Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

International Student- LLM with a 2:2 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.
    Hoping someone can put my mind at ease or at the very least give me some sort of advice.

I am looking at applying for an LLM in 2016 at any university in London.

As my grade appears to be slightly-emphasis on 'slightly'-below the required threshold of a 2:1 which is requirement for the leading institutions, what are my chances, if any, at getting into some of these universities?

I know that UCL, LSE and Kings will be near impossible, but what about QM or SOAS? Is there any leeway in their entry requirements?

I have been accepted at Uni of Westminster and imagine I would have a decent prospect of acceptance at City but is it really worth my while doing my masters there? Do degrees from these institutions have any impetus when looking for a job at a leading firm?

Your help is welcomed and appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saul123453)
    Hi everyone.
    Hoping someone can put my mind at ease or at the very least give me some sort of advice.

As my grade appears to be slightly-emphasis on 'slightly'-below the required threshold of a 2:1 which is requirement for the leading institutions, what are my chances, if any, at getting into some of these universities?

I know that UCL, LSE and Kings will be near impossible, but what about QM or SOAS? Is there any leeway in their entry requirements?

I have been accepted at Uni of Westminster and imagine I would have a decent prospect of acceptance at City but is it really worth my while doing my masters there? Do degrees from these institutions have any impetus when looking for a job at a leading firm?

Please can you offer some insight!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

You will find it very difficult to get a training contract at any decent law firm with a 2:2. That may sound harsh, but it's the reality.

People with 1st and high 2:1's find it immensely difficult to get into the legal profession. An LLM does not and will not mitigate the 2:2.

LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS and QM will probably be out of the question. At a stretch you might be able to get into QM for a less popular LLM, but even then you have to ask yourself whether it's worth it. An LLM will not help your job prospects in the UK if you have a 2:2 at undergrad.

Not to put you off, but it is a bit of a waste of money.

I'm sure you can get into Westminster, Kingston and the likes though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the response.

Is there any appeal in getting a Masters degree from the likes of Westminster or City or do they simply fall by the wayside in comparison to the other institutions?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you wanting to do an LLM?

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to spend a year abroad whilst getting some international qualifications. This will in turn improve my chances of getting a training contract back home in what is already a competitive climate.
    What your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to spend a year abroad whilst getting some international qualifications.
    Fair enough.

This will in turn improve my chances of getting a training contract back home in what is already a competitive climate.
    Without knowing where you're from it's impossible to say whether a LLM will help you get a TC there. SmaugTheTerrible already gave good advice about the LLM in the UK, that it won't make up for a 2:2. Good luck wherever you end up.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies. I'm from South Africa.

Would you consider Westminster or City a waste of time? Are they regarded as substantially lesser institutions in the legal world?

ReputationRep:
    Apologies. I'm from South Africa.

Would you consider Westminster or City a waste of time? Are they regarded as substantially lesser institutions in the legal world?
    City is quite a lot better than Westminster. I wouldn't consider City to be a waste of time.

I've given you the UK context with regards to an LLM, but I can't say whether it wouldn't benefit you in South Africa.

City will soon be part of the University of London, and that might carry some weight back home and help your chances of a training contract. But I really couldn't say authoritatively as I'm not familiar with the jurisdiction.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for all your insight. Living in South Africa, I don't really have much of an idea as to how things work there or the relative perceptions of grades and universities.

Appreciate it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.