Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Edexcel GCSE history and one of the topics that will be in the exam tomorrow(!!!) is The Emergence of Modern China 1911-76, and it seems that hardly anyone is doing this topic...we were given notes and that's it!!!...apparently, there aren't any textbooks that are edexcel approved and have info on China...
    im stuck with a few questions, cause I just don't have enough information on it...can anyone heeelp???
    1) In what ways did Mao Zedong try to modernise industry and agriculture in China in the 1950s and 1960s(it's worth 15 marks, and i dont think i have enough info for 15 marks!)
    2)Why were many of Mao Zedong's industrial and agricultural policies unsuccessful in the 1950s and 1960s?(15 marks)
    3)what were the successes and failures of the Great Leap Forward(6)

any help will be appreciated v. much!

ReputationRep:
    Oh god this is a chance for me to do some revision..erm.
    1) Well theres the first 5 year plan. Got helpe from some russian experts for a bit. They gave some loans e.t.c.. Where he tried to boost china's economy by concentrating on heavy industry (steel..e.t.c). This meant there was less emphasis on light industry ( cotton and food). There was hardly any development in people's standard of life. People worked in communes. They pooled all their land,animals and tools together and so there was mass labour. This made sure they got the most out of the land and production was fast. The plan did produce record amounts of figures in industry and was successful. Then in 1958 there was the seconde five year plan which involved the great leap forward. They continued the whole commune thing. Communes took over every person's daily activities. They all ate together, slept together(!!), worked together e.t.c..No chance for being a family and rearing children anymore. School was made to take care of it..nurseries. Basically the great leap forward was a failure. Mao encouraged people to do weird things like build backyard steel furnaces in gardens. They burnt everything (utensils e.t.c..). The steel was crap, impure and could not be used..Mao was great leader however he knew nothing about sensible economics and to improve China's industry.. Technology, planning e.t.c.. was really needed but he refused all of this expert help as he didnt believe in it. He was against producing an educated elite. While he went about concentrating on heavy industry agriculture was greatly ignored. The people were made to leave their crops to concentrate in the factories. Crops were spoilt. With the increasing numbers in the cities and in general this was bad. There was major famine and loads of people DIED. It was badddddd. Cant really remember anymore.

All those questions are kind of based around the same thing aren't they..

ReputationRep:
    thank you for that information!! are you doing history tomorrow?? where do you get the info from???????
    but it says successes of Mao trying to modernize industry... :confused:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.