14.71%
    2.94%
    8.82%
    X
    11.76%
    Z
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity after that "interesting" discussion in the Divorce Bill thread, I thought it'd be interesting to see where MHoC members put themselves on the Kinsey scale. For those unfamiliar, it's a scale for analysing sexuality as follows:

0 - Exclusive heterosexual. Has never had sexual relations with the same sex, nor experienced any desire at all to do so.
    1 - Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual. This could typically include having sexual fantasies about members of the same sex, making out, or perhaps light foreplay especially if under the influence of drugs or alchol.
    2 - Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual. Normally a person who is primarily heterosexual, but has had sexual contact with a member of the same sex of at least some significant or sees this as a real possibility and remains open minded about this type of sexual relation.
    3 - Equally heterosexual and homosexual. What we'd now refer to as bisexual (although this could definitely also includes 2's and 3's, and possibly 1's/5's as well). Has no preference between sexes and would be equally like to engage in sexual activity with either (assuming freedom from social pressures/taboos or anti-homosexuality laws).
    4 - Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual. Normally a person who is primarily homosexual, but has had sexual contact with a member of the opposite sex of at least some significant or sees this as a real possibility and remains open minded about this type of sexual relation.
    5 - Predominantly homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual. This could typically include having sexual fantasies about members of the opposite sex, making out, or perhaps light foreplay especially if under the influence of drugs or alchol.
    6 - Exclusive homosexual. Has never had sexual relations with the opposite sex, nor experienced any desire at all to do so.
    X - Asexual. No sexual experiences or desires with people of any sex.

Note that when your "sex" is referred to, what is applicable here is your gender identity. If you identidy as male your "same" sex is male, and vice-versa, regardless of your genitals.

I'll add in a one more which might be applicable too, but wasn't really considered in Kinsey's era:
    Z - Non-binary gender. Does not identify as either a man or a woman, and hence does not have a "same" or "opposite" gender to be attracted to.

I'll make the poll anonymous to increase reliability, but feel free to state/talk about where you are if you like!

Personally I'm a 4 - predominantly attracted to women and could only really see myself in a long-term relationship with one, but have had and am very much open to having sexual encounters with men too.

ReputationRep:
    Ah damnit. My browser crashed at the making a poll part and I can't edit one in Any way to either add it or if not I'll delete the thread and re-submit?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Ah damnit. My browser crashed at the making a poll part and I can't edit one in Any way to either add it or if not I'll delete the thread and re-submit?
    I have added the poll for you - please let me know if anything is incorrect.

ReputationRep:

I see genitals and **** over them.

Also, I'm not in the MHoC.

Also, I like bondage sex.

Also, what's a MHoC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    I have added the poll for you - please let me know if anything is incorrect.
    Thank you! Would you at all mind adding the first couple words from each description in the OP (e.g. "Exclusive Heterosexual") to the options to make it a little less confusing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evening)

I see genitals and **** over them.

Also, I'm not in the MHoC.

Also, I like bondage sex.

Also, what's a MHoC?
    Awesome! The MHoC is basically a debating forum where we write bills and vote on them as a Model Parliament. If you fancy joining us, go make a post in here

ReputationRep:
    Birchington Mr. Speaker, I move that this thread is closed and removed because it isn't relevant to the MHoC and wasn't created by the Speaker nor in accordance with A101 (which makes it illegal). Furthermore, the scale is hogwash and I protest against spreading this ‘non-binary’ propaganda around here. Thank you.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Birchington Mr. Speaker, I move that this thread is closed and removed because it isn't relevant to the MHoC and wasn't created by the Speaker nor in accordance with A101 (which makes it illegal). Furthermore, the scale is hogwash and I protest against spreading this ‘non-binary’ propaganda around here. Thank you.
    I second the motion, further citing that it is something that I expect a numberof members would not wish to disclose anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    On this occasion, I will permit this poll as there is a precedent for a survey of this nature being held on two occasions - 2011 and 2012 - both were permitted by the Speaker. However, I will amend the title of this thread to ensure consistency with the previous surveys.

