Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    what is it with you and establishing fact... look at the poll, 75% of people find it wrong... and thats just in this poll... go ask someone on the street, it doesn't need to be researched its commen sense.
    Public opinon does not make it a fact. The reason we have facts is to examine them and then base reasons on them. You have reasons but no facts. Actaully I am a little doubtful about your reasons, your posts are more unbassed assertions.

ReputationRep:
    oh jesus... all you do is ask me to prove stuff, then when I say use your commen sense u decide that you need conclusive proof.

We are argueing about opinion, NOT fact, the opinion of the british people IS that incest is wrong... if u need proof go and do a survey. Or alternativly look at the poll.

Do you think its okay to shag your sister?

ReputationRep:
    oh jesus... all you do is ask me to prove stuff, then when I say use your commen sense u decide that you need conclusive proof.

We are argueing about opinion, NOT fact, the opinion of the british people IS that incest is wrong... if u need proof go and do a survey. Or alternativly look at the poll.

Do you think its okay to shag your sister?
    you said its
    idea is intrinsically wrong
    that is stated as a fact, all i am asking is that you back up what you say

Common sense is not always right and it makes for rubbish debating which is surely why you are here?

ReputationRep:
    yer i debate you talk rubbish.

do you know what intrinsic is? - it means wrong inside, wrong by definition, like murder, like ummm shaggin a member of your family.

and i have backed it up, look at the fukin poll... is that not research is that not a fact... the majority of people in this forum feel incest is wrong. FACT.

and i never said common sense is right... you said that.

and dont result to throwing around stupid insults... it just makes me lose any respect for you, since you are yet to make a point of your own, all you are doin is askin for figures... which due to the fact it is such a widely accepted oppinion that incest is wrong... it needs none. (look at the poll)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Personally I am a vegetarian and I am disgusted by the idea of eating meat. I would be angery if someone questioned my belief in that. This how I feel about incest. I personally find it disgusting but I wouldn't say that other people can't do it. Just as I find eating meat disgusting. The result doesn't meant hat 25% are sleeping with their relitives it just means that these people don't think that people who do should be condemmed for it.
    This is exactly what I feel on the subject. You were just able to put it into words

ReputationRep:
    yer i debate you talk rubbish.

do you know what intrinsic is? - it means wrong inside, wrong by definition, like murder, like ummm shaggin a member of your family.

and i have backed it up, look at the fukin poll... is that not research is that not a fact... the majority of people in this forum feel incest is wrong. FACT.

and i never said common sense is right... you said that.

and dont result to throwing around stupid insults... it just makes me lose any respect for you, since you are yet to make a point of your own, all you are doin is askin for figures... which due to the fact it is such a widely accepted oppinion that incest is wrong... it needs none. (look at the poll)
    ok so far i have no insulted you once so i dont know where you get this idea from
    1.yes i know what intrinstic means funnily enough
    2.the fact that i have asked to justify is that its "wrong by defintion" you refer to the poll as fact yet that is not evidence. Evidence would be saying I think it is morally wrong because it (we were talking about say third world debt) it makes countries too poor and they cannot feed their popultions. Hence third world debt is leading to murder which is obvioulsly morally wrong. Therefore you have to use morality or logic to justify your arguement.
    3.Yes it is a fact that the majority of the forum agrees with you, however that does not justify your arguement. The majority of people in Nazi germany who voted for him thought he was right too that does not make it morally right thought. Morality is based on logic.
    4.Where did i say common sense is right?
    You said
    all you do is ask me to prove stuff, then when I say use your commen sense
    That is implying that common sense is justification enough and you are wrong on that as you now agree.

Do you know what the word "owned" means?

ReputationRep:
    okay... we are obviously arguing about different things.

as far as i can tell, you are saying that the majority of this forum are saying that incest is not wrong. I am saying look at the poll.

the poll is a forecast, a prediction onto the rest of the population, therefore I am saying that Britain thinks incest is wrong.

You, as far as i can tell you are denying this link.

This leads me to belive you are a arrogant plonker... surely you can understand the link... surely a man such as yourself can make this link?

ReputationRep:
    okay... we are obviously arguing about different things.

as far as i can tell, you are saying that the majority of this forum are saying that incest is not wrong. I am saying look at the poll.

the poll is a forecast, a prediction onto the rest of the population, therefore I am saying that Britain thinks incest is wrong.

You, as far as i can tell you are denying this link.

This leads me to belive you are a arrogant plonker... surely you can understand the link... surely a man such as yourself can make this link?
    sorry did you read my post? and what news paper do you read?

ReputationRep:
    This how I feel about incest. I personally find it disgusting but I wouldn't say that other people can't do it. - randdom

this is exactly what i have been saying for the last 2 hours. - what exactly are we argueing about.

ReputationRep:
    guardian and times

ReputationRep:
    This how I feel about incest. I personally find it disgusting but I wouldn't say that other people can't do it. - randdom

this is exactly what i have been saying for the last 2 hours. - what exactly are we argueing about.
    I am arguing that you have failed to back up that view with any evidence at all. Gut reaction is one thing however its nothing in the face of logic. You have yet to provide any logic to back up your view that incest is wrong apart from what you feel is right. What is actually right must be based on a firm arguement.

ReputationRep:
    i did read your post and you just said what i have been arguing about... the majority of people do find incest wrong in this forum.

unlike nazi germany i am sure that this oppinion is shared the world over, apart from a few 'cultures'.

this unfortunetly is unprovable, and it is unreasonable for you to ask me to do so.

are you denying that incest is generally viewed as wrong the world over, or are u argueing for the sake of it?

ReputationRep:
    for the last time mate, i am argueing that intrinsically, incest is viewed as wrong generally. - as you said a gut reaction, what i am NOT doin is saying it is wrong, fact.

ReputationRep:

That isn't logical. No offense to anyone here but this forum is not an accurate representation of Britain. I mean look at the number or people who voted, the number of people who have extremist views the number of people who are for and against the death penalty. None of these views are in the same proportion as they are in the british public. Now this poll shows what the people on this forum think yes. But it can't be expanded to the the rest of Britain because it is not an accurate representation.

ReputationRep:
    i did read your post and you just said what i have been arguing about... the majority of people do find incest wrong in this forum.

unlike nazi germany i am sure that this oppinion is shared the world over, apart from a few 'cultures'.

this unfortunetly is unprovable, and it is unreasonable for you to ask me to do so.

are you denying that incest is generally viewed as wrong the world over, or are u argueing for the sake of it?
    The nazi germany example is that public opinion does not equal a fact. And hence you are still to justify your postion, but that has been your best post so far.

ReputationRep:
    for the last time mate, i am argueing that intrinsically, incest is viewed as wrong generally. - as you said a gut reaction, what i am NOT doin is saying it is wrong, fact.
    yes it is viewed as wrong on this forum, but that does not make it wrong agreed

ReputationRep:
    im learning

im glad thats over with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    yes it is viewed as wrong on this forum, but that does not make it wrong agreed
    Wrongness is entirely relative, so yes, if it is deemed wrong on this forum, then, relative to this forum - it is wrong. Again, if the population feel that incest cannot be justified, then morally, relative to the population, incest is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    yeah we established that - after two hours of arguing lol

ReputationRep:
    Incest is sick

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.