Turn on thread page Beta

What are your study tips watch

ReputationRep:
    What is the best technique to strengthen one's ability to recall memorised stuff a week ago?

ReputationRep:
    Get enough sleep and eat enough.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoPsgJ2I_zo

ReputationRep:
    information is moved from the short-term memory to the long-term memory A) in the last hour of sleep and B) through repetition so basically - sleep enough and revisit stuff multiple times, always testing yourself with exercises or past papers even if it seems tedious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nverjvlev)
    information is moved from the short-term memory to the long-term memory A) in the last hour of sleep and B) through repetition so basically - sleep enough and revisit stuff multiple times, always testing yourself with exercises or past papers even if it seems tedious.
    Say you have 10 chapters to learn in a particular order. How would you learn the 8th chapter without ever forgetting the second chapter?

If you are going to spend a day learning each chapter, would 6th day mean you are revising chapters 1+2+3+4+5 and learning 6?

How do you revise? Read soft copy/hard copy? Or read from your own notes?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    past papers, you-tube videos, and flash cards are great ways to recall your memory... watch videos and note down how much of the video you remember, depends if you have a visual memory or not but it certainly helps me out! Past papers are also key when it comes to revising do at least 2 if not more then mark it yourself and read the mark scheme and memorise it! GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiceTheSlice)
    Say you have 10 chapters to learn in a particular order. How would you learn the 8th chapter without ever forgetting the second chapter?

If you are going to spend a day learning each chapter, would 6th day mean you are revising chapters 1+2+3+4+5 and learning 6?

How do you revise? Read soft copy/hard copy? Or read from your own notes?

Thanks
    Everyone learns differently, but for me if I have to learn huge chunks I rewrite it all as notes then go back and test myself and if I still haven't got it all, I rewrite it again but as a summary?

A lot of people say writing it out is much better than typing as it facilitates a deeper level of processing which helps it 'stick'. If this doesn't particularly help I'd just say revisit every chapter you've already done before you move on even if it's just the three bits you really don't get or the headings. Also - talk about it to someone. Verbalising it using different parts of the brain which helps it 'stick' even more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiceTheSlice)
    What is the best technique to strengthen one's ability to recall memorised stuff a week ago?
    Walk around your room and talk to yourself about what you've learnt as if you're teaching a class of students.

ReputationRep:
    I usually find it helps to make my own notes, condensing and summarizing the essential stuff from my jotters into a more abbreviated form in a notebook (preferably by hand, as nverjvlev recommended). You can organize everything in a way that makes sense to you, plus you can lay everything out in a far more visual way by using different colors to represent different concepts like essential quotes, key themes and question strategies, and by drawing diagrams where applicable. Our brains remember colors and pictures much better than a great big chunk of text on a page.
    After that, all I can recommend is to do lots of questions. At first, if you can't remember something, don't get discouraged, just go straight to your notes and add a few sentences on what went wrong. Check your notes for that topic, but always write something new to reinforce it what you've read. Then do a few other questions before attempting it again.

ReputationRep:
    Condense your notes through summarising. Not so much is it the end result but the process that commits the information to your long term memory.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.