The Student Room Group

The FA Cup Thread 2015-16

Scroll to see replies

My mate whose a local lad in Exeter has gone up to Anfield tonight.
Reply 101
En route to Anfield. Come on the Reds.
Exeter finding this much harder going understandably so, while Spurs are winning against Leicester.
Well that was crap. Cheated out in the original tie by a ref that couldn't have displayed his allegiance more clearly short of throwing on a Spurs kit and properly playing for them, and yet despite that that should have fired us up, we looked completely uninterested in even playing for something more than comfortable defeat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Real shame for Exeter tonight but they were always going to find it tougher at Anfield, mind you they brought 6,000 fans all the way up which is impressive considering it's mid-week
Reply 105
Fair play to Exeter fans. They were great all night long. Shame their team couldn't grab a consolation for them after we made the game safe.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Well that was crap. Cheated out in the original tie by a ref that couldn't have displayed his allegiance more clearly short of throwing on a Spurs kit and properly playing for them, and yet despite that that should have fired us up, we looked completely uninterested in even playing for something more than comfortable defeat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went last night. First away of the year so erring on the wrong side of the beer threshold. Went in the Swan and Rushes pub which is an absolutely outstanding boozer, and ended up on bottled Munich lagers to my detriment. This one wasn't a game of clear cut chances or contentious decisions like the original. Chadli's performance was ironically amusing - create no chances all game, score a good goal. Kind of like the whole Leicester team this season (sorry, I'm still bitter about last week :wink: ) Son goal very impressive, but I'm still convinced Kane needs help up top.

Allow me to say re Okazaki: understated brilliance. Under far less pressure than Vardy and arguably just as good.
Reply 107
TV matches confirmed:
BT Sport: Colchester v Tottenham, Liverpool v West Ham, Carlisle v Everton
BBC: Derby v Man United, MK Dons v Chelsea
Original post by rockrunride
I went last night. First away of the year so erring on the wrong side of the beer threshold. Went in the Swan and Rushes pub which is an absolutely outstanding boozer, and ended up on bottled Munich lagers to my detriment. This one wasn't a game of clear cut chances or contentious decisions like the original. Chadli's performance was ironically amusing - create no chances all game, score a good goal. Kind of like the whole Leicester team this season (sorry, I'm still bitter about last week :wink: ) Son goal very impressive, but I'm still convinced Kane needs help up top.

Allow me to say re Okazaki: understated brilliance. Under far less pressure than Vardy and arguably just as good.

Swan and rushes is a great pub, likewise new road inn next to the university.

:laugh: all season isn't fair, we were exhilaratingly entertaining until late, but now Claudio seems to have gone very stereotypically Italian - defensive and boring, playing for 0-0 and trying to hopefully knick one. Openly admitted to it for last night, and having spent half an hour queueing to get in due to the e-tickets fiasco I think I was more entertained by the queue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
First of the FA Cup fourth round games tonight, will it be the end of Van Gaal?
Reply 110
Derby are struggling - but they are such an inconsistent and unpredictable side, I can see them somehow winning tonight against LVG's United. Whatever happens, Derby need to put to bed the memory of Monday night's thrashing at Burnley.
We were very unlucky to concede 4 goals against Burnley who defended well but didn't really create too much.
I do fancy our chances against Man U, I'm not sure we'll win as I think a 1-1 draw is more likely. I didn't think we'd start Shackell and Keogh after Monday but I suppose it gives them chance to get those mistakes out their system. Keogh was fairly poor throughout but Shackell was great in the first half. I'd have preferred to see Buxton partner Shackell. Other than that I'm fairly happy with the team selection.
Reply 112
Original post by Tempest II
We were very unlucky to concede 4 goals against Burnley who defended well but didn't really create too much.
I do fancy our chances against Man U, I'm not sure we'll win as I think a 1-1 draw is more likely. I didn't think we'd start Shackell and Keogh after Monday but I suppose it gives them chance to get those mistakes out their system. Keogh was fairly poor throughout but Shackell was great in the first half. I'd have preferred to see Buxton partner Shackell. Other than that I'm fairly happy with the team selection.

Thorne took his goal exceptionally well.

Your defence let you down, though. As you mention, your back four struggled - namely Christie, who just didn't seem able to cope with Martial.
Original post by Mackay
Thorne took his goal exceptionally well.

Your defence let you down, though. As you mention, your back four struggled - namely Christie, who just didn't seem able to cope with Martial.

Martial was definitely the player who concerned me last night. I can't really blame Christie too much as a Championship defender up against a very good Premier League striker usually doesn't end well. Warnock had a great game last night, Thorne did well as you stated but Martin looked isolated until he got runners off him. Blackman probably had a the best game he's had in Derby shirt and Butterfield looked sharp as usual. Bradley Johnson has really dropped off and struggled.
I'm definitely not disheartened by the performance last night but last night was very much a free hit.
Reply 114
Chadli opens the scoring for Tottenham, putting them 1-0 up at Colchester. Should be quite a straightforward afternoon for them now.
In the 5th Round :cool:
Well done Shrewsbury
Original post by Rock Fan
Well done Shrewsbury

That game cost me a £1,077 win.
Original post by SentryE3D
That game cost me a £1,077 win.

Right in the last minute as well.
Original post by Rock Fan
Right in the last minute as well.

I had the Owls to win, 7 of the 8 teams won. It's even worse when they shout "Goal right at the death!" and it was for Shrewsbury :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest