Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how would i start going about proving that if p belongs to the global manifold then the flow of p tends to the hyperbolic saddle point as t (time) tends to infinity?

intuitively the problem makes sense as p would also belong to the flow of the local stable manifold which goes towards the hyperbolic saddle point as t increases. Not sure how to prove that mathematically or is it acceptable to explain it like this.

got another one asking if the unstable and stable manifolds for a hyperbolic point can intersect at a point which is not a fixed point. Again intuitively im thinking no because it would mean there would be an intersection between the flow of local stable/unstable manifolds which I don't think is possible?

Thanks in advance
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    Sorry, can't help my self.

This isn't the best forum to post on. I suggest reposting on the maths forum - a subforum of this one. Mods can move threads, but it usually takes a few hours. May still take a while to get a useful response, even there.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    BUMP - as this thread's now been moved, and is worthy of some knowledgeably person's attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    how would i start going about proving that if p belongs to the global manifold then the flow of p tends to the hyperbolic saddle point as t (time) tends to infinity?

intuitively the problem makes sense as p would also belong to the flow of the local stable manifold which goes towards the hyperbolic saddle point as t increases. Not sure how to prove that mathematically or is it acceptable to explain it like this.
    I'm very rusty on this material, but I'll attempt to help. First, are you able to clarify this question a bit? I'm unfamiliar with the term "global manifold" (do you mean "global invariant manifold"?) Second, what level of rigour is expected here? Is this an undergrad differential equations course or a graduate dynamical systems course?

got another one asking if the unstable and stable manifolds for a hyperbolic point can intersect at a point which is not a fixed point. Again intuitively im thinking no because it would mean there would be an intersection between the flow of local stable/unstable manifolds which I don't think is possible?

Thanks in advance
    Isn't a homoclinic point one that lies on the intersection of the stabel and unstable manifolds of a given fixed point? I don't remember much about them, but I do recall that homoclinic orbits get very complicated very fast!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 9, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.