Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Let me start off with some background information about myself. I am a non UK/EU student currently in my final year of bachelors degree, majoring in Physics, in my home country. Since the last two and half years or so, I have become increasingly interested in Computer Science.

I enjoy theory very much and the fact that in CS, I can study the theory and also convert it to application myself is something that appeals to me.
    I have intermediate level programming proficiency in Python and C, and basic knowledge of Java, Javascript, Ruby, and MATLAB/Octave.
    My main interest is in Machine Learning and I also enjoy AI, Algorithms and Data Structures, Data Analysis and Theory of Computation very much.

That's enough background knowledge. Getting to the main point, I wish to study CS in the UK since it's one of the few places where you can get a one year conversion degree in computer science with a background in some other subject.
    However, living in the UK and especially in London is very expensive. Add to that, the Imperial College tuition fee for non UK/EU students is ridiculously high and funding is very limited.

So, assuming I get into a London college like Imperial, taking a loan is the only option left for me. The problem comes in repaying the loan. It is senseless to even consider repaying such a loan without earning in Pounds. So getting a job in the UK is absolutely necessary.

So I would be extremely grateful if some of you good people who have already graduated from a conversion program from Imperial or UCL or some similar college in UK can inform me about the job prospects and the job situation there after graduation.

Also, what is the job situation for a non CS bachelors degree holder graduating directly with a Master's degree in Machine Learning or Big Data?

I greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Absolved the master's last year and it was really tough, but a good experience and the Imperial College brand name carries a lot.

Concerning the job perspectives it really depends what you're aiming for afterwards. Many of the students I know received very good placements in the City in technology, finance or consulting roles. For example, top employers included Amazon, Google, Palantir, Bloomberg, Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, Strategy&, McKinsey, Deutsche Bank or hedge funds. Besides those employers many graduates want to work for smaller startups or less known software houses were they have the chance to apply their knowledge after the M.Sc. and use it as a stepping stone for the big and popular employers later on.

Getting an interview with the M.Sc. is not really tough since the reputation of Imperial is stellar (even those that received a "pass" overall got good interviews), but then it is up to you and about what you've learnt during the master's and your previous knowledge. Software roles require you to demonstrate your knowledge during interviews, e.g. programming tests, algorithm application, complex situations that need to be translated into appropriate and lean code. If you really want to be in a tech heavy role then you probably need to have a previous background in programming or a technical background (which is given for you) - you cannot become a sophisticated programming machine in one year but the program maximizes the content you learn in one year. If you want to get a good placement in tech roles you could apply for a phd afterwards, which is usually fully funded. Nevertheless, I would strongly recommend the program since it is the perfect stepping stone for a career in tech, if you want to specialize after the degree you could also do another M.Sc. in a specialized role like machine learning then.

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.