Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The fees are about 9000 a year for undergraduate.

From the inflating price of masters degrees alone, it is clear you are not paying for the worth of the degree, but for a trade advantage.

If I had to estimate it myself, the worth of most degrees is about 3000. If that. And for the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    it really depends on where you go and what you study. if you're doing economics, engineering, pharmacy, mathematics or computer science at a good university then the benefits outweigh the costs.

ReputationRep:
    Many money for little value, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    If people are willing to pay £9000 a year for tuition then clearly, to them, it's worth it. If it wasn't then they wouldn't be going to university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    If people are willing to pay £9000 a year for tuition then clearly, to them, it's worth it. If it wasn't then they wouldn't be going to university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Or because there is no other choice? Try getting a decent job in your dream field (say engineering, law, medicine, or anything like that) without a degree.

ReputationRep:
    The way the loan gets paid back (or not) seems pretty generous.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth the same amount as the excrement I wipe off of my anus......well a liberal arts degree is anyway. Medicine and Engineering are more than worth their salt.

ReputationRep:
    A degree is worth what you put into it.

There's no point in getting a degree if you aren't going to put enough effort in order to achieve at least a 2:1.

There's no point in doing a degree if you're just doing it just to get a degree.

If you back up your degree with experience (even if not that relevant) and if it is relevant to what you want to do in the future, then yes I think it is worth it.

Far too many people go to universities just for the sake of getting a degree and then have no idea what to do afterwards because the degree they choose isn't that useful or they don't have the relevant work experience to work in their field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    Or because there is no other choice? Try getting a decent job in your dream field (say engineering, law, medicine, or anything like that) without a degree.
    In that case, the cost of the degree(the tuition fees) is more than the benefits of the degree(the dream job), so it is worth it. They do have another choice(not to take the degree and getting a non-dream job), but they decide whether it is worth it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Or it kills three years with no real responsibility for many. Going out and getting a job and working out your income vs expenditure and becoming independant is scary for a lot of young people.

3 years of a glorified piss up, 10 hours of compulsory contact time and being conned that degree will be worth something at the end of it is appealing for a lot of youngsters these days.

ReputationRep:
    In response to the OP if we were to put a value on it...I have no idea how putting a degree on my CV if it had an influence on me getting the job I did now - if someone offered me £5000 cash for my degree and he could take it from me CV and put onto his - hypothetically I'd take it.

ReputationRep:
    A degree which leads to someone's dream field is something which they're going to value quite a lot, and therefore will be willing to pay a lot of money for. There's always the option of not pursuing your dream and finding a job in office administration instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daftpunker)
    In response to the OP if we were to put a value on it...I have no idea how putting a degree on my CV if it had an influence on me getting the job I did now - if someone offered me £5000 cash for my degree and he could take it from me CV and put onto his - hypothetically I'd take it.
    I agree but the forum won't let me send a rep.

-

Generally speaking, you want to plan with whatever degree you're doing. But even for those kind of degrees, it seems to me they're still inflated - in 2012 the price nearly tripled. Masters keep getting more expensive too. I don't think it's down to the sudden increase of value.

ReputationRep:
    'bout four hunnit and fiddy cents

ReputationRep:
    a fair bit of the sudden increase in fees payable by students is the withdrawal of other funding to the universities.

It costs money to run, a lot more than you would think.
    somebody has to pay and if central government or research money falls, it's down to the end user.

ReputationRep:
    I believe te best people are the ones who learn it themselves. They are the most passionate and best people I personally find to employ. Look, saying uni is pointless is very unpopular! However you have to understand sending everyone to uni just puts another layer on education and debt! If more people go, the less important they become. It's simple really, if everyone has one there not special like they once we're. Having a degree 10 years ago was a diffrent story to today. Your better off getting real life expirence, as an employer that is what I would look for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marco14196)
    It's worth the same amount as the excrement I wipe off of my anus......well a liberal arts degree is anyway. Medicine and Engineering are more than worth their salt.
    This.

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.