Turn on thread page Beta

He liked me when I was a loser, now i am successful he hates me watch

ReputationRep:
    It's really bothered me for a long time that someone who was my best friend absolutely betrayed me recently.

Long story short we've been friends for maybe 6 years or so, he was like a brother to me in many ways.

I've always been a bit mentally unstable and because of this I was doing poorly in life, few friends, poor grades and lacking direction in life, for many years I really just smoked my life away, taking to weed and other drugs to cope, really a cocktail for disaster. I'm pretty sure I have some kind had some kind of mental illness during this time, possibly depression and bi-polar or a mix of the two,

During some of the most darkest times in my life though he was always there, right beside me. My best friend. One day though I decided enough was enough, I was tired of wasting my potential as a stoner and I changed my life in my 3rd year. I went teetotal, quit everything, even cigarettes which I'd been smoking for 5 years. I completely changed my whole life.

Long story short - my life improved so much when I changed myself, I started gaining weight and looking better, my health went up and as did my happiness. I also started to do really well in uni, firsts across the board. I met an amazing girl who is my girlfriend to this day, someone who wouldn't have looked at me twice if I was still the smoking stoner I once was...

I also started making projects again, and coded around 5 apps on the play store that have gone on to be very successful, everything started going great for me. I graduated uni in June in Computer Science.

Because of the apps on the play store and my huge digital portfolio of content I was confounded by employers and job offers. I eventually ended up doing really well and securing a great job in central london.

Throughout this whole amazing transformation of my life, which was once depressing, lonely and full of drugs and was now bright. i Never forgot who I was, I never boasted or thought I was better than anyone because I knew of the struggle. I was if anything humble knowing how lucky I was to be able to escape where I was...

but throughout all my success and transformation my friendship with my friend got worse, and worse and worse, the more and more I became happy, he resented me for it. Yet he always claimed his life was great, and I was happy for him, it seemed he didn't like seeing me happy. he wanted me to be that guy he used to know who was drugged up and had no friends, who was a loser.

We argued a lot and he cut me off many times, saying i'd changed, that I was getting too arrogant and he didn't like the new me, he said I was being too competitive.

I never saw it as a competition between us, but he did, and now he hates me. It went so far that he snapped one day and said how he thought he was better looking than me, richer than me and stronger than me, out of nowhere, he then went on to insult my new girlfriend, called my ugly and made fun of my mental problems.

This literally came from nowhere and it was so unexpected, this hatred he had for me, I can't help but think what the hell I did wrong, all I ever wanted to do was improve my life.

So i've lost one of the best friends in my life, I'm in the greatest and happiest periods of my life, but I don't have a best friend, it sucks a lot, it really does.

Has this or anything similar happened to anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Find an new bf :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    There's fourteen paragraphs in that post and you've said "long story short" twice.

Nothing was shortened at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah people hated me when I was successful and now that I've become a 'loser' - it shows that a lot of people are either envious or competitive. U have other friends and its sad that you have to let go of that friend who there for you, but why do you need his company at this moment, if he makes u feel down?

Your story btw made me tear up a bit, makes me feel hopeful

ReputationRep:
    He sounds like a jealous, bitter narcissist. Maybe it's for the best that he's now out of your life.

ReputationRep:
    I recognised you were mentally unstable even before you said it. Hope things are ok now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    Find an new bf :hugs:
    Lol I don't *think* he is gay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    maybe the friendship was built on pity and now that you're successful, he dont need to be by you anymore. felicia

ReputationRep:
    Ges yer tu sasuusfuul fah im, sew ey hiss gewoos

ReputationRep:
    Aww OP
    You should be glad he's out of your life, it looks like he wasn't a true friend. I know it's hard to lose a best friend, but it's life and these things happen, you just move on. You're in a great place right now, don't let this hurt you and just focus on yourself.
    Btw, you have been through so much and you're really successful now, I admire that.
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome Genius)
    I recognised you were mentally unstable even before you said it. Hope things are ok now.
    You came across as mentally unstable too, what made you think I was mentally unstable

yeah things are much better now I'm over the worst of it, I think a lot of people have a tough time in their 20's, it's pretty normal I think, I mean I think the weed really contributed to the mental health issues, but now I don't smoke I feel much better and I have my intelligence back which is nice

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that almost every 20-something normally undergoes personal problems and has mental issues?

Seems very fashionable. Can I buy a dose of social anxiety from the NHS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMaster102)
    It's really bothered me for a long time that someone who was my best friend absolutely betrayed me recently.

Long story short we've been friends for maybe 6 years or so, he was like a brother to me in many ways.

I've always been a bit mentally unstable and because of this I was doing poorly in life, few friends, poor grades and lacking direction in life, for many years I really just smoked my life away, taking to weed and other drugs to cope, really a cocktail for disaster. I'm pretty sure I have some kind had some kind of mental illness during this time, possibly depression and bi-polar or a mix of the two,

During some of the most darkest times in my life though he was always there, right beside me. My best friend. One day though I decided enough was enough, I was tired of wasting my potential as a stoner and I changed my life in my 3rd year. I went teetotal, quit everything, even cigarettes which I'd been smoking for 5 years. I completely changed my whole life.

Long story short - my life improved so much when I changed myself, I started gaining weight and looking better, my health went up and as did my happiness. I also started to do really well in uni, firsts across the board. I met an amazing girl who is my girlfriend to this day, someone who wouldn't have looked at me twice if I was still the smoking stoner I once was...

I also started making projects again, and coded around 5 apps on the play store that have gone on to be very successful, everything started going great for me. I graduated uni in June in Computer Science.

Because of the apps on the play store and my huge digital portfolio of content I was confounded by employers and job offers. I eventually ended up doing really well and securing a great job in central london.

Throughout this whole amazing transformation of my life, which was once depressing, lonely and full of drugs and was now bright. i Never forgot who I was, I never boasted or thought I was better than anyone because I knew of the struggle. I was if anything humble knowing how lucky I was to be able to escape where I was...

but throughout all my success and transformation my friendship with my friend got worse, and worse and worse, the more and more I became happy, he resented me for it. Yet he always claimed his life was great, and I was happy for him, it seemed he didn't like seeing me happy. he wanted me to be that guy he used to know who was drugged up and had no friends, who was a loser.

We argued a lot and he cut me off many times, saying i'd changed, that I was getting too arrogant and he didn't like the new me, he said I was being too competitive.

I never saw it as a competition between us, but he did, and now he hates me. It went so far that he snapped one day and said how he thought he was better looking than me, richer than me and stronger than me, out of nowhere, he then went on to insult my new girlfriend, called my ugly and made fun of my mental problems.

This literally came from nowhere and it was so unexpected, this hatred he had for me, I can't help but think what the hell I did wrong, all I ever wanted to do was improve my life.

So i've lost one of the best friends in my life, I'm in the greatest and happiest periods of my life, but I don't have a best friend, it sucks a lot, it really does.

Has this or anything similar happened to anyone else?

He liked the power imbalance and being dominating in the relationship you once had and now you determined and paved the way in your life, he hates that you succeeded and aren't the mess you used to be...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    A very jealous "friend".
    I just don't get it friends are supposed to be happy for each other when one does well, we were so close for 6 years, ****ing sucks this has happened tbh but he was a bad friend in the end no doubt, sucks when you think you know someone, turns out..

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.