Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone else has read "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli? If you have what did you think of it and do you study it at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    Don't know what you're on about.
    Hey there, Big Willy.
    I just wanted to say that I am ambivalent to the fact that after two years, you have finally changed your TSR avatar.
    I think the default one suits you better.

Yours until death,
    Davalla.

ReputationRep:
    I have it, really want to read it soon. I dont think I'll like it from what I know of Machiavelli though

ReputationRep:
    One of the first and greatest philosophical treatises, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picklescamp)
    I have it, really want to read it soon. I dont think I'll like it from what I know of Machiavelli though
    People have lied about the book and Machiavelli for centuries. It isn't a political book at all. It is a geopolitical book. It goes through constraint, history and geopolitical possibility. You would have to read it or listen to the audio book I posted. It really has nothing to do with "The Prince" either, rather the constraints within a structure of a principality. In the end the book was really about how the Italians could kick the French and Spanish out and rule themselves. Also he says the greatest constraint is that of luck or fortune, it doesn't matter if the prince does everything correctly he could just be unlucky and die or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)
    One of the first and greatest philosophical treatises, isn't it?
    It wasn't philosophical. It was a book about geopolitical constraints and strategy.

ReputationRep:
    Il principe? More like Illest principe :cool:

ReputationRep:
    From what I heard he wasn't being completely serious when he wrote it. I've got it but I haven't read it because I just haven't got a good enough attention span for reading books. I have studied Machiavellianism though. :coma: So good. Fits me perfectly. I always score HIGH on the mach test.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.