Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I had planned on enrolling onto an Access course this year, however I was unsure as to what to study. Eventually, I decided on Art and Design but now I feel it was the wrong course. I am unable to change now and would have to wait until next year to study the course I'd want to do.

I'd be 23 at this time and would be 24 if I decided to enrol at university in 2017. I am worried that I would be much older than the current students and fear that this might impact on my studies. Also, I am possibly interested in a Computing degree, however I realise this requires a lot of Maths. If I decide to go onto University and study this, I would likely need to study a Foundation degree which would be four years instead of three. Because of this, I would likely leave university at the age of 28 with a degree, six/several years older than many of the students who are leaving at 21/22.

Alternatively, I could already go to university in 2016, however the reason I have not done so is due to being unsure about what I would want to study. I have the qualifications to study there, although not in a Computing subject which is something I have considered about doing.

I would appreciate any advice that can be offered in respect of my predicament.

ReputationRep:
    I think you would rather go to Uni when you are sure about what to do as it does require a lot of motivation and all.. and if you are worried about you being older, i don't think that should be a major problem...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bocicowo)
    Hi all,

I had planned on enrolling onto an Access course this year, however I was unsure as to what to study. Eventually, I decided on Art and Design but now I feel it was the wrong course. I am unable to change now and would have to wait until next year to study the course I'd want to do.

I'd be 23 at this time and would be 24 if I decided to enrol at university in 2017. I am worried that I would be much older than the current students and fear that this might impact on my studies. Also, I am possibly interested in a Computing degree, however I realise this requires a lot of Maths. If I decide to go onto University and study this, I would likely need to study a Foundation degree which would be four years instead of three. Because of this, I would likely leave university at the age of 28 with a degree, six/several years older than many of the students who are leaving at 21/22.

Alternatively, I could already go to university in 2016, however the reason I have not done so is due to being unsure about what I would want to study. I have the qualifications to study there, although not in a Computing subject which is something I have considered about doing.

I would appreciate any advice that can be offered in respect of my predicament.
    Age does not mean anything, as there have been people who have earned degrees in their late 50's. I would suggest you think carefully about which course you would enjoy doing at Uni, it has to be one that you will enjoy otherwise it'll be a waste of your time and money. Once you have decided the relevant course then you can apply to Uni.

Don't let your age or any other trivial isssue get in the way of your career and education, because it will damage your chances of success. Just stay strong and work hard.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I just feel like I'm wasting away because I never went to university in the meantime. Being at least 23 before I do begin higher education, I just feel as if I will be terribly older than most of the students there who will have all had the life experiences that I have not. For example, I have never had a girlfriend, never had a full-time job and have little skills and accomplishments.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 31 and about 9 weeks into my access course which is split over 2 years. I failed horribly at school as they called me lazy and uninterested and wouldn't help me. It took a serious illnesses to renew my want to better myself and try education again. I found out two weeks ago I have some brain damage since birth which damaged my process parts of my brain. It shook me but I am still hitting high merits in my work and throw everything I have into my study. I'm older than 95% of my course by the time uni come round I will almost be 34. I don't feel out if place or wasting away, slow but steady wins the race, and I have made great friends on my course most being 20-24. My advice is keep working, know what you want and you will get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bocicowo)
    Yes, but I just feel like I'm wasting away because I never went to university in the meantime. Being at least 23 before I do begin higher education, I just feel as if I will be terribly older than most of the students there who will have all had the life experiences that I have not. For example, I have never had a girlfriend, never had a full-time job and have little skills and accomplishments.
    There are loads of students at university in their mid twenties. You won't stand out at all. If you feel uncomfortable about going into halls with 18 year olds, look for universities that set aside some areas in halls for mature students. Although, I'll bet that nobody would notice your age anyway.

So what if you've never had a job/girlfriend/etc. University gives you plenty of opportunities to get part-time work and make new friends, both of which could open up possibilities for you.

As far as a career is concerned, I don't think it matters if you are a little older than other graduates. A more useful comparison is you-as-a-28-year-old-graduate and you-as-a-28-year-old-without-a-useful-degree.

I second the advice given above, that you shouldn't waste your time studying something that doesn't appeal. If you are sure that computer science is for you, them start researching what you need now. Finishing the Access course you are on now may be enough to get you onto a foundation year, even though the subjects are very different. You should take a look at the courses that interest you, and contact the admissions tutor to ask for advice on how to proceed from your current situation.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.