Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I currently work full time in a management position. I am really keen to get into teaching next year, hopefully the PGDE, however I feel that my current job is restricting my ability to focus on what I want e.g. getting experience etc. (I usually end up working 50+ hours per week). I am considering moving to a non-management role to give me more time for such things but I don't know how this would look from an application/CV point of view. What does everyone think?

ReputationRep:
    Up until September I worked within management at Tesco. Last week I applied for my PGCE and I don't doubt I'll get accepted.

In the space of a month I applied for numerous Teaching Assistant positions and received several interviews, arranged a voluntary placement in another school (whilst waiting/to fill time) and now have 2 jobs. One as a Mental Health Support Worker for young adults in a residential hospital (I want to do Psychology so working in mental health is relevant and it's with the age range I want to teach) and I applied for a position as a Mentor but ended up being asked to attend a Cover Supervisor interview instead which is obviously beneficial as I'm working in a school delivering lessons to students, I'm able to observe teachers in my free time and I can network.

I was honest in my applications in that I wanted a career change and that I intended to apply for my PGCE this year. I've been quite proactive in contacting schools, asked questions and educate myself on different teaching approaches (for example, SEND students or EAL). I joined TES as well which is a forum for teachers and has fantastic threads full of interview questions to practice, and they have a fortnightly magazine you can subscribe too which is full of relevant teaching news.

Don't forget that management positions show you're able to lead a team towards goals (similar to a students and target grades), you're able to delegate tasks based on ability and understand how to work with weaker colleagues (students are mixed ability and so are classes), perhaps you dabbled in training? or taught your colleagues new things? You could relate this back to learning styles and accommodating for different needs. I'm assuming you have KPI and targets to meet, as well as admin - so does teaching. It's taught you to prioritse your workload, cope under pressure and be organised.

I'd advise you to start revising for your Professional Skills Test too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info Findlay6 - it's good to hear about someone else similar to me! I too have been quite active in working around schools recently and have subscribed to TES as well as several other resource sites.

I know I will be able to use my experience etc in a teaching environment so in many ways my current employment is of benefit.

I guess my concern is around whether stepping down to allow me to work towards my ambitions would be justified and understood by interviewers etc? Short term I would look to stay with my current employer in a less demanding role and move into education when I can.

Best of luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alijm20)
    Thanks for the info Findlay6 - it's good to hear about someone else similar to me! I too have been quite active in working around schools recently and have subscribed to TES as well as several other resource sites.

I know I will be able to use my experience etc in a teaching environment so in many ways my current employment is of benefit.

I guess my concern is around whether stepping down to allow me to work towards my ambitions would be justified and understood by interviewers etc? Short term I would look to stay with my current employer in a less demanding role and move into education when I can.

Best of luck with your application!
    I can't see why not. How can you possibly enter a new career when you're so invested in another. There's just not enough time!
    It takes balls to step down or leave and be right at the bottom again, they know that.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.