Turn on thread page Beta

which one is friendlier - warwick or soas? watch

ReputationRep:
    hi!
    just a quick note, people often claim london is expensive to go out to but i think this is a bit of a misconception, having lived there myself for three years. the difference with london is you have a choice, you can go to really expensive places e.g. pacha which is £20 to get in, or the cross which is £15...and numerous other ones like it (by the way they are both fantastic clubs), or you can go to the cheap places which you can find in any other university city or town. another difference is that london has cheap places which play cheese etc or you can go to cheap places which are for a more discerning character. hoxton and shoreditch are renowned for having cheap places but with awesome bands, djs etc, it really is an ultra cool place to go out.
    but anyways, i have some experience of soas, it really is very friendly. the ethos of the place is quite left wing, liberal and very welcoming. the people are generally very cool, loads have been travelling, do charity work etc just nice people!!
    not sure about warwick, im sure it is pretty similar but be warned it has quite a reputation for snobbery, lots of oxbridge rejects which often leaves a large chip on their shoulder.
    but thats just my opinion, im sure others have something to contribute.

ReputationRep:
    not sure about warwick, im sure it is pretty similar but be warned it has quite a reputation for snobbery, lots of oxbridge rejects which often leaves a large chip on their shoulder
    Jeeze I hope not. I was always led to believe that Warwick was more for people who wanted an alternative to oxbridge, something top of the range but without the whole snobbery thing, having such close links to "industry" and being relatively young. I thought it was more Bristol and Durham that had those reputations....though obviously reputations are often misleading. But as I'm an oxbridge reject myself maybe ive just proved your point....hopefully i ain't got no chip though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swallows)
    Jeeze I hope not. I was always led to believe that Warwick was more for people who wanted an alternative to oxbridge, something top of the range but without the whole snobbery thing, having such close links to "industry" and being relatively young. I thought it was more Bristol and Durham that had those reputations....though obviously reputations are often misleading. But as I'm an oxbridge reject myself maybe ive just proved your point....hopefully i ain't got no chip though.
    Most top tier universities will have a proportion of students that have been rejected by Oxbridge. Warwick certainly doesn't have a reputation for snobbery equivalent to that of Bristol and Durham.

ReputationRep:
    yeah durham has the worst reputation for it, or so ive heard, but warwick definitely has a reputation too...well according to my experience, which is pretty subjective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masonne)
    yeah durham has the worst reputation for it, or so ive heard, but warwick definitely has a reputation too...well according to my experience, which is pretty subjective.
    I'll find out whether it deserves the reputation soon enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    London - the biggest campus in the UK.
    I couldnt have put it better myself!

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    :confused:

There are NO deleted posts in this thread at all?
    It's a case of "I can't put up a reasonable argument and I shall therefore call the person I disagree with a fascist".

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but I made a post and now it's gone, so I drew my own, logical, conclusions. Basically, you're intent on dragging Warwick down. "Oh yeah, Warwick's boring and it's impossible to have fun there!" That's snobbery in itself. I've been out in London a few times, but it wasn't great. OK, but not great. I was simply stating my opinion that Warwick is a very friendly place and lots of fun. People who say it's not don't know what they are talking about. And I haven't come across any snobbery there at all. My boyfriend is in some of the most expensive accommodation, where you might expect to find snobs, but everyone there is really friendly and down to earth.

How can I be expected to make a convincing argument if my posts disappear? Idiot....

(Original post by Friday's Child)
    How can I be expected to make a convincing argument if my posts disappear? Idiot....
    You supposed to make a convincing argument with accusing someone of being pathetic enough to delete your posts. If you cannot do so due to the fact that you apparently cannot master the fairly simple ins and outs of posting on an internet forum then it is not me who is the idiot. I also like you "definition" of logical, which to me seems more along the lines of random thought but anyway.

As for your comments.... I have never once said Warwick is full of snobs, infact I have never even mentioned the people there so that little gem must be aimed elsewhere. I was merely pointing out that if you wish to live in one of the dullest places on this planet then Coventry would be reasonably high on your list. Im sure that anyone going to there in the summer will be fully aware that they would almost certainly have a more active nighlife at a city university for instance, the simple fact is that Warwick is a good university but for the majority of people looking for a very good time over the next 3/4 years, it probably won't win many popularity contests. <Insert pathetic childish insult here>

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but I had the "audacity" to disagree with you, and suddenly my post disappeared. It seems like a logical explanation as to why. I am familiar with the ins and outs of posting on an internet forum, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Plus, if you're the kind of person that's going to say, "Eurgh, Coventry, boring....." then you wouldn't have fun there, no. But how much fun you have is much more directly related to how much personality you have, and all the cool people I know there have a lot of fun. People who whinge about it are never going to have fun.

ReputationRep:
    erm....people......most of you havent really answered my question yet....

so....which one is FRIENDLIER? warwick? soas?

