Can incest ever be justified? Watch

This discussion is closed.
rod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It is selfish to believe that because two people love each other the taboos of society should not stop them expressing that love physically. It is selfish simply because any child that may result from an incestuous relationship will suffer as a result.

Fertilisation of gametes from two closely related people ensures that many recessive alleles will be homozygous, and will thus be expressed in the phenotype where they would not normally have been where the sexual partners were not related. In simple the result of this is a child more likely to develop severe genetic disabilities such as haemophilia (as seen historically in European royal families).

Is this a price to pay to satisfy a sexual whim?
Outrageous
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
I might be able to find it in the summer holidays but it was on the web so it could always be deleted etc.

Yeah I do get kinda overwhelmed by the amount of faiths there are and I know on other topics there are differences between faiths despite being in the same religion, so I thought there must be one faith that supports this idea etc.

I was given the impression incest is legal in Germany though I very much doubt that. There must be a country that allows it. Sod's law isn't it?

On the children and that note, I think a lot less people who have committed incest will actually have children. I did come across a guy who had 5 children with his daughter, and whilst people here will label him a sicko, he became mentally unstable. Think it was the loss of his wife or something.

I think a lot more incest goes on than people realise. I read somewhere that the most common is sister/daughter in an educational book, and they are only doing this to know what sex is.
Jees. Really? Well I can definetely assure you that incest is not legal in Germany. I can only imagine it being "legal" in the most primitive of societies and are there even many of those left? Like tribes and clans from the jungle or rain forests? Even they I think may shy away.

Incest happens. No doubt. But I don't believe its usually conscented by the two. Usually its one horny person who attacks a his child or a brother his sibling or the like. Its gross. Woody Allen althought not married to his adoptive daughter had intimate relations with her and so his marriage was over when it got out. But thats not a blood bond. Man, there are like 6,5 billion people out there. Can't people date one of those?

I haven't heard of any faiths which may support this. Amish although very secretive and confined to primitive and non modern beliefs and practice still would not go down that road surely? They do their communities. But again I can't say.
rod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Incest is certainly not legal in Germany, and i dont know of any country of which it is, quite rightly so. It remains a taboo all over the world, and there are good reasons for that.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rod)
It is selfish to believe that because two people love each other the taboos of society should not stop them expressing that love physically. It is selfish simply because any child that may result from an incestuous relationship will suffer as a result.

Fertilisation of gametes from two closely related people ensures that many recessive alleles will be homozygous, and will thus be expressed in the phenotype where they would not normally have been where the sexual partners were not related. In simple the result of this is a child more likely to develop severe genetic disabilities such as haemophilia (as seen historically in European royal families).

Is this a price to pay to satisfy a sexual whim?
I think you are over reacting a bit with the biology tbh. Yes there is a chance that both parents will contain a recessive allel but it is more likely that the offspring will be heterozygous. Problems that have be associated with incest are normally a result of continuous incest which leads to the increase in recessive allels that you described in your post. I think that what too consenting adults do is their own buisness. I mean would you have people with huntingtons and other diseases carried by dominant alles sterilised because they are more likely to have a child with a genetic disorder than the child or an incestuous couple.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
I mean would you have people with huntingtons and other diseases carried by dominant alles sterilised because they are more likely to have a child with a genetic disorder than the child or an incestuous couple.
If we did that people will be outraged. Logic seems to only apply one way. People talking about dominance etc. it has been stressed that that will be viewed as rape and so on. I don't see the same people show such arguments against chastisement of children. Why should you be allowed to slap your child's arse? Do tell me.

Are we allowed to sterilise or force abortions when two people have sex who are seriously handicapped say Down Syndrome?
rod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
I think you are over reacting a bit with the biology tbh. Yes there is a chance that both parents will contain a recessive allel but it is more likely that the offspring will be heterozygous. Problems that have be associated with incest are normally a result of continuous incest which leads to the increase in recessive allels that you described in your post. I think that what too consenting adults do is their own buisness. I mean would you have people with huntingtons and other diseases carried by dominant alles sterilised because they are more likely to have a child with a genetic disorder than the child or an incestuous couple.
Ok you do have a good point, i didnt consider it in that sense.
Mad_Monkey59
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you are aware that the person you are shagging is your sister, or a relation... you are fuked up... there is no defence and there is no excuse!!!
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
If you are aware that the person you are shagging is your sister, or a relation... you are fuked up... there is no defence and there is no excuse!!!
Why do you feel that way though. I mean why is it so bad in you view. I mean obviously there is a stigma attached to it and most people find it disgusting but who are we to stop adults doing what they want?
Mad_Monkey59
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol... we are no-one to stop them... why would they want to do it on the first place? Its a basic human reaction, we could narrow and condese it down to the fact that it is bad for society through genetics etc, but its just intrinsically wrong.

- if they want to shag their relatives, fine, aslong as they don't mind goin on Jerry Springer and being laughed at and verbally abused... there are plenty of other people on the planet to do that with!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol... we are no-one to stop them... why would they want to do it on the first place? Its a basic human reaction, we could narrow and condese it down to the fact that it is bad for society through genetics etc, but its just intrinsically wrong.

- if they want to shag their relatives, fine, aslong as they don't mind goin on Jerry Springer and being laughed at and verbally abused... there are plenty of other people on the planet to do that with!
Other 'types' of people have been subject to such treatment in the past, but will be very less so now.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

You can't choose who you fall in love with and I don't think people should be verbally abused. Especially as the genetic and social problems are debatable.
Mad_Monkey59
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So are you shagging your relatives???
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my aunt and uncle are cousins
they didnt grow up together, they met later on in life and fell in love
whats so wrong with that? :confused:
plus their children are cute, adorable, and very smart.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No why would you assume that?
Spectre
Report 14 years ago
what a ridicules topic. I can't believe 25.51% voted yes. :eek: :mad:
Mad_Monkey59
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
im not... but i bet the idea disgusts you... i bet for a split second you were angry i asked... because the idea is intrinsically wrong.

yes it is a good idea to question why we feel a certain way, but sometimes we should just accept things the way they are.
Mad_Monkey59
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my feelings exactly spectre... does that mean that 25 percent of people on these boards are shagging there relatives?
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
because the idea is intrinsically wrong..
opinion not fact you are yet to establish that fact
Mad_Monkey59
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what is it with you and establishing fact... look at the poll, 75% of people find it wrong... and thats just in this poll... go ask someone on the street, it doesn't need to be researched its commen sense.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
im not... but i bet the idea disgusts you... i bet for a split second you were angry i asked... because the idea is intrinsically wrong.

yes it is a good idea to question why we feel a certain way, but sometimes we should just accept things the way they are

my feelings exactly spectre... does that mean that 25 percent of people on these boards are shagging there relatives?
Personally I am a vegetarian and I am disgusted by the idea of eating meat. I would be angery if someone questioned my belief in that. This how I feel about incest. I personally find it disgusting but I wouldn't say that other people can't do it. Just as I find eating meat disgusting. The result doesn't meant hat 25% are sleeping with their relitives it just means that these people don't think that people who do should be condemmed for it.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (661)
80.61%
Leave (159)
19.39%

Watched Threads