Turn on thread page Beta

Q; Which of these has the highest rates of TB; London, Iraq, Rwanda, Eritea? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A; London.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/615...ration-poverty

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/1012/10121603

Absolutely hilarious. Mass immigration is a factor, yes. But what is also hugely responsible is having a huge number of people in a small area who despite paying large sums out in rent still live in substandard housing.

I find it so funny how this ex-UKIP man was vilified for saying London was a dirty dump;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34749969

The truth is that while people continue to do nothing about the growing wealth inequality and house prices situation things like this will only get worse.

London has worse rates for TB than Rwanda, Eritea and Iraq...incredible.

ReputationRep:
    You only have to walk around parts of London like Tower Hamlets to realise this....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    You only have to walk around parts of London like Tower Hamlets to realise this....
    The problem for me is that this isn't just an immigration problem, it is also due to the housing crisis. We are literally going back to the Victorian times.

This link shows the population of London.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_London#Population

Even with mass immigration it has only just returned to the level seen in the 1930's'. The numbers are a huge problem (the services the population need today are much more than back then) but what is also the problem is the housing crisis. The numbers are not the root cause of this issue; they exasperate it but the real issue is the housing crisis that Labour and the Tories have utterly failed to deal with (in my view anyway).

ReputationRep:
    Not long till good ol' cholera makes a surprise return

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    The problem for me is that this isn't just an immigration problem, it is also due to the housing crisis. We are literally going back to the Victorian times.

This link shows the population of London.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_London#Population

Even with mass immigration it has only just returned to the level seen in the 1930's'. The numbers are a huge problem (the services the population need today are much more than back then) but what is also the problem is the housing crisis. The numbers are not the root cause of this issue; they exasperate it but the real issue is the housing crisis that Labour and the Tories have utterly failed to deal with (in my view anyway).
    So how is it nothing to do with immigration?

More immigrants = less available houses!

And these immigrants aren't exactly rocket scientists!

ReputationRep:
    So how is it nothing to do with immigration?

More immigrants = less available houses!

And these immigrants aren't exactly rocket scientists!
    Nothing? I don't remember saying it was "nothing". I said clearly in several posts it was a problem.

However, when the population of London has only just returned to the level it was at in the 1930's it is evident that the numbers currently in London are not the sole reason; immigration plays a part but what is also the problem is how few houses there are on the market and those that are reasonably priced are often dilapidated.

Many immigrants aren't rocket scientists but then most native English people aren't either. In my personal view it amazes me how despite having a free and high quality education system the native English manage to not get jobs over both EU and non-EU migrants who never had the education opportunities the native British had. I mean the way immigration is supposed to work is that you, with your high quality education, do the good jobs and they do the poor and low paid. However, as it turns out if we want doctors we have to look to foreigners because British people don't want to do it. This is a high paying, high prestige job and British people evidently don't want to become GP's-why?

The classic argument over employing foreigners is due to low wages-well GP's can get huge salaries. I'm not sure what immigrants being rocket scientists has to do with this thread, but since it is mentioned I have to be honest the native population in my view really should be laughed at for being less employable than migrants from the likes of Poland, Bulgaria and Romania.

ReputationRep:
    Nigel Farage on the topic from around 6 mins onwards. I completely agree with him;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78VpAtYJNOY

ReputationRep:
    Nothing? I don't remember saying it was "nothing". I said clearly in several posts it was a problem.

However, when the population of London has only just returned to the level it was at in the 1930's it is evident that the numbers currently in London are not the sole reason; immigration plays a part but what is also the problem is how few houses there are on the market and those that are reasonably priced are often dilapidated.

Many immigrants aren't rocket scientists but then most native English people aren't either. In my personal view it amazes me how despite having a free and high quality education system the native English manage to not get jobs over both EU and non-EU migrants who never had the education opportunities the native British had. I mean the way immigration is supposed to work is that you, with your high quality education, do the good jobs and they do the poor and low paid. However, as it turns out if we want doctors we have to look to foreigners because British people don't want to do it. This is a high paying, high prestige job and British people evidently don't want to become GP's-why?

The classic argument over employing foreigners is due to low wages-well GP's can get huge salaries. I'm not sure what immigrants being rocket scientists has to do with this thread, but since it is mentioned I have to be honest the native population in my view really should be laughed at for being less employable than migrants from the likes of Poland, Bulgaria and Romania.

-You are moaning about housing problems
    -Immigrants require housing
    -More immigrants = more demand on housing
    -99% of these immigrants arent exactly rocket scientists and are, to be blunt, absolutely worthless to this country

Many immigrants aren't rocket scientists but then most native English people aren't either.
    Do we have a choice whether to admit natives? No
    Do we have a choice whether to admit immigrants? Yes

So telling me how some British people are doesn't justify admitting 2 million useless, low-skilled immigrants and then whinging about housing!

ReputationRep:
    Are you purposely thick?

