Turn on thread page Beta

A2 OCR Chemistry Hard To Get An A (in terms of RAW marks) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    anyone find its really hard to get an A in Chemistry OCR "Unifying Concepts" and "Chains, Rings and Spectroscopy" in terms of raw marks where 80% is an A?? (e.g. if the paper is out of 60, then 48/60=80%=A)

I've been self-marking my papers using the mark schemes, and I always fail to get the 80% raw marks particularly in Unifying Concepts - there is always one question where I screw up on unifying concepts. As for Chains, Rings and Spec, there's always some sort of question that twists me up. I usually get about 70%-ish perhaps, but I really need the A .

I understand that raw marks are not UMS, but still it's rather irritating......last year I got all As in my 3 modules, and this year it just seems so hard to please the examiners.

ReputationRep:
    i do find them rather picky.. its the last long questions which worry me. sometimes theyre fine, but other times they pull up stuff from AS which is a bit obscure. One paper ends with a table, telling you to analyse the data and come to conclusions about the compounds based on BP, MP, conductivity etc, they also give you the H+ concentrations randomly.. i didnt do anything with these, but in the mark scheme you get 4 marks for just working out the pH of the compounds.. nothing about that was mentioned in the question..hence the worry!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't particularly find chains, rings and spec too challenging. S'matter of fact got 84/90 raw marks in my mock paper (93%) . But as for unifying concepts. Now that's a different story. Anything to do with numbers throws me off the mark, especially finding out constants i.e acid constants etc. I will ALWAYS screw up, its the rule of thumb for me. But you should find that with practise all the answers are more or less the same. It just comes down to doing more practice papers really.

ReputationRep:
    you should be more worried about the half module papers - the mark schemes are VERY picky about what you can and cannot say in a question. I thought i knew my stuff - took mocks in boths those and walked away with Cs. In unifying concepts i got an A - because they're less picky about the answers in that i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    anyone find its really hard to get an A in Chemistry OCR "Unifying Concepts" and "Chains, Rings and Spectroscopy" in terms of raw marks where 80% is an A?? (e.g. if the paper is out of 60, then 48/60=80%=A)

I've been self-marking my papers using the mark schemes, and I always fail to get the 80% raw marks particularly in Unifying Concepts - there is always one question where I screw up on unifying concepts. As for Chains, Rings and Spec, there's always some sort of question that twists me up. I usually get about 70%-ish perhaps, but I really need the A .

I understand that raw marks are not UMS, but still it's rather irritating......last year I got all As in my 3 modules, and this year it just seems so hard to please the examiners.
    yeah i find the same, especially in trends and patterns because it's out of so little that each mark is worth 3% or something silly! i got an A in chains rings and spec in january and had been getting Bs so don't fret-if you've revised well it will pay off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    i do find them rather picky.. its the last long questions which worry me. sometimes theyre fine, but other times they pull up stuff from AS which is a bit obscure. One paper ends with a table, telling you to analyse the data and come to conclusions about the compounds based on BP, MP, conductivity etc, they also give you the H+ concentrations randomly.. i didnt do anything with these, but in the mark scheme you get 4 marks for just working out the pH of the compounds.. nothing about that was mentioned in the question..hence the worry!!
    i did that paper and had no idea what they wanted! but the H+ conc is so you can work out the ph...i didn't pick up on that either. i didn't get unifying concepts at all through the course, i just spent 2 solid days on it when i went on study leave and can just about do it now, still find it tricky though! even if i do the equations perfectly i manage to lose some numbers along the way!

ReputationRep:
    lol im kinda opposite to u lot. I dont mind the equations/mathematical questions too much, but its some questions that sort of digs a hole for u to fall in. There was a last question on a paper where u had to identify a couple of compounds and write equations whilst they give u clues on the way. And I quite rightly remember it sayin something along the lines of:

"Compound A was burnt with HCl to create B" and then "Compound B was heated to form *whatever it was*".

Then u had to write equations, and i got it all wrong (9marks) coz i added oxygen in compound Bs heating equation, and compound As burning equation. The trick was to not add oxygen in either A or Bs equation. Basically u had to know that:
    Heating and Thermo decomp. means no oxygen
    Burning means with oxygen unless a compounds is already stated??? - still confused with this please help!!
    Combustion definitely means with oxygen no matter what

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.