The Kinsey Scale is a recognised measure for a survey of this nature.

This poll is by no means mandatory and if you do not agree with the content here, you are entirely welcome to abstain from participating.

ReputationRep:
    On this occasion, I will permit this poll as there is a precedent for a survey of this nature being held on two occasions - 2011 and 2012 - both were permitted by the Speaker. However, I will amend the title of this thread to ensure consistency with the previous surveys.

This poll is by no means mandatory and if you do not agree with the content here, you are entirely welcome to abstain from participating.
    Sheesh, I remember it being done but didn't realise HOW long ago! I feel old now.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Isn't there a limit to how many may be made per term, what a waste of one of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I don't think it's right but I can't do anything about it… Also like JD said, it's a waste of 1/3 irrelevant polls per term. At least it won't be so provocative so thanks for the edit.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

It is also worth pointing out that something being recognised does not necessitate sensibility: the Eu is recognised by the representatives of nearly everybody on the planet, yet I do not believe it sensible; capital punishment, significantly more relevant currently for polling, should be recognised by most people familiar with the concepts of death and punishment, yet much of the house would not consider it sensible; and the monster raving loony party, among others, is recognised as a political party, yet even they admit they are not sensible.

I also move that we shall use up our other two polls for the term on equally useless information by setting up polls to determine, say, people's religious views and their ethnicities.

I shall finally add, the Kinsey-Klein sexual orientation grid is also a recognised method to land on the scale, and it truly is absurd since, apparently, the orientation of my peers has a very significant impact on my own orientation. Funnily enough, it hasn't actually.

EDIT: I shall actually also point out that there is no Z on the Kinsey scale

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It is also worth pointing out that something being recognised does not necessitate sensibility: the Eu is recognised by the representatives of nearly everybody on the planet, yet I do not believe it sensible; capital punishment, significantly more relevant currently for polling, should be recognised by most people familiar with the concepts of death and punishment, yet much of the house would not consider it sensible; and the monster raving loony party, among others, is recognised as a political party, yet even they admit they are not sensible.

I also move that we shall use up our other two polls for the term on equally useless information by setting up polls to determine, say, people's religious views and their ethnicities.

I shall finally add, the Kinsey-Klein sexual orientation grid is also a recognised method to land on the scale, and it truly is absurd since, apparently, the orientation of my peers has a very significant impact on my own orientation. Funnily enough, it hasn't actually.

EDIT: I shall actually also point out that there is no Z on the Kinsey scale

Posted from TSR Mobile
    See my OP - it was not on the original scale since there was little understanding of non-binary genders at the time, but I considered it relevant to add because otherwise there would be some people wh wouldn't fit any of the options.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'll bite. I fit the boring category of having never desired or had homosexual sex. Somehow I doubt there will be too much variation for this poll.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    See my OP - it was not on the original scale since there was little understanding of non-binary genders at the time, but I considered it relevant to add because otherwise there would be some people wh wouldn't fit any of the options.
    Non response or x.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Okay, I'll bite. I fit the boring category of having never desired or had homosexual sex. Somehow I doubt there will be too much variation for this poll.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depending on at which point we consider somebody to be bisexual, supposing all MPs responses we should get about 10 at that point or higher, although given the male dominance, despite it being an anonymous poll, probably lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nothing "boring" about it, none of us choose our sexuality after all And well, you're in a minority so far!

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Non response or x.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A non-response is just what I meant - none of the responses apply. "X" would in most cases be incorrect because there's a very high chance they do experience sexual attraction, to men/women/both, it's just that they don't fit into the man/woman catergorisation. The only ones which COULD be applicable to them are X and 3 - but many will not either of those.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Just voted and chose 1. Which is probably not a rare thing for a woman.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    Just voted and chose 1. Which is probably not a rare thing for a woman.
    Probably not an insanely common thing either, especially amongst our peers who will not improbably go for 1-4, whilst I expect males will largely go 0-1\2 or rather extreme at the other end, things definitely far more bunched up at the bottom.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.