Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do police monitor middle lane hoggers? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is just a random question for a personal hate of mine of driving on the motorway/A roads.

Really do not understand why so many people persist on driving in the middle lane at 50mph and chugging along so everyone has to move around them.
    Drove from the South coast up to the midlands today and encountered so many.
    I heard theres a law on it now, but what exactly is it?

And how many miles can you actually 'middle lane hog' until it is illegal?

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think it's pretty unlikely for police to care enough to monitor you, they'd have to be driving behind you and have nothing else to do tbh.

The mirror has this article, so suggesting enforcement is lacking...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...middle-5931458

It is infuriating though. I had a weird opposite experience recently though, I'm in the middle lane, going about 78, lanes either side of me are keeping pace (which meant the guy in the outside lane was annoying those behind by sticking to the speed limit lol), then suddenly both lanes either side of me seem to slow down to 70 and I'm alone gaining distance from everything behind doing 80. No speed cameras, no speed guns (and even if there were I'd probably get away with it with the speedo saying 80 so me doing more like 77-78 in reality)...surreal.

ReputationRep:
    This happens because people don't know the meaning of lane discipline. Everyone has it in their heads the inside lane is the slow lane or for lorries, so always avoid it for some reason.

Too many people on the roads these days to enforce it and reeducate so we just have to put up with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most police on the roads tend to be sat in a layby waiting for their ANPR system to flag someone up as uninsured. Then they'll inconvenience the driver for a considerable length of time until they admit that their system is outdated and the car is indeed insured and legal.

Poor driving standards aren't a priority for plod. Best way to deal with a middle lane moron is just to blast past on the left. Alternatively you can play the orbiting game if you don't have to be anywhere in a hurry.

ReputationRep:
    There is not and has never been a specific law against middle lane hogging. It was all media rubbish two years ago when the made up law came into force and it still is now. But that's the media for you.

What did change was that Police were given the powers to issue Fixed Penalty Notices for careless driving, which previously could only be dealt with by court summons. A relatively minor change, in all.

Precisely what careless driving includes is a completely grey area. What one person considers careless, another may find safe. The exact same actions may be considered safe in one set of conditions and careless in another.

'Lane hogging' MAY constitute careless driving by virtue of it being seen as a type of inconsiderate driving, but this is defined simply as driving "without reasonable consideration" Again, it comes down to what you (or rather a magistrate) considers to be reasonable or unreasonable. There is no hard and fast rules or any specific law.

TL;DR: There is no middle lane hogging law. There is a law against careless driving but it's up to a court to decide what being 'careless' is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spyka)
    Clearly doesn't know ****e.
    Highway Code states otherwise.

Rule 264You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, traffic officers in uniform or by signs.Laws MT(E&W)R regs 5, 9 & 16(1)(a), MT(S)R regs 4, 8 & 14(1)(a), andRTA 1988, sects 35 & 186, as amended by TMA 2004 sect 6

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...ays-253-to-273

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 11, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.