Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I came across an article about some incestuous mormons in Utah a good some time ago. I just thought they believed in that too. Doubt if I can find the article now though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I came across an article about some incestuous mormons in Utah a good some time ago. I just thought they believed in that too. Doubt if I can find the article now though.
    Oh well obviously I can't comment as I have not seen that article. You could be right but this is the first I hear of this. I don't know any people or faith (Amish, Mormon, etc) which are pro incest. Besides it is illegal in any part of the world even Utah.

ReputationRep:
    incest is diiiiiiiirrrrty. theres enough people on this planet, why wud u wana mate wiv your family!

ReputationRep:
    I think there's "sexual relationship", and then there's "reproduction".
    Reproduction between individuals with similar genetics is never good - the genome needs variation to survive, or else it gets corrupted by itself and dies out.
    A sexual relationship, however, one that does not produce babies, is up to the consenting adults.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowStorm)
    I think there's "sexual relationship", and then there's "reproduction".
    Reproduction between individuals with similar genetics is never good - the genome needs variation to survive, or else it gets corrupted by itself and dies out.
    A sexual relationship, however, one that does not produce babies, is up to the consenting adults.
    what the! wot u goin on about now, "is up to the consenting adults" would you bone your mummy? if she consented?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boxer)
    what the! wot u goin on about now, "is up to the consenting adults" would you bone your mummy? if she consented?
    Some people may, I personally am disgusted by the idea of sleeping with anyone in my family. But some people aren't which is why incest happens. I personally think that they should be allowed to if they want to and there is no abuse involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Some people may, I personally am disgusted by the idea of sleeping with anyone in my family. But some people aren't which is why incest happens. I personally think that they should be allowed to if they want to and there is no abuse involved.
    ok, let's look at it this way, let's say you had a brother. and your brother wanted to have casual sex with your mother. going along with "i personally think that they should be allowed" means u wouldn't mind that!

u sicko

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boxer)
    ok, let's look at it this way, let's say you had a brother. and your brother wanted to have casual sex with your mother. going along with "i personally think that they should be allowed" means u wouldn't mind that!

u sicko
    I personally wouldn't like it. As I said the idea makes me feel ill. However if they are consenting adults there really isn't anything that I can do to prevent them is there? I would make sure that they knew that I was upset about it. I would possibly not talk to them but there is nothing that I can do to stop them, they are both adults.

I mean what can you do in that situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boxer)
    yeah, personally if they are both adults its their opinion, id just go along with it. I would never think of doing it myself, but i believe everyone has their own opnion, so yeah

TROD.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't like it. As I said the idea makes me feel ill. However if they are consenting adults there really isn't anything that I can do to prevent them is there? I would make sure that they knew that I was upset about it. I would possibly not talk to them but there is nothing that I can do to stop them, they are both adults.

knock some sense into the person! jeeeez, i wouldn't stand by and watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boxer)
    knock some sense into the person! jeeeez, i wouldn't stand by and watch.
    Ok so I am meant to beat up my brother who is taller than me and stronger than me. Like that can happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boxer)
    Did I imply that I am attracted to my mother?
    I didn't say that I approved of it - in fact I find it detestable, but it's not my choice. Nor is it yours, you fascist pig.
    I was merely stating the facts, there was no need for a personal attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Outrageous)
    Oh well obviously I can't comment as I have not seen that article. You could be right but this is the first I hear of this. I don't know any people or faith (Amish, Mormon, etc) which are pro incest. Besides it is illegal in any part of the world even Utah.
    I might be able to find it in the summer holidays but it was on the web so it could always be deleted etc.

Yeah I do get kinda overwhelmed by the amount of faiths there are and I know on other topics there are differences between faiths despite being in the same religion, so I thought there must be one faith that supports this idea etc.

I was given the impression incest is legal in Germany though I very much doubt that. There must be a country that allows it. Sod's law isn't it?

On the children and that note, I think a lot less people who have committed incest will actually have children. I did come across a guy who had 5 children with his daughter, and whilst people here will label him a sicko, he became mentally unstable. Think it was the loss of his wife or something.

I think a lot more incest goes on than people realise. I read somewhere that the most common is sister/daughter in an educational book, and they are only doing this to know what sex is.

ReputationRep:

If you extrapolate it to national level, as a population you can construct legilsation to prevent them having sex. If the majority of the population do not want to allow people to have incestuous sexual relatioships then as a democracy it is perfectly feasable to make it illegal.

Personally, the level of disgust I feel at the thought of incest overrides my wanting people to have freedom to do what they want, thus I would vote to make it illegal. I don't think the rights of a minority should come before the rights of the majority.

This whole 'two consenting adults' thing is stupid though. What about a rich person purchasing an organ of a consenting poor person? Or a consenting drug addict purhcasing class A drugs off a dealer? Or a conesnting group of people committing mass suicide by allowing someone to kill them (Heaven's Gate)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benm)
    If you extrapolate it to national level, as a population you can construct legilsation to prevent them having sex. If the majority of the population do not want to allow people to have incestuous sexual relatioships then as a democracy it is perfectly feasable to make it illegal.

Personally, the level of disgust I feel at the thought of incest overrides my wanting people to have freedom to do what they want, thus I would vote to make it illegal. I don't think the rights of a minority should come before the rights of the majority.

This whole 'two consenting adults' thing is stupid though. What about a rich person purchasing an organ of a consenting poor person? Or a consenting drug addict purhcasing class A drugs off a dealer? Or a conesnting group of people committing mass suicide by allowing someone to kill them (Heaven's Gate)?
    Democracy, that is debatable and is not of this topic anyway.

Minority should not override the majority. I can see this being shown that it does happen and has happened on several topics. But I will let other people show you.

With issue of consent you don't half make an exaggeration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I think a lot more incest goes on than people realise. I read somewhere that the most common is sister/daughter in an educational book, and they are only doing this to know what sex is.
    i read summet like that, it said that on average (this is of people who ACTUALLY admitted years later) around 1 out of 5 sisters had tried 'incest', but only when they were between 10-14 to find out what sex is.

It may have been a TV programme, but 1 in 5 is still high. Thing is at that age they dont understand that it is wrong, apparently

TROD.

ReputationRep:
    I should have said sister/brother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2slick)
    i think it is sick. when religion and science show us that something is wrong, we cannot argue with it
    I think religion (and often science) just reflect what the majority of people regard to be the norm at any specific time (obviously what is considered the norm varies from culture to culture)

ReputationRep:
    "when religion and science show us that something is wrong, we cannot argue with it"

Many topics have involved science and religion where they both said something is wrong, and were proven wrong later. Plenty of them that have happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parvati)
    I think religion (and often science) just reflect what the majority of people regard to be the norm at any specific time (obviously what is considered the norm varies from culture to culture)
    So Jews living in , say France, are not religious ? Being religious does not imply being a majority. Religious beleif is typically defined as a personal beleif you are not able to provide any evidence for. Thus when Einstein said he did not beleive that the future was undeterministic that was a religious rather than scientific statement. The scientific method stresses that religious beleif should be left out of research. Therefore all scientific papers typically state things such as "Assuming conservation of energy to be valid" or "Assuming Einsteins theory of relativity to be more accurate than required for this experiment". Basicly a scientific paper does not seek to prove to a 100% that something is true, it seeks to provide a reasonable evidence for why one should assume something to be true eaven though it may not.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.