Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody! I am applying to Cambridge for Asian and Middle Eastern Studies and I have to submit 2 essays, but a maximum of 8 pages. Is it better to send an extract of an essay just cutting off after a paragraph and not including the conclusion or would it be better to take the intro, few body paragraphs and the conclusion, leaving out some details in the middle?

My work is just much longer than 8 pages and I don't know whether to keep in the conclusion or to just show them the beginning and the middle, (just an extract).
    Thank you and I hope to see you all in December! (fingers crossed!!)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by brittmayers)
    Hello everybody! I am applying to Cambridge for Asian and Middle Eastern Studies and I have to submit 2 essays, but a maximum of 8 pages. Is it better to send an extract of an essay just cutting off after a paragraph and not including the conclusion or would it be better to take the intro, few body paragraphs and the conclusion, leaving out some details in the middle?

My work is just much longer than 8 pages and I don't know whether to keep in the conclusion or to just show them the beginning and the middle, (just an extract).
    Thank you and I hope to see you all in December! (fingers crossed!!)
    How many pages longer? But best bet is to ask your college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well it's 9 pages but I also have to submit another essay within the 8 pages, so I have to cut some of it. Bunimmnot sure they would want me to cut things from the middle or just the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brittmayers)
    Well it's 9 pages but I also have to submit another essay within the 8 pages, so I have to cut some of it. Bunimmnot sure they would want me to cut things from the middle or just the end
    The reason they set a maximum number of pages is because they don't want to be inundated with hundreds of lengthy essays they have to go through in the limited time before they decide which candidates they invite or not. But they also want to see a typical work/essay you produced at school in a natural form without having been edited especially for the purpose of submitting it for Cambridge application. (Hence they want essays marked by your teacher)
    If your exceeds only one page, I think they'd rather want to see it in the original form. I'd suggest you contact the college and ask if it's ok, before you edit it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.