Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Please help me understand the title for my coursework! watch

ReputationRep:
    compare Shakespeare and Stevenson's presentation of the conflicts between the prominent citizens, Macbeth and Henry Jekyll, and the communities in which they live, and in which these texts have been received.

If someone could re-word this to make it easier to understand and possibly give me a starting point to make it would really help!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The essay requires you to compare the conflict between Macbeth and the community she lived in

and to do the same with Jekyll. Macbeth is a play written by Shakespeare while 'Dr Jekyll and Hyde'\

was written by Stevenson. I hope you find this useful.

Inserve Writers

http://inservewriters.com/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Namenious)
    compare Shakespeare and Stevenson's presentation of the conflicts between the prominent citizens, Macbeth and Henry Jekyll, and the communities in which they live, and in which these texts have been received.

If someone could re-word this to make it easier to understand and possibly give me a starting point to make it would really help!

Thanks
    1) conflict between prominent citizens: so you are looking at what sort of issues Macbeth and Henry face and how their social class causes or contributes to their issues. E.g Macbeth's title as Thawdor (with the help of the Witches) makes him crave to be king. The conflict that Macbeth faces is the other men and obviously Duncan is still king so he sets to murder. So his conflict is more internal; as in the conflict between reason and emotion.

2) Communities in which they live: So Macbeth lives in a community where kingship, hierarchy and dominance is a powerful and fulfilling role so links back to the last part I said in point one.

3) which these texts have been received: so received I would have probably thought it means when it was written and performed (Shakespeare) and published/read (Stevenson). All this means is how was the texts influenced by the time of writing. What historical, social and cultural significances can you relate from the society to the text and vice versa. So for Macbeth that's something like looking at how the people in 1600s viewed James I, and royality, and the monarchy. For Strange Case, it's looking at science vs. religion/philosophy and faith. You're also looking at how the perception of madness was viewed in Victorian England too. These are the conflicts the novel explores (from what I can recall).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namenious)

Thanks
    I agree the question makes little sense to me as well. You do have the assignment correctly copied??

I do not know Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde to well so I will confine myself to Macbeth.

I agree the question makes life difficult. From what I can see the question has two parts:-
    a) How did these characters deal with the establishment within which they lived?
    b) How were these books received by the establishments wherein which they were published?

Therefore you need to divide your essay into these two sections. Respondent 3 has given you some good ideas for the part b and Jekyll and Hyde. I would suggest that might be worth exploring.
    Macbeth was written between 1603 and 1606 and therefore was completed the year following the Gunpowder Plot. Therefore maybe you want to examine the early years of the establishment of the Stewart Kings in England. In addition it would be worth looking at the idea of assassination: that after all was what the Gunpowder Plot was all about.

In Macbeth Cawder and Macdonwald undertake a military coup and remove Duncan. They see him as a weak king. It is MacBeth who stops them. The Gunpowder plotters see James reinstating the Catholic religion. It also did not help, that from the beginning of his reign James wanted to unify Scotland and England.

Macbeth - the play - describes a very unsettled time in Scotland. The years 1603 to 1606 was a very unsettled time in England. I would work around those areas. If you can borrow a copy of "1606" by James Shapiro it would be worth having a look through.

Now as regards Macbeth's conflict with prominent citizens, the truth is he is not in conflict. Act 1 Sc2 show him single handedly defeating the coup. It is he who saves Scotland. The first meeting with the witches A1 S3 does not make him want to be King: he leaves the issue to fate. In that first meeting with Lady Macbeth A1 S5 he dodges the question of Kingship. In A1 S7 he decides he will not murder the King. Therefore, if anything Macbeth supports the establishment rather than oppose it. It is being forced into the assassination - at the end of A1 Sc 7 - by his wife that changes everything. From thereon the conflicts are not about policy or politics: they are all about self interest.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.