Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have an interview for a PGCE course, and I have been told that I need to carry out a 5 minute teaching lesson where I teach the other candidates (around 5) a particular skill or something specific. It has to be aimed at teaching adults rather than children, and I am stumped as to what skill i could teach an adult for 5 minutes, i'm only used to teaching 4-5 year olds! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of the task is to demonstrate how well you are are planning appropriate lessons.

Us helping you isn't going to benefit you in the long-run. They're not expecting you be amazing when you aren't a teacher yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will6794)
    Hello,

I have an interview for a PGCE course, and I have been told that I need to carry out a 5 minute teaching lesson where I teach the other candidates (around 5) a particular skill or something specific. It has to be aimed at teaching adults rather than children, and I am stumped as to what skill i could teach an adult for 5 minutes, i'm only used to teaching 4-5 year olds! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    They will be looking to see:

how well you can communicate an idea (doesn't hurt to use the old structure of 'I'm going to tell you about' followed by the content, followed by a reminder 'this is what you've learned')

whether you can bring it in within the allocated 5 minutes rather than running out of time (too much content) or finishing too early (too little content). Five minutes is nothing - practice with a timer.

how you act in front of an audience - are you confident and relaxed, or worried and stumbling over your words? An audience of adults can be more scary than a group of 5 year olds! Preparation and loads of rehearsal will help.

how well you get your ideas across - if you're enthusiastic about what you are saying, your audience will be more likely to learn.

So, bearing in mind all of the above, the content really isn't important - choose something that you know about and that you're keen for others to know about.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.