Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last school-year I got a C in higher maths, and couldn't sit AH this year (S6). Ever since, I've been looking at the first unit of the course out of interest and realized I am almost ready to sit the first assessment from what I've taught myself. (Note that I'm completely happy with the higher course after looking over it, I didn't find the exam especially difficult or unfair like a lot of people have complained, I'm a bit surprised by my result but it doesn't bother me)

Maths is always something I've enjoyed and excelled at, so I'd like to know- is it feasible that I'll be allowed to sit all the assessments through self-teaching and then sit the exam? It is also the key subject in a lot of computing science courses that I'm interested in.

I can tell at this point that learning the course won't be a problem, I am just curious about whether or not there is some kind of requirement with the SQA that I sit through classes or am enrolled in the subject in some way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    How have you excelled at maths when you just got a C?
    This isn't relevant, I don't know why you felt the need to make this comment. I had about 3 months of absence last year and despite trying to work accordingly to stay at the right pace, I must have not prioritised it enough since maths has never began to be a problem for me in the past.
    I ran through every detail of the higher course after sitting the exam. I went on Scholar and used several online resources as well as learning the first 4 weeks of the AH course so that I'd be ready to begin it in August. Going over higher was just something I did out of fear of having forgotten any part of the course after missing so much of it and then catching up hectically. I felt like my result would be A/B.

This isn't what I wanted out of this thread though. I don't want to discuss whether or not I'm capable of learning the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halophilus)
    This isn't relevant, I don't know why you felt the need to make this comment. I had about 3 months of absence last year
    The NAB, It is terribly easy - nothing like that will be asked in the actual exam as it will be MUCH harder. The NAB consists of C level questions.
    However, If you feel like you are up to it, I would recommend you take up the ADV higher in maths as it will look really good in your UCAS application - much better than higher maths.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.