Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would I be taxed for this one off job? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If I am on a generally very low income (£40-50 a week) and receive employment support for a disability, but how would I be taxed for a freelance writing job where I get paid £700 in one lump sum? I have no record of how many hours I worked... But I guess it was less than 10 hours.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Have you worked at all since April 2015? You shouldn't be. But your employment support allowance, if income based will be affected.

ReputationRep:
    You will likely have to pay NI as I believe that is done at 10% for anyone who has earned more than about £150 a week. You may have to pay income tax for that month, but you will get that back as a rebate if you do pay, because you will not be above tax allowance for the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattyJMP)
    You will likely have to pay NI as I believe that is done at 10% for anyone who has earned more than about £150 a week. You may have to pay income tax for that month, but you will get that back as a rebate if you do pay, because you will not be above tax allowance for the year.
    Typically, I wouldn't expect freelancer to be taxed under PAYE, so the potential for the income to be taxed but for there to be a later refund wouldn't apply. National Insurance Contributions also work differently for self-employment income

(Original post by lizfairy)
    If I am on a generally very low income (£40-50 a week) and receive employment support for a disability, but how would I be taxed for a freelance writing job where I get paid £700 in one lump sum? I have no record of how many hours I worked... But I guess it was less than 10 hours.
    For self-employed income, which you've described this as, any relevant income tax would be determined by submission of a tax return following the end of the tax year (you have until 31 January following the end of the tax year, on 5 April, to do this). If your total income for the tax year, including any other taxable income, is covered by your personal allowance (£10,600 for the current year), then I wouldn't expect you to have any income tax liability on this income. This should be the case if, as you say, your other income is only £40-£50 per week throughout the year.

This aside, I'd recommend contacting HMRC to let them know, as if you have self-employment income then you may be required to register as such with them.

If, however, you're actually a short-term employee taxed under PAYE, please reply to clarify as the implications are significantly different.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.