit swollen. Is this normal or has anybody had any similar symptoms?
Reply 1
I had this for the first time in July last year; had the doctor tell me exactly what you were told, two days later ended up vomiting, saw the nurse who confirmed I had tonsillitis; then for over a year it kept coming back until they finally removed them in August this year; I would definitely get a 2nd opinion next time... the swollen lymph nodes will be there for a while due to your body fighting off the infection. feel better soon :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Samwin
I had this for the first time in July last year; had the doctor tell me exactly what you were told, two days later ended up vomiting, saw the nurse who confirmed I had tonsillitis; then for over a year it kept coming back until they finally removed them in August this year; I would definitely get a 2nd opinion next time... the swollen lymph nodes will be there for a while due to your body fighting off the infection. feel better soon :smile:

Thanks so much! antibiotics finally kicked in and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Although I'm never again going to underestimate the pain that comes with tonsillitis haha :smile:
Reply 3
yeeey! :biggrin: am so pleased for you :tongue: it's awful isn't it? :redface:
I feel your pain. I had chronic tonsil stones and tonsillitis for years. Hope you're feeling better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi how long did it take for the anti biotics to work? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest