Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can the UK arrest a foreign leader for war crimes? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/105446

I am not taking side in this argument but one would wonder if these people who started such petition ever wonder the consequences/backlash of arresting benjamin netanyahu. Is it even possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)

I am not taking side in this argument but one would wonder if these people who started such petition ever wonder the consequences/backlash of arresting benjamin netanyahu. Is it even possible?
    Good luck with that one.

Out of interest, does the petition ask for the arrest of Mahmoud Abbas?

ReputationRep:

Only for crimes he's guilty of under UK law and even then they'd have to break the Vienna Convention surrounding Diplomatic Immunity.

If he was to be arrested then he would be prosecuted in the Hague but no arrest warrant has been issued.

ReputationRep:
    Lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Cause a war I imagine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Good luck with that one.

Out of interest, does the petition ask for the arrest of Mahmoud Abbas?
    What war crimes is Abbas supposed to have committed or be responsible for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    What war crimes is Abbas supposed to have committed or be responsible for?
    Allowing attacks against civilians to be launched from Palestine?

Somebody seems to think that anything the Israelis do is bad. Anything that Palestinians do is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Allowing attacks against civilians to be launched from Palestine?
    According to many Zionists and a view that is sometimes expressed here, there never was a state called Palestine and there isn't one now.

Do you know how difficult it is to exercise control over a land that doesn't exist? In fact, I'd say that it is practically impossible.

Somebody seems to think that anything the Israelis do is bad. Anything that Palestinians do is good.
    I think that's slightly simplifying a complex issue. We hold Israel responsible because it is a fully fledged nation and that comes with obligations and responsibilities, something that Israel has never really appreciated.

The Israeli's can, if they so desired, rid themselves of Statehood, rendering themselves stateless in the process and embark upon whatever course of action they deem reasonable to improve their situation, thus reducing their obligations and their responsibilities.

Of course, the resulting effect would probably end Western support for the "terrorist Israel's", a more complex trade agreements with various nations, a scrutinized and sanction led nuclear programme, an inability of it's "citizens" to travel anywhere and a whole host of other issues that face many Palestinians today.

Somehow, I just can't see that happening.

ReputationRep:

UK law allows universal jurisdiction to be applied in cases of war crimes, terrorism, sex crimes against children, hostage taking, torture, fraud and bribery. In these cases, private prosecutions can be sought if the state does not take action.
    A UK court issued an arrest warrant for Israeli politician Tzipi Livni in 2009 but it was quickly rescinded. Apparently a lot of IDF personnel refuse to travel to the UK over fears pro-Palestinian activists will seek their arrest over trumped up Pallywood-inspired charges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    According to many Zionists and a view that is sometimes expressed here, there never was a state called Palestine and there isn't one now.

Do you know how difficult it is to exercise control over a land that doesn't exist? In fact, I'd say that it is practically impossible.
    Do you know how difficult it is to occupy a state that doesn't exist? In fact, I'd say that it is practically impossible.
    We hold Israel responsible because it is a fully fledged nation and that comes with obligations and responsibilities, something that Israel has never really appreciated.
    Maybe Israel is not fledged enough to judge leaders of other countries? Maybe it is so not fledged that can consider the arrest of its leader as act of war?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admonit)
    Do you know how difficult it is to occupy a state that doesn't exist? In fact, I'd say that it is practically impossible.
    I couldn't possibly comment.

I don't go around occupying other people's spaces but clearly, you seem to be talking from experience.

Maybe Israel is not fledged enough to judge leaders of other countries? Maybe it is so not fledged that can consider the arrest of its leader as act of war?
    You either are a state or you are not a state. If you would like to call yourself a state, then you sign up to the obligations and responsibilities that are placed upon you as a state.

Furthermore, I think nearly 70 years would be a long enough time to consider yourself an established state. Since the recognition of Israel as a state in 1948, there have been a further 127 (out of 197) states who have been allocated state status.

ReputationRep:

We can arrest the president of the USA if we like it does make it

1. Legal
    2. Worth the consequences

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.