-You are moaning about housing problems
    -Immigrants require housing
    -More immigrants = more demand on housing
    -99% of these immigrants arent exactly rocket scientists and are, to be blunt, absolutely worthless to this country

and the most idiotic thing you said:

Do we have a choice whether to admit natives? No
    Do we have a choice whether to admit immigrants? Yes

So telling me how stupid some British people are doesn't justify admitting 2 million useless, low-skilled immigrants and then whinging about housing!
    The purposely thick person is the one who seems to miss the fact that I have clearly said immigration is a problem. However, housing is the purpose of this thred. Immigration has been discussed to death on here. Talk about something else for a change?

Are you capable of posting on a single thread without moaning about immigration? I have yet to see it on this forum.

99% are absolutely worthless to this country? When you say that it shows how bitter you really are; if 99% were unemployed then fine, but many are worth something.

And as for your choice question; it disrespectful to label migrants as "99% absolutely worthless" due to their supposed lack of intelligence when they are actually more competitive in the jobs market than native Brits. If you are going to label migrants as "absolutely worthless" due to them not being rocket scientists you may wish to look at the people they are displacing in the jobs market (the native Brits) and state how thy are evidently less than absolutely worthless.

ReputationRep:
    This is pure intellectual dishonesty. You are comparing a city against three countries that have been cherry picked to make your argument sound as shocking as possible.

ReputationRep:
    There was me thinking that badgers had the highest rates of TB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    This is pure intellectual dishonesty. You are comparing a city against three countries that have been cherry picked to make your argument sound as shocking as possible.
    1) The rates account for population differences, 2) London is our capital and most propserous region, 3) It is highlighting the situation in the whole of London. I mean picking one street would be cherry picking, the whole of London not so much. Are you saying that the statistics aren't shocking?

Intellectual dishonesty is claiming that it is "cherry picking" to include London, a sizeable area in a country that is much wealthier than the others.

ReputationRep:
    1) The rates account for population differences, 2) London is our capital and most propserous region, 3) It is highlighting the situation in the whole of London. I mean picking one street would be cherry picking, the whole of London not so much. Are you saying that the statistics aren't shocking?

Intellectual dishonesty is claiming that it is "cherry picking" to include London, a sizeable area in a country that is much wealthier than the others.
    I realise the rates account for population size, but it's still intellectually dishonest to compare a city to a country. It's not shocking whatsoever that a densely populated city has higher rates of tuberculosis than an entire country because tuberculosis is a disease that thrives in densely populated areas. Country-wide figures include rural areas that bring the per capita figure down significantly.

ReputationRep:
    I realise the rates account for population size, but it's still intellectually dishonest to compare a city to a country. It's not shocking whatsoever that a densely populated city has higher rates of tuberculosis than an entire country because tuberculosis is a disease that thrives in densely populated areas. Country-wide figures include rural areas that bring the per capita figure down significantly.
    Yes, but when you consider that these countries are war torn and incredibly poor compared to the huge wealth and NHS of London I think it is fair to compare and complain.

Rwanda, Eritea, Iraq, have all been ravaged by extreme violence. They have so many displaced people. They are poor. London may be more populated but it is incredibly wealthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    There was me thinking that badgers had the highest rates of TB.
    Being bitten by a badger is less likely to give you TB than being bitten by a Londoner in certain areas in particular.

I propose a cull to reduce the threat. Trained marksmen only to do it-this was government policy for the badgers so I see no reason why it shouldn't work for London.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but when you consider that these countries are war torn and incredibly poor compared to the huge wealth and NHS of London I think it is fair to compare and complain.

Rwanda, Eritea, Iraq, have all been ravaged by extreme violence. They have so many displaced people. They are poor. London may be more populated but it is incredibly wealthy.
    Sorry, but no matter how you swing it comparing a city to a country is a totally dishonest use of statistics. Compare cities to cities and countries to countries.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but no matter how you swing it comparing a city to a country is a totally dishonest use of statistics. Compare cities to cities and countries to countries.
    Sorry but it really isn't. You say "intellectuallt dishonest". We aren't doing anything intellectual here-just discussing newspaper stories. Hence on the news and current affairs thread. The news has reported this. I am discussing it.

If you want to just discuss the news then this is forum for you-the news is discussed, and the general story is discussed. The news is still laughable for reasons I gave above.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but it really isn't. You say "intellectuallt dishonest". We aren't doing anything intellectual here-just discussing newspaper stories. Hence on the news and current affairs thread. The news has reported this. I am discussing it.

If you want to just discuss the news then this is forum for you-the news is discussed, and the general story is discussed. The news is still laughable for reasons I gave above.
    It's not news, it's cheap sensationalism.

ReputationRep:
    It's not news, it's cheap sensationalism.
    It is news. Stop taking things so seriously. I mean one guy here started talking about badger culing-he gets the idea; we are just talking about stories in the news, not looking to produce an academic piece of work.
    Lighten up.
    http://orig01.deviantart.net/9bbd/f/...by-d7rdv5z.jpg

ReputationRep:
    It is news. Stop taking things so seriously. I mean one guy here started talking about badger culing-he gets the idea; we are just talking about stories in the news, not looking to produce an academic piece of work.
    Lighten up.
    http://orig01.deviantart.net/9bbd/f/...by-d7rdv5z.jpg
    I was being sarcastic... shooting badgers is just fun.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.