Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

When I was looking at applying for a PGDE (Scotland) I was a fairly prolific lurker on these forums. I desperately wanted to find an Ask Me thread to find out what I was letting myself in for... Well, I'm there now, so thought I would start my own!

I'm studying a PGDE Secondary at Glasgow... I don't want to give away any more info than that, because that would be silly. But I've been through the whole application process, I'm doing the course, I'm about to start my first official placement next week, and I'm loving it (mostly!).

Ask me whatever you want - there are only so many ways to answer "what's the interview like?" question, so try and ask less general questions and more specific questions - it'll be much more useful for everyone!

Look forward to speaking with you

(P.S. - as said, I am about to start my placement next week so please be patient as I'm expecting to be very busy!)

ReputationRep:
    Types of interview questions?

I'm assuming some will be "Why this subject" "What experience do you have" and a discussion around current educational news.

ReputationRep:
    At Strathclyde, yes. It's very focussed on what you've written in your personal statement.

In Glasgow, not so much - there's a set list of questions that they tell you they'll ask you at the start of the welcome chat, about 4 or 5. For me at least, they didn't deviate at all from those questions and never asked me to expand on any answers I gave. The questions were along the lines of "How will you support ethics and morals as a teacher?" "What experience do you have working with young people?" things along those lines, it's really very generalised - gives them a way to benchmark everyone they interview.

In both my interviews, I was never asked about my knowledge of CfE or current educational issues with the exception of Strathclyde who asked me if I knew about the new higher system, but I think that was just because I hadn't had any classroom experience for a few years.

ReputationRep:
    Just pointing out that there is a sticky for PGDE applicants at the top of this forum.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.