Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Who discovered that the World wasn't flat? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Can someone please tell me who discovered that the world isn't flat because it is driving me mad!!! Thanks!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Bob Monkhouse, I believe, in 1957.

ReputationRep:
    gallileo? copernicus?

ReputationRep:
    very funny! But not the right answer lol!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Christopher Columbus.

ReputationRep:
    Galileo and Copernicus are also incorrect apparantley! So who on earth was it????

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkly_tiara)
    Hey!

Can someone please tell me who discovered that the world isn't flat because it is driving me mad!!! Thanks!

Lou
    xxx
    Actually, the myth that up to columbus, it was thought the world was flat is untrue, it was actually made up by someone writing a book about columbus. The church actually promoted the idea the earth was round.

ReputationRep:
    Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much Hornblower, Christopher Columbus was the answer i was after!!! I wrote about him in my english exam today on important people in history and am glad to know that i was right for that!! I will give you rep as you have settled my mind and an interesting debate!!!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I think Aristotle was the first prominent figure to suggest the world was in fact curved.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe it was ever discovered by one person. It was a widely held belief in some cultures that the world was not flat, but many others such as the Portugese knew it to be otherwise. What about the Vikings? They must have known that they would not fall off the edge of the earth, and that was several hundred years before Colombus.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much Hornblower, Christopher Columbus was the answer i was after!!! I wrote about him in my english exam today on important people in history and am glad to know that i was right for that!! I will give you rep as you have settled my mind and an interesting debate!!!

Lou
    xxx
    Are you serious? That was the answer? But he didn't believe that, it was merely something used to glorify him after the great land was named America in honour of his rival, and he got a little thing called Colombia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    The Vikings always sailed in sight of coasts if at all possible as they believed they would fall off the edge of the earth
    Ah, but how did they get to Finland? Or was it Greenland? Some place that was well over the horizon that they colonised anyway. Don't mistake myth for fact.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Lou
    xxx
    I did. It was me. Last thursday.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Lou
    xxx
    Nobody is sure who first deduced that the world is round. It is most likely that it was done by observing the Earth's shadow on the Moon during a lunar eclipse. Aristotle (384-322 BC) said that it was common knowledge, at least among the learned, so it's been known for at least 2,500 years.
    We do know that Eratosthenes of Cyrene was the first to accurately estimate the Earth's diameter, around 220 BC. How he did it is detailed at Astronomy Online.

What he did was use the information that, at noon on the Summer Solstice, the sun shone to the bottom of a well in Syene (now called Aswan), Egypt. This meant that the sun was making a 90° angle to the ground on that day, in Syene.

Eratosthenes then measured the angle of sunlight to the ground in Alexandria, Egypt, at noon on the same day. He used that angle to calculate what fraction of the Earth's circumference (which is 360°) was between Alexandria and Syene. Since he knew the distance to Syene, and that it was exactly south of Alexandria, he was able to calculate the Earth's circumference.

Actually, he didn't have the distance quite right--and Syene isn't exactly south of Alexandria, either.
    This was the first reasonable accurate measurement of the Earth's circumference, and it came to about 40,000 km (25,000 miles). We now know that this is an overestimate, but not by too much

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Lou
    xxx
    i still remember that advertisement when they bought an old scenery and sang, 'the all laughed at Christopher Colombus when he said the world was round' so that what i think.

anyway, the quran (before 1400+ alsao stated that the earth wasnt flat) so, you might wana take that into consideration

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Lou
    xxx
    My old mate Galileo...

ReputationRep:
    columbus didn't discover it, someone else already discovered it thats why they knew they can go the other way and still reach india without realising the american continent is in teh way.

ReputationRep:
    Aristotle mentions it in 300 something BC in On the Heavens.

memory haze....

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.