ReputationRep:
    Im going to sound competely biased here but even though i will be going to warwick in september i havent been yet so im going on what ive heard and ultimately why i chose to go there. Warwick is surrounded by nice countryside and is pretty calm i think, though there is apparently a dodgy council estate nearby. having asked friends etc what they thought, they seemed to think it is a very friendly place and i had a very long discussion with one girl whod just graduated who actually started crying cos she was gonna miss it so much, and another long conversation with someone else who had just graduated who just said its a really really nice place with little crime and she felt safe wandering around at night - not sure i would (i trust both of these people judgement and they are both what i would call very "nice" people). Theres lots of space on the campus and it seems very leafy, green and yes, generally friendly. What i hear SOAS is full of druggies (possilby a rumour) but several people say it stinks of weed. maybe the fact that its in a big city will take away from the "friendly" factor, as most cities are, but i dont really know. So yeah, i would say WARWICK. nice and friendly and green and fun and great rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangrene)
    erm....people......most of you havent really answered my question yet....

so....which one is FRIENDLIER? warwick? soas?
    I think it is very difficult to decide which is friendlier, as very few people will have had enough experience of both institutions. Have you visited them? I would have thought it would be better to choose based on which environment you'd prefer to study in. If you want a city based university choose SOAS, if you want a campus choose Warwick. Isn't this only your insurance university anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I was merely pointing out that if you wish to live in one of the dullest places on this planet then Coventry would be reasonably high on your list.
    I'm no fan of Coventry, but that is surely a little exaggerated. There are many places I can think of that are worse in this country, let alone the planet. If you want to avoid Coventry, Leamington is only two miles further from the campus and Birmingham is less than half an hour away. With the quality of facilities on the campus, Warwick might as well be considered a town in itself.

(Original post by Leekey)
    Im sure that anyone going to there in the summer will be fully aware that they would almost certainly have a more active nighlife at a city university for instance, the simple fact is that Warwick is a good university but for the majority of people looking for a very good time over the next 3/4 years, it probably won't win many popularity contests.
    This depends on what people define as looking for a good time. Yes, if they're looking for the clubbing capital of the UK, Warwick isn't exactly ideal. However, there are people looking for a campus university with a community atmosphere, surrounded by countryside and with all facilities situated in a compact area. It wouldn't be in the top 10 in the country for applications per place if there weren't. Perhaps you should consider that not everyone is looking for exactly what you are, because at the moment you're looking very narrow-minded. I'll leave out the childish insults! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swallows)
    Warwick is surrounded by nice countryside and is pretty calm i think, though there is apparently a dodgy council estate nearby.
    Oh dear. A council estate. I'm sure they'll try and keep the riff-raff masses away from you, don't worry. Gees!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    I'm no fan of Coventry, but that is surely a little exaggerated. There are many places I can think of that are worse in this country, let alone the planet. If you want to avoid Coventry, Leamington is only two miles further from the campus and Birmingham is less than half an hour away. With the quality of facilities on the campus, Warwick might as well be considered a town in itself.
    I think he was just joking, but it Coventry is certainly one of the most dullest, grim cities in the UK (that I have been too, but is reguarily called the same by others - one of whom is a friend who used to live there). Warwick Uni can be considered a town in itself, then I'm not sure about anyone else, but a town full of students sounds horrificly homogenous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    I think he was just joking, but it Coventry is certainly one of the most dullest, grim cities in the UK (that I have been too, but is reguarily called the same by others - one of whom is a friend who used to live there). Warwick Uni can be considered a town in itself, then I'm not sure about anyone else, but a town full of students sounds horrificly homogenous.
    Have you been to Hull? My grandparents live there and it is terrible! I actually like the idea of a student town. It might not be so appealing when I get there, but I've always got London to come home to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Umm - it's actually 23rd in the country for applications per place

http://www.ucas.com/figures/ads.html#instsubj
    (apologies for the decimals)1. Uxbridge College: 80
    2. Hammersmith & West London College: 72
    3. Weymouth College: 33
    4. City College Coventry: 31.3333333333333
    5. The University of Buckingham: 24.1515151515152
    6. Regents Business School London: 23.1818181818182
    7. Huddersfield Technical College: 23
    8. The Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts: 17.4431818181818
    9. Yeovil College: 15.6666666666667
    10. Lakes College - West Cumbria: 15
    11. The Central School of Speech and Drama: 13.7684729064039
    12. Greenwich School of Management: 13.5
    13. Wigan and Leigh College: 13
    14. London School of Economics and Political Science: 12.2
    15. Rose Bruford College: 11.5828877005348
    16. Mid-Cheshire College: 11.4
    17. University of Bristol: 11.3035556861593
    18. Henley College Coventry: 11.1428571428571
    19. European Business School, London: 10.6666666666667
    20. Cranfield University: 10.4666666666667
    21. Southwark College: 10.1333333333333
    22. St George's Hospital Medical School: 10.1244541484716
    23. The University of Warwick: 9.82213316892725

Looking at all courses - it's 17th if you look at degree courses only
    Sorry, I got that from the Sunday Times League Table rather than UCAS and over half of those institutions weren't in it.

ReputationRep:
    PQ Which dataset did you get that from? Does it show the figures for application per place or did you work it out?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.