Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why I suggest you avoid working in China as foreign ESL or TEFL teacher or any job watch

ReputationRep:
    I have now lived in China for four years and am leaving when my contract expires in June. My family and I just had chest X-Rays in order to get some health insurance. The doctor advised us to stop smoking. The problem is... nobody in our family ever were smokers! But the XRays of our lungs indicate we have been smoking for at least a decade.

Our last xrays taken in Seattle in 2008 were crystal clear and now well-hidden info (blocked in China by their guv) that shows breathing winter air in China (full of coal dust) is like smoking two packs of cigarettes a day.

Further, my partner and I have been trying to have our second child for over a year and despite frequent sex, we can't get pregnant. Now we learn all the chemicals in the water destroy the motility of sperm and even cause prostrate cancer in men and ovarian cancer in women. Just google "China, fertility, problems, pollution" and prepare to be shocked. http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/water.htm

For the crappy pay offered in China $30,000 a year tops for foreigners, do you really want to risk your health?

ReputationRep:
    That is shocking.

I was actually hoping to work in China as a teacher one day, but this completely changes my view.

I never knew the smoke was that bad